cdr_wm

Connecting to IP camera

I searched through the messages for something about connecting an IP camera to Geovision and saw only one post on the subject (which I'm not allowed to provide a link to), which said that this is not possible to do.

In version 8.1 of the program, there is a selection on the Configure menu for "Camera / Audio Install", which has a sub-menu called "IP Camera Install". Selecting this opens the IP Camera Setup box, where you are able to enter the camera IP address, port, etc.

It certainly appears like you are able to connect to an IP camera. But when I enter the info for my IP camera, and ask to connect, I get an error saying "Unable to connect to the video server".

Is this function not working yet? The menu option is not mentioned in the users manual for v8.1. Do I need additional hardware to make this work? I have used many other webcam programs that allow connection to an IP camera, so it doesn't seem to be a difficult thing to do.

Why can't Geovision do this?

Hi

As far as I am aware this feature is to add cameras connected to the new geovision video server.

The video server has two channels for standard cctv cameras.

You can then link them into an existing system over your LAN / Internet.

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad that you have to pay out another $500 in order to connect IP cameras. I don't see the point if all you want to do is connect regular cctv cameras. Why not just upgrade to another GV card?

Plus their video server does nothing for a wireless IP camera, which you can get pretty cheap. I guess I'll start looking for other software.

The main reasons I can see the GV Video Server being used are as follows;

1. Residential areas, where they only need 2 cameras, and do not want / need a PC.

2. If there is a camera (analogue) located at a geograpically difficult area, then you can make the GV Video Server wireless, and connect it to the GeoVision server over the LAN.

We have found the GV Video Server to be a very popular product.

next version of the software will allow you to connect other IP cameras, not just ones connected through the geovision video server........so you will just have to wait

next version of the software will allow you to connect other IP cameras, not just ones connected through the geovision video server........so you will just have to wait

OK that's good to know. Thanks. How often do updates come out?

the update for the IP cameras will be the latter part of this year, this is all Geovision will tell me at the moment

Cool. I can't wait for that to happen. I think that feature is long over due.