videobruce

Are there any DVRs' with built-in PTZ control?

I don't mean ones that have RS485 terminals, but a recorder that can control the PTZ functions of a PTZ dome camera without using an external controller?

Edited by Guest

I don't mean ones that have RS485 terminals, but a recorder that can control the PTZ functions without using an external controller?

I don't understand the question. RS-485 is used for direct PTZ control.

If you are referring to accessing the PTZ's menu for setup and configuration, then yes. As long as the PTZ HAS an OSD for configuration changes most DVR's are able to call specific presets to access and change menu items (scans, patterns, tours, etc.)

What type of PTZ? Do you mean controlling a pan/tilt head and a zoom lens directly? If so, never heard of anything like that, you would normally need a telemetry reciever.

One day, I will get around to building a telem board myself, maybe even sell it if people are interested. But thats way in the future

just look at most taiwanees / korean dvr's. Most of them try to be compatible with lots of different PTZ / dome protocols.

Do you mean controlling a pan/tilt head and a zoom lens directly?

Yes. IOWs', something that would eliminate the need for a separate controller for the cameras.

Do you mean controlling a pan/tilt head and a zoom lens directly?

Yes. IOWs', something that would eliminate the need for a separate controller for the cameras.

Most DVR's do this already??? Either the DVR has an on screen virtual keyboard which can control the PTZ locally. Or you can interface the same way through IE or the client software. .

I DON'T THINK WE ARE FOLLOWING.

No, via RS-485.

Then there would be no need for a PTZ controller? Aren't you loosing some functions?

No functions are loss. Like phred said unlimited.

You could pan, tilt, zoom, access menu, setup tours, presets, scans, patterns, everything. Either at the DVR or through the net.

Not all have this, and the ones that do may differ in how they control and what protocols they support. You'd have to check the manual to know for sure.

I've recently started using the Samsung Techwin SVR-440 4 channel DVR, and it supports PTZ using the Samsung SPD, Pelco D, and SRX protocols. I don't have any PTZ cameras, though, so I can't tell you how well it works...

I'm using AVC760 & it has all the PTZ functions built in, except auto scan features. Control via RS485 protocol.

Well, if the DVR does not support auto scan then maybe the PTZ does. This can be programmed via the PTZ's OSD (if it has one) and called via a preset.

What PTZ make and model are you using?

most higher end and even more lower end dvr's have ptz control built right into the software.

aacomnj

regarding the ge, i would love to hear of anyone getting a PTZ other than ge's legend PTZ to work on a ge dvr. Its a pain and sorta surprising how much it sucks unless you got a 2 or 3 thousand dollar legend cam.

There is an Mpeg 4 DVR that is listed with a Texas Surveillance distributor, and a Miami Surveillance distributor.

The product is an excellent entry level stand alone DVR, and with all of its features, and it can use remote software, or IE. Through server E / Video Viewer, or IE the picture looks great. This DVR is listed on the respective companies web sites and through their respective catalogues as having PTZ control.

I cannot speak of the Texas based supplier, but I did order one from the Miami base distributor. I love the product even though it is an entry level product. It worked fine (using video server E, or Video Viewer)!

For local control you will have to buy an external controller, or use a computer and the software, and control the PTZ through the LAN.