sirVeil

pc or all in one unit

i am think ing of replacing a tape system with digital. if i do which route should i take. a pc with a card or a all in one unit.

anyone have any recommendations.

thanks

How many cameras do you have or will be using in the future? Also what is being recorded. High value items usually require a DVR with more FPS. Both embedded and PC base systems have their advantages so a lot will depend on the details of your application.

i am think ing of replacing a tape system with digital. if i do which route should i take. a pc with a card or a all in one unit.

anyone have any recommendations.

thanks

if you are s witching from tape then I imagine you are looking for maintenance free and ease of use. In that case id suggest an all in one such as the Kalatel StoreSafe, or another brand. They are just plug and play and ready to go. You rarely have to go back to them once they are on a Line conditioner and a UPS.

Whatever advantages a PC board system has, the biggest drawback is that it is a PC and we all know how reliable windows is! )

Whatever advantages a PC board system has, the biggest drawback is that it is a PC and we all know how reliable windows is! )

PC Based systems are never as reliable as non pc based systems, howver it is a myth that they are unreliable, the problem is that most people selling DVR boards have no idea about compatability issues with north bridge chipsets and the hint bridge of the capture card and therfore windows gets blamed and PC based systems get a bad name, you can shell out windows to make it run much more smoothly, to be honest a lot of comapanies push the angle of plug and play standalone because the proffit margin is so large because they are cheap to manufacture. You can get cheap PC units that will be much better than any standalone product but yes, operating systems if not set up correctly can cause problems and windows does have some issues, howver 90% of the bad image PC platforms have are from people who do not know how to use them!

You can get cheap PC units that will be much better than any standalone product but yes, operating systems if not set up correctly can cause problems and windows does have some issues, howver 90% of the bad image PC platforms have are from people who do not know how to use them!

What are people doing wrong in setting up the operating systems. Or are you just talking about certain cards not working right?

Any suggestions?

Brad

You can get cheap PC units that will be much better than any standalone product but yes, operating systems if not set up correctly can cause problems and windows does have some issues, howver 90% of the bad image PC platforms have are from people who do not know how to use them!

What are people doing wrong in setting up the operating systems. Or are you just talking about certain cards not working right?

Any suggestions?

Brad

Its called WINDOWS, its just not a stable OS, even with win2k or NT. Stand Alone DVRs (non PC based) are machines, using embedded OS's, much more stable, they dont crash and require no maintenance.

However, what DVR australie is atalking about (was as this is an old topic) is that you can tweak a windows OS and it will be more than 3 times faster than it is by default. Most people just leave it like it is, or run other programs such as MSN, AOL, instanr messanger, or have 50 other programs on start up, ALONG with streaming video, which just crushes the windows kernel, he doesnt like all that stuff!