Aardie

Computer Room Temperature

Ok one of the cctv systems I am installing a PC Based Netvision System the room is running at 28.5 C and it isnt even the height of summer yet over here in blighty am I right to refuse to warranty the System at that temperature. The humidity is at 38% so thats not a problem but I was thinking you can add 15 C to that figure for what the Proscessor will be running at ??

Just scares the hell out of me with the card being a hardware based capture card to so thats going to be toasty allong with everything else. I have added and extra intake Fan but with 3 hard drives 2 x 500gig sammys and one 80 gig sammy its going to be high temps all around. Pro is a 3 gig P4 single core.

Grateful for your input.

Best Regards

Keith

thats going to be hot, even for here.

Is there any air circulation at all, cause that will at least help, any windows left open or is this all closed up?

My appt can reach that easily, but then im not warrantying anything in here!

Anyway if you do put one in there, use Intel onboard video (PCIe/AGP Video cards would generate extra heat and i have tested Intel onboard vid with at least a GV1120 and it is still working fine), no more than a 350 watt PSU (eg some Antech Cases come with them), 1x 120mm Exhaust Fan at least, 1x80mm intake fan at least, 1x Side Panel CPU Fan (stock CPU fan with this works well, i get them in the 30's with no AC down here). Use 3 speed fans so you can adjust that according to the heat in the room manually, unless it changes alot then look for a temp based fan. I like the 3 speeds myself. I would use at least an Asus board also, not a cheap one either, the MSIs seemed to freak out in alot of heat, i prefer the Asus CPU fan control approach.

As to the hard drives cant really help you there.

maybe put the 2x500GB HDDs in 5.25" HDD Coolers and use 2 of the 5.25" bays for those. Or just make your place as hot and watch the HDD's temps using something like Speed fan - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php. Perhaps add an extra fan near the hard disk bay.

I like the idea of using a small refrig..............whatya think? Plenty of room for beer too........

The room is enclosed No Door, like a ante room / close ended passage off an office.

Been talking to the customer I have advised him that if no extraction fan is in place within 2 weeks will only warranty the system for 3 months hes on his own then and hes started to take me seriously.

Its an Intel P965 (Asus P5B-E) with Nvidia 6200 some Corsair ddr2. The thing that worrys me is the Capture card its hardware based ergo the reduced warranty

I wouldnt mind theres hardly room for the system sat next door to a huge Dell poweredge.

Its System Day today anyways and he has not given me an alternative place for the system to reside so the balls in his court now.

Ah Well life would be boring without a few challenges along the way

Hmmmmmm Beer

Best Regards

Keith

Rory I have all the fans covered on the system 92mm exhaust and 80mm intake no room unfortunately for a side fan

Going back in on Saturday to install some hdd fans the type you sit underneath.

Regards

Keith