qman

Camera "ghosting"

I have a question

Some installations that I've done, I have the misfortunate of having "ghosting" on some of the cameras, wheather is using CAT5, RG59U, or siamese with 2 18 gauge power, and rg59U.

Is there a rule of thumb that I should be following?

Thanks!

OK, as simple as this...

I take the camera, I splice both ends to a cat 5, example:

Blue/Blue White----------- Video

Orange/Orange White----- Power.

I then take the other end, the one going to either the DVR, Multiplexer, Quad, ETC, I splice it into a rg59U, and into a power supply, that has 12V, 500mA.

now, I thought that the problem was all the slpicing, so I stared to use siamese cable, make the ends ?(bnc, Barrel Plug) to both ends, and the same thing.. it does not happen often, but when it does, it drives me insaine.

Thanks!

What type of camera are you using? Is it one of the ones that came in a kit with modular plugs, or does the camera have a BNC connector on it? Also what is the distance you are running from camera back to source and power supply and what is the amperage of your supply?

Does your camera support 500ma? Alot of smaller 12v DC cameras only require 200ma or 300ma.

is it run anywhere near lighting, i found that can cause interference, though Ghosting, dont know if it will cause that.

Whats a barral plug? (sorry just wondering) Is it a BNC-RCA adaptor?

Have you tested the RG59 to make sure you have good voltage and no interference?

Have you tested it direct into a monitor without going into the mux/quad/processor?

Like Alan said, sounds alot like a connection issue. Ive spliced some cameras before, Im not sure if what I had was ghosting, whatever it was it caused sideways lines. Turned out to be bad power boards on the micro lens cameras (in other words cheap power boards! in some expensive GBC ceiling mount cameras also!)

Ofcourse I have spliced many others without any issues at all (but i only splice when I have no other choice)

I'm running the cameras anywhere from 20-200 feet from camera to source, and yes, they all have bnc ends.

a barrel plug is basically the power supply tip.

it's not that happens all the time, just wondering what I should stay away from to avoid it happen.

Couple of things can be happening. First, if you are using the CAT 5, you have to use it with a balun. There are many available, a couple that you might look into are NVT and Vitek. I'll post links for you. Running just CAT 5 will result in a serious degradation of signal loss. If you are running straight coax from camera to whatever device then you should be using BNC connectors on both ends, presuming the camera has a BNC on it. Power should be within 20' or you will need to get a higher amp power supply. Generally what is happening in most cases is that the signal strength at the device end (quad, mux, dvr) is way too low for that device to properly process the video. Also make sure that whatever device you are using is set to terminate at the connector unless you are going to loop through to another device. I'd lay odds on the fact that either the current at the camera is too low or you are seriously degrading the signal by not matching it properly using baluns or the wrong type of coax. Make sure any coax you use is copper braid (not aluminum of any kind) with copper core or copper clad core.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=167

http://www.nvt.com/

Could be a bunch of things however I would assume it is because you are using CAT5 which is not sheilded and your running the power right in top of it, see if your run is going near any EMI like Fluoro Lighting etc.

A balan may fix the problem, however I NEVER use CAT 5 as degredation is too hard to prevent. You are running long runs therfore I would suggest HIGHER quality RG59 or Quad Sheilded RG6 as a last resort if you can not put a distribution amplifier in.

The other things to note is that you may be using a Television instead of a terminated monitor and you need to check the voltage at the camera end.

The best bet would be RG59 with a distribution amp or if you can afford it Fibre Optic Cable as it is not affected by any noise at all.

I would guess that your signal is not strong enough and if it works on a monitor and not on DVR that would ring true as the signal strength is .1 of a volt different. Try changing the Gain control settings of your capture device or the camera as well and check your signal to noise rating of the camera.