pk5

How to change ip address on linksys for port forwarding?

Hi everyone

Currently i have a MPEG4 dvr, a linksys router, and a Hughes Satellite connection. I can determine my static ip address for the satellite manually, but the Linksys will not detect the static ip address, how can i setup the system for remote viewing?

So far i have set up the DVR for:

Static IP: 192.168.1.99

Port: 8080

Masking: 255.255.255.0

Gate: 192.168.1.1

Nothing change on the linksys yet, i couldn't figure out how to change the ip address without error, even though i already set it up for port forwarding

Port forwarding info:

name: dvr

port: 192.168.1.99 - port 8080

What should i do next to be able to view it remotely?

thanks

yes i can access the dvr locally, i just can't seem to make the port forwarding work or get the router to detect the ip address automatically (do i need to make it detect the ip?) Right now if i access the router status it show the local ip 192.168.0.5, while if i am on my netgear router (different place), it will show the modem ip address.

thanks

Your router IP is most likely the one in my avatar.

Linksys will allow you ro specify and IP address in the connection tab. HOWEVER you MUST pay your ISP for a static IP, if you don't it won't work.

To set it change the connection type from PPOE to Static and fill in the blanks with the data your ISP provided you (IP, gateway and DNS).

If you know you are paying for a static address and their HDCP server is giving you dynamic ones and they didn't provide you the connection info. Usually you can just copy the info from the status page in the router.

Hi

if my ip address is dynamic, how do i set it up so that i can view the cctv remotely? The information that i receive from the company, indicate that i have to make sure that my linksys router display a non-local ip address. As it turn out i assumed incorrectly that i have a static ip address, only the pro package get ip address, even on satellite.... ....

So after i set the dvr to a certain gateway and ip address as indicate above, how can i set it so that i can access it?

So far i set:

1) dvr to ip address: 192.168.1.99

a) dvr port: 8080

b) dvr masking: 255.255.255.0

c) dvr gateway: 192.168.1.1

2) linksys to port forward to: 192.168.1.99 port: 8080

I can access it locally, but i don't know how to access it from outside the network?

thanks

Go to DynDNS.com and setup a free dynamic DNS account.

EDIT: Ax the next line...

//Install the DynDNS updater client on the DVR machine.

Thes two were more either/or not both. This is just another optional way of updating.

Put your DynDNS info into the routers DynDNS page.

Access the DVR from yourdomain.dyndns.com:8080

Edited by Guest

Hi

My dvr is a stand alone dvr so i can't install the dyns client,

This is the dvr that i hav:

cpcamcctv.ca/dvr.htm it is the 4 channel one.

Should i just setup the dyns with the ip address, and will dyns detect if my ip address change?

thanks

Even though I do NOT have a static IP, my IP does not renew for atleast 24HRs.

I configured my router for the current IP and allowed port forwarding.

Before my IP lease renews, I should be able to remote access via my IP:port forwarding. Right?

Yes, I can remote access via local IP.

would DynDNS solve that problem? Logically, it is only converting IP numbering to verbal addressing.

AVermedia5000

Linksys router

jack.iknowjack@gmail.com

Hi

My dvr is a stand alone dvr so i can't install the dyns client,

Should i just setup the dyns with the ip address, and will dyns detect if my ip address change?

Put the info from DynDNS in the router's DynDNS page, if you don't have one check for a firmware update.

Even though I do NOT have a static IP, my IP does not renew for atleast 24HRs.

I configured my router for the current IP and allowed port forwarding.

Before my IP lease renews, I should be able to remote access via my IP:port forwarding. Right?

Yes, I can remote access via local IP.

would DynDNS solve that problem? Logically, it is only converting IP numbering to verbal addressing.

If you manually specify and IP address but do not in reality have a static IP address...

Okay it will work and sometimes it will for a while. If however that specific IP is assigned by the ISP's DHCP server to someone else your hosed. You will stay hosed until that other computer's lease is up or it requests a new configuration. So it might work for months might not last through tomorrow. Also your ISP can tell you have done this, it is totally their option weather or not to ever allow you that IP again. If they ban you from it you won't reconnect until you manually change the router config.

You should add your DynDNS info to the DynDNS page in your linksys router.

You can install the DynDNS client updater on ANY computer on the same local network with the DVR. It doesn't need to be specifically installed on the DVR machine. This is also optional, it's either in the router's config or you use the updater client but you don't need both.

I forgot to mention the fact that:

keeping my IP configured current with my router, I still got the usual "page cannot be displayed"

not once could I remote connect to my dynamic provided IP

but using the local IP 192.168.52.102 works every time.

so, what else should I look at?

as I understand from what you said, it should temporarily work.

Do you have TCP ports 80, 8080, 9999 forwarded? If not thats probably your problem. You need more then just 80.

with my LinkSYS router, it will only let me enter a range of ports per application.

so I entered 80 through 8080.

I'm guessing that means it will allow everything in between.

it looks something like this:

Application/Start/End/Protocol/IP Address/Enable

I have not entered 9999 yet, I'm not at the server location right now.

I think the router is a WTG54G.

