Rebco

dell pc monitor wake up problem

I have had 2 calls this month about my pc based geo systems, they have a problem were they just sometimes either freeze or they don't wake up ?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Yes make sure and turn off hybernation and really all of the power saver things... That box needs to run 24/7.

I use Dell computers, they work just fine.

Like Collin said you need to make sure that you don't have your power settings set to hibernate. It should be set to always stay on.

I'm sure the manufacture "geovision" would have a good reason why they would not recomend using a off the shelf system such as Dell, gateway whatever. I'm sure a Dell can be modified to work with geovision if someone spends the time to research the proper settings and hardware required to run a professional built DVR. The problem I see is that other readers may get the impression that anyone can simply buy a $399 Dell and slip in geovision card and it will be the same as a professionally build geovision DVR. Dell or any other brand home computer is not built, designed or setup to be used as a DVR. Doing so can lead to problems as descibed above or worse and even hurt a manufactures ( Geovision) reputation as being unstable or unreliable.

I'm sure the manufacture "geovision" would have a good reason why they would not recomend using a off the shelf system such as Dell, gateway whatever. I'm sure a Dell can be modified to work with geovision if someone spends the time to research the proper settings and hardware required to run a professional built DVR. The problem I see is that other readers may get the impression that anyone can simply buy a $399 Dell and slip in geovision card and it will be the same as a professionally build geovision DVR. Dell or any other brand home computer is not built, designed or setup to be used as a DVR. Doing so can lead to problems as descibed above or worse and even hurt a manufactures ( Geovision) reputation as being unstable or unreliable.

I agree.

You have to do your research.

I thought the main thing was to avoid the VIA chipset on the motherboards?

I built a Geovision DVR using a Dell with no modifications, but it was no where near the $399 price range.

Does Geovision give a reason? Do you have a link to the information regarding Geovision not recommending Dells?

Thanks.

Geovision use to have it on there website. I will have to look for it since they updated/revamped it about 6 months ago. The VIA chipset is a huge red flag and must be avoided.We have also had many motherboards that would meet geovisions specs such as having a Intel chipset with a ATI video card that simply would not work properly or would have a feature such as audio not work but the video would. Geovisions answer to why it was not compatible was "Some work and some don't. You need to test all configuratioons". Not to mention the windows setup and configuration. Dell tends to put alot of Free software and programs on there systems that can conflict with a DVR. Its basically a crap shoot if you buy a Dell to use as a DVR unless you know exactly what's in the box and if its hardware and software has been tested to be compatible with Geovision.

wow, i need to know were you guys go shopping for a dell system for $399, I have always built my own computers, just with intel chipsets. I am just using a dell box for my low end systems. I do turn off the hibernate setting, but i can hit the space bar and move the mouse and still nothing.

Any ideas are good ones. I don't want to make this thread an arguement about what company is better. Thank You

Is the system headless or doesit have a local monitor.

You still have something in power saving as the screen should never shut off, I don't even use screen savers.