jisaac

Panasonic requires certification to resell I-pro line.

In about 3 weeks panasonic is going to require that any dealer/installer that sells or installs there I-pro line of IP hardware will have to complete a 3 level certification that will be pretty thorough and detailed.

what do you guys think?

good idea?

Not sure, dont know what a level 3 would entail.....

I know for sure not all companies use certification for its intented purpose (making stuff better for the end user) but tend to use it just for making lots of money, as they charge a fortune for testing/training. Is panasonic charging for the test/training? If so, I would tend to have doubts...

thats an excellent question. I dont think so. My panasonic rep was saying that the reason they were doing it was to ensure the proper set up and overall good product name all the way down to the people installing. They dont want to have people trying to install and then tying up the support and still not properly configuring and then blaming the overall performance to the end user on panasonic

If its genuine then it's a good thing. When I worked at the Sage Group in the UK I know that they relied heavily on training, so did not like to fix certain problems, nor make things easy for users - they wanted then to have to pay for support/training. In fact, I was ordered to slow down fixing things, as I was embarassing them....

I guess that's a common practice when coping with higher-end IP systems (like Pelco's Endura). Although here I guess that the Panasonic I-pro stuff should be very straight forward. Unless they've been showing revolutionary things at ISC, there current range only has some cams, recoders and a viewing software. No need to be certified for these standard components in my opinion.

Hopefully they will try and fix alot of the IP marketing hype. Alot of installation companies have bought into alot of BS that in reality is very questionable.

Using customer's prexisting LAN saves wiring costs.

This is a pretty technical area, yes it's possible but 90% it's not practical. Current cameras take up too much bandwidth to be just be hap hazardly added onto an existing network. If they have an IT dept or you choose to research enough it can be done right. Often it's less headache to install a dedicated LAN for the cameras and have the DVR/NVR bridge it. This is how it works with analog systems, it's just their network is over coax.

you know what I like about panasonic? is that tbey are straight forward about their products.

Like take for example:

they are the only manufacturer that will specifically tell you if their camera is a ir cut filter mechanically being removed or if it is a chrominance signal being removed.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=102546&catGroupId=14459&surfModel=WV-CF294T

everyone else will say day/night and thats it.

you know what I like about panasonic? is that tbey are straight forward about their products.

Like take for example:

they are the only manufacturer that will specifically tell you if their camera is a ir cut filter mechanically being removed or if it is a chrominance signal being removed.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=102546&catGroupId=14459&surfModel=WV-CF294T

everyone else will say day/night and thats it.

The fact that it's not BS either is a nice bonus in this business too.