Don't know the firmware from the top of my head. I'll know later tonight when I go to work.

this is not an actual image of my router.

also, when I do get everything to work, all I have to do is enter my external IP:port right?

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT SO FAR!

57624_1.jpg

Yup and Yup.

Also that specific router may have optional firmware available. If so you should at least consider it.

Google

"turn your $60 router into a $600 router"

Happy reading.

I tried a load of numerous things today at work. still no success.

are there any scanners that will allow me to scan for open ports remotely?

I want to be able to scan that location from my house and see what is open, maybe that'll help.

My DNS is registered as iknowjack.dvrdns.org

I will post some pics of settings in a little bit...

PORT FORWARDING

57693_1.jpg

DMZ PORT TRIGGERING

57693_2.jpg

DDN SETTING

57693_3.jpg

PING/TRACE ROUTE

57693_4.jpg

LOCAL PING

57693_5.jpg

ROUTER SETTING

57693_6.jpg

AVerMedia DVR NETWORK SETTINGS

57693_7.jpg

I found a scanner for remote ports, but I didnt get too far because my ISP freezed my home acct for a few minutes.

The local ping worked for the router IP but not my DVR IP which is 192.168.52.102

Edited by Guest

What no screen cap of your software firewalls? CHECK'EM TWICE.

Change the webcam port from 80 to 81.

Recheck software firewalls for port 81.

If that works DISABLE the DMZ Host IP Address, thats not a good thing.

Recheck to see if it still works, if so you are done.

haha, yeah I forgot to check soft firewall settings.

I don't have any additional firewalls except for the default one that WIN XP comes with.

I will remember to check that.

so, it looks like I'm close?

why 81 and not 80? is it that it might be used already?

I don't have any IP cams installed, I just selected that box just in case.

All cams are connected via DVR BNC

ALSO, if it helps any, I have a DNS updater installed as well.

Thanks for keeping posted with me!!!

I am pretty sure Roadrunner blocks inbound port 80 for basic customers, swithing to 81 bypasses it.

You would then need to specify the port when connecting:

domain.org:81

Edit your posts after you are done to kill the record of your DynDNS info. Nobody will need it in the future and Google indexes this site rather well.

A few things I learned today:

Web Cam port on NV DVR server is the open port that gives me access when I connect locally (192.168.52.102 or 192.168.52.102:80)

I tried changing WebCam port from 80 to 81, but after doing so, it would not give me access locally either. So I had to put it back to 80.

Remote Console port I can access locally (using software issued Remote Console APP, but not web browser) using any port I assign it, BUT only when I assign 8080, it will show up open on local port scan.

Same as port 80, only when I assigned Web Cam port to 80, it would show up on local port scan.

However, only port 110 (POP3) would show on external IP scan.

All these scans have been done in the range of 1-9999

I checked Windows Firewall, the service is and has been disabled.

The DVR is using RoadRunner Business.

So far, does it still look like RR is blocking remote connections?

I did an online port scan on the external IP. It said all ports open, but I think they're just trying to advertise their firewall.

here's a couple more visuals, maybe it'll help:

57742_1.jpg

57742_2.jpg

Hmm. If it's roadrunner business it shouldn't be blocking port 80.

192.168.52.x is only a valid INTERNAL IP, you will never be able to scan it that way remotely. If it scans anything that way its because there just happens to also be a 192.168.52.x on the network you are scanning from.

If you wish to scan remotely or connect remotely you MUST use the IP of the router.

You couldn't connect locally after changing the webcam port from 80 to 81 because you were probably not specifing the port to use (80 is default). Once changed you would have

http://192.168.52.102:81

Any port used for http traffic other then 80 must be manually specified.

You might ask a local network buddy to look at this, I know if I were there it would have been done a while back. However it difficult doing these configurations via a forum.

dont know if it matters, but perhaps change BOTH in the port forwarding to TCP only. Also, Telnet is an easy way to test if a port is open at the remote IP.

8080 is the default port used by Linksys for remote router adminstration, if you have this enabled in the router it may be causing a conflict. The port can be changed if required in the router settings.

I don't know how Hughes satelite service works, but many DSL modems are actually combined modem/routers and act as a DHCP server and dole out an internal IP address to the machine(s). Most can be configured to "bridge" mode which will act as a straight modem.

The ip address you used to scan for open ports is an internal IP address, probably issued by the modem/router

What is the IP address returned by "www.whatismyip.com" or a similar service, try to access the DVR by that address not the address returned by "ipconfig" or the IP address in the router status page..

Hmm. If it's roadrunner business it shouldn't be blocking port 80.

You couldn't connect locally after changing the webcam port from 80 to 81 because you were probably not specifing the port to use (80 is default). Once changed you would have

http://192.168.52.102:81

Any port used for http traffic other then 80 must be manually specified.

You might ask a local network buddy to look at this, I know if I were there it would have been done a while back. However it difficult doing these configurations via a forum.

That was probably my second human error. I forgot to type :81 instead of :80

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll keep you updated.

I will apply everything else suggested when I get back to that location and let you guys know.