is there such a thing on the market as a single-channel dvr device, usb connected, that captures at a high resolution and frame rate with motion detection, adjustable frame rates, etc. ? i'm talking decent quality, not garbage grade... i have seen usb video grabbers at the computer shops, but none of them have motion detection capability as far as i can tell..

here's the situation: on occasion i need to set up a temporary camera/dvr setup to watch a piece of production equipment (cnc lathe/mill, waterjet cutter, punch press etc..) for faults during a run when a technician can't spend all night standing around waiting for a machine to fault out. i've been using an ancient novex "video catcher" which connects to the printer port of my laptop computer, but at best it can only capture 2 fps at 240x320(?) which misses a lot on fast-moving equipment. i tried using a typical usb-connected webcam, the frame rate is much better but the resolution is terrible..

Hmmm I might be able to develope this for you.

Any possiblity of error info from the machines? Digital IO just an LED from the control, if advanced enough TCP packets?

Basically just trip the DVR and it will back up the framebuffer say 30 or 60 seconds. This way rather then questionable motion detection you can just let it capture every error the control detects.

Man I wish I had one of these several years ago, I worked with a fugawa welding robot. It moved/weighted/printed and palletized boxes. In setup that thing would send some ~30lb boxes flying. Would be great on youtube.

How about portable hand held DVR

has motion and trigger recording

----------------------------------------------------

Built in 2" LCD panel

MPEG4 ( 5 sec or 10 sec clips )

IR Remote Control

Control / Date Time Setting (OSD Menu)

JPEG format 320x240

Maximum Recording Time: 2.5 ~ 3hrs. (K10%)

Built-in 800mA rechargeable Li-Ion battery

Data Storage by SD card and any size of capacity

Enables to display the information of SD capacity

Hmmm I might be able to develope this for you.

Any possiblity of error info from the machines? Digital IO just an LED from the control, if advanced enough TCP packets?

Basically just trip the DVR and it will back up the framebuffer say 30 or 60 seconds. This way rather then questionable motion detection you can just let it capture every error the control detects.

what i've been doing is having the dvr record in continuous overlap with motion detection on. when the machine stops, so does the recording. i thought about tapping into one of the light sockets on the machine's christmas tree for error output, but some machines are 24vdc, others are 120vac and the system has to be portable, not permanently installed. i have the camera (panasonic wv-cp230 color box camera, various lenses depending on the situation) mounted on a cheap targus tripod, the laptop hangs in it's bag below the camera and both the laptop and camera operate on 120vac via an extension cord.

another annoying problem is that the novex software doesn't generate standard video files.. something that would generate .avi or .mpg files would be outstanding and much easier to email video files to production engineers..

You got a good camera, I'm glad of that.

I know I can't help with a laptop, all of my devices are real deal hardware encoders that sit on the PCI bus. They capture 640x480 at 30fps into MPEG2, it's essentially the highest quality you will get from an analog setup. I use them in home theater systems, the cost for CCTV would be too high ~$100-150/channel max 2 per PCI slot. With what you are discribing I think it can be done 100% solid state, you could drop kick it. Pretty nutty stuff is possible now at reasonable prices.

What would you call a product that would compete with this, troubleshooting machinery? Dig some of that info up.

If I think I can build and sell them I would consider building a demo unit at a reduced rate.