blowrabbit

does the kind of router / hub affect performance

does the manufactors specific brand of hub affect performance of a remote view for cctv purposes ? this is when more than one devise is being used thru the router on a dsl line for again remote observation ? any help is appriecated.

not that I've seen. You will see reviews of CCTV camera's now that include bandwidth used over a network. ie. Axis207MW has MJPEG as it default and MPEG4 as the licensed. MJPEG used 20 - 25% where MPEG4 used less then 15% bandwidth.

QOS on Routers is another trick in the bag if your are looking for efficient CCTV. Use this properly and your CCTV will always have the priority.

No hubs should EVER be used in CCTV, only use real switches.

EDIT: It sounds like you don't have any hubs in the system anyway.

The long story YES just like everything else you get what you pay for. Cheap routers and switches mess up (excessive packet loss, fail to connect) and lock ups from time to time.

I disconected the hub [which allows multiple units to hook up to your dsl router connection for remote viewing] and the other unit and ran only the one dvr. I got a little better performance but not much. I am wondering if the specific model or brand of router/modem can dramatically increase your performance in a situation where your upload speeds from the remote site are at max 900 kbps ? I currently use an actionteck router/modem on a qwest dsl line. And can you use any router/modem you like if the qwest dsl can with the actionteck router/modem?

Since a basic router is like 100 Mbps it wont matter much, but you could expect lockups on cheaper ones with excessive bandwidth .. though your main bandwidth issue will remain with the ISP.

I locked my Linksys router up a couple times when testing 64 camera streaming on my software ... but not 100% sure that it wasnt actually the Cable Modem instead of the router .... either way they both locked up and had to be reset ..

see this image where i was streaming 51 connected cameras in 320x240 resolution each ... notice I wasnt even using 2.5% of the routers total bandwidth.

64wayEGWithBandwidth.jpg

I disconected the hub [which allows multiple units to hook up to your dsl router connection for remote viewing] and the other unit and ran only the one dvr. I got a little better performance but not much. I am wondering if the specific model or brand of router/modem can dramatically increase your performance in a situation where your upload speeds from the remote site are at max 900 kbps ? I currently use an actionteck router/modem on a qwest dsl line. And can you use any router/modem you like if the qwest dsl can with the actionteck router/modem?

dsl in the seattle area is very slow on uploads, you're probably limited to 256kbps like i am, and that's when the network is operating at minimum capacity... during peak hours my upload speeds usually drop down to 180kbps and sometimes lower..

Hubs, Switches and Routers Brands matter, models matter, but setup is more important.

Apart from your bottleneck at the DSL Router your setup is more important than your hardware. However your hardware can limit your setup.

A hub is an analogue repeater, that repeats out to multiple RJ45 ports. There is little or no intelligence. You can get managed hubs but there is not much point. So any degradation in the signal is passed however the signal is reamplified along with any imperfections. The result is packet loss and resend, not a bad picture but more packets. .

A Switch takes the signal and digitally reproduces it. So the signal is entirely rejuvenated. But a switch also has intelligence and once it knows the RJ45 port that the packet belongs to it will only send it to that port. Bit of a red herring cause many IP video systems use broadcast addresses which tell the switch to send it to all RJ45 ports anyway. Hubs rely on the devices network card to detect packet collision and resend, where as Switchs can store and forward packets. Different switches have a different backplain speed so switches ain't switches. Yes brand and model matters.

Switches can have even more intelligence again depending on the brand and model. Packet filtering, VLAN and Qos are some of these functions. The use of these functions are growing exponentially. Where once we segregated networks based on physical boundaries, we are now segregating networks based on services.

Routers. By definition change the media and protocol that packets travel on. For instance: from IP on copper to ISDN on Fibre etc. However we mainly view these as devices that route packets from one network to another or join us to the wider internet. Routers by basic design block broadcast packet (Many IP Video systems use broadcast packet)

So switches are fooled by broadcast and routers block them. So how do you manage broadcast traffic to do what you want. Use port filtering on the switches to physically restrict the flow of video traffic to geographic locations and you use tunnelling to pass the broadcast traffic through the router to another network. Again you can use port addressing at the router to filter out any unwanted video traffic.

Not all routers support tunnelling and not all switches support port filtering so yes it does matter which brand you use.

So the firm you are to get a phone call from in 12 months time is currently upgrading their entire network to state of the art edge and core switches. They put in VOIP phones and all is running well. They are ripe for the plucking for a nice IP video security system when they ring you and they have a nice fat budget. However the firm that installed the IP phones didn't really understand how to setup QoS. When you install your cameras all the phones will come down at 8am every morning. Are you going to be adequately educated and prepared for the situation, what if your competitor is. So how you set it up is more important to speed than the equipment that you use. If you intend entering or staying in the IP side of the industry I would suggest you learn about this area in-depth and the ocean is very deep. Just because something works doesn't mean you have it right. Even if you have a few IP installation working don't stop reading up on IP,QoS, Routing and Filtering.

Note I differentiate between RJ45 ports the physical port you plug your wire into (layer 1) and a port address which is part or a packet and a virtual port (layer 2)

VLAN it easy fix

We normally run 2 VLANs one for data and one for voice, you could add a third for cams but if you had many might need a dedicated network switch

Big enterprise systems run separate security networks I see anyway.

z

VLAN it easy fix

We normally run 2 VLANs one for data and one for voice, you could add a third for cams but if you had many might need a dedicated network switch

Big enterprise systems run separate security networks I see anyway.

z

Yeh our IT department setup VOIP by using a VLAN. Problem is when someone plugs in a laptop to a phone port it can take down the phone system. Not a very robust option, I am currently redesigning the network to utilise QOS properly as soon I will be using the corporate LAN as the backbone for two way radios as well as phones.

Disadvantage of running a separate security network is you can't push the video traffic to any desktop you like. The main advantage with an IP system comes when you use application layer security not physical layer security. We are about to build 2 new remote offices and a separate network would mean separate links and more RF issues.

Depends on the budget too, the DVR/NVR works as a bridge to the existing data network. Well in mine anyway, that way you can still view assuming you have the authorization from the DVR/NVR. They however cannot directly view a single camera/streamer or it's interface.

you can add a router to join both networks together, then you can control the bandwidth to the desktops if you like and access list etc

also a gateway to ADSL\the net

z