johnnyjb

access control setup

Could anyone give me info or a link that ll explain the ins and outs pros cons of access control

This might be askin too much but im eager to learn more about it as im applyin for a job in cctv again and want to get a grip on this line of work

Thanks Johnnyjb

I did my first install not to long ago myself. I was in the same boat as you. Luckly my bid was not a high end install or very sophisticated. They wanted two doors covered with some cameras.

P A N I C T I M E!

I ordered the parts from ECLIPSE and set everything up on my bench and played around with it and it went like clock work during the install.

I cannot speak for a high end install but for a simple one it is not hard at all.

I used the ACC-950. It is an oudoor reader. I chose this in case they moved the indoor units and placed it outside to cover the front door. This gave me this flexibility for future up grades.

The hardest part I had was programing 25 cards to the reader. With tech support I was able to figure it out, and then I programmed the second unit with the 25 cards and I was good to go.

I used the maglocks on purpose. This way I was not digging in to the frame and also attaching a strike. I am not a locksmith and I do not have much experience in hanging doors or to try to correct doors that do not pull themselves closed.

I have a power supply that ran my cameras and my maglocks and my readers. ( I know, I know from an electronics point it may be better to have some isolation, but this is a non threat situation. If I put a rectifier and a cap at the reader would this make you happy? What if the rectifier blows, the cap blows, the wall catches fire, the building burns down to the ground, I pay out my deductable and they build a new building and all of the employees are out of work for a year)!!! Any ways I have a battery back up 12 volt power supply. I have a wire going out to two cameras, and two wires going out to two maglocks, and I have two wires going out to to readers. The readers are installed right at the door. Door one was easy. It was a hollow wall with no insulation. The wire going to the maglock from the reader was an easy pull. The second door was on a concrete (note interior) wall. The wiring was ran on the wall on the inside of the room. The secure side. I removed the trim and hid the wire here. I did not need to but I ran a wire from the farthest reader to the closet reader and they I left a 100 foot "roll" of wire up in the false ceiling in case they want to hook it up to a computer with some software.

After the fact I wish I had used 1200 maglocks instead of the 300lb maglocks. The one door had issues and did not pull it self close (note latch itself). I squirted wd 40, I took a hammer a hit the top of the door where it friction rubbed with the door jam. The hammer pushed in the wood a little bit allowing for some clearance. The in house maitenance was going to resolve this issue, and it was not my responsibility.

I can now do install cheaper than my competitors. Most do not want to do 1, 2, or 3 door installs anyways. I will do them!!!!!!!!!

Use failsafe stuff until you know what you are doing!

(Door will unlock during power loss, keep people from dieing tring to escape fire!!!)

Eclipse 950

Users guide

www dot cctvsupportsite dot com/user/ACC-950%20Done%20w-quickguide dot pdf

If you were doing a large system, than I would use this. I have not used it and I cannot give you any iformation on it.

www dot cctvsupportsite dot com/user/ECL-ACC1000 dot pdf

Here is another wire diagram:

http://cctvsupportsite dot com/user/ACC-950%20AUX%20READER%20DIAGRAM dot bmp

I hope this helps you out.

Fail safe!

I had a heart attack when I was at my personal storage unit to place plastic over my personal items and I found out that the gates were unlocked and wide open, and the doors were wide open to the building.

A hurricane was coming and I wanted to protect my stuff in case the roof got peeled back slightly allowing rain to come in.

I was angry that my stuff was available for any one with a bolt cutter to come in. I have sinced move all of my personal stuff elsewhere!

Fail Secure. When the power goes out this locks you out! This would be good for a liquer storage room at a bar. You can alway run a wire to a secret spot and hook up a gel battery to activate and open the door.

Fail Secure. When the power goes out this locks you out! This would be good for a liquer storage room at a bar. You can alway run a wire to a secret spot and hook up a gel battery to activate and open the door.

It also locks people in, I would really evaluate your local laws and inform your insurance company. I would also bump up to the fire alarm installer styled 5-10 million policies. Fail secure is not something to toy with...

When I did a access controlled door at home, I did it fail-secure lock wise, so if the power fails the room is locked and no one outside can get in (without breaking the door window, its not exactly high security as its on a internal door...) or using a key to manually open the door. (door can be opened physically by key or via a RFID keyfob.)

BUT any one inside the room in the event of power failure can open the locked door just by turning the latch, exactly as they would as if the door did not have a electromagnetic strike.

Sort of a mix of fail-safe and fail-secure.

If you are doing Access Control In the United States you better know your codes.

1. NFPA 72 Fire Alarms

2. NFPA 101 Life Saftey

3. NEC National Electrical Code

4. Talk to your local fire inspector.

I bought the Eclipse ACC1000 to wire-up three doors to the ACC900 for my Dad's paint store.

Can anyone point me to a good wiring diagram? I promised I've done extensive Googling before asking here!

From what I understand, I only have to pull a 6-conductor cable to each door from the controller. Beyond that, it gets a bit hazy. I bought the stuff (new) off eBay and the seller can't help me.

go to Keyscan website an look for an online demo. Many other mfgs have online demo stuff. This will give you an overall picture.

on the fail secure /fail safe discussion you must know your local codes and better yet the local inspector. We have been fooling around with a door in a hosiptal for over a year trying to get the final say on what is acceptable to the user.fire marshall, electrical inspector and the archetech.

Anyone have any experience with any on this list besides Keyscan?

http://www.exacq.com/support/access-control.html

I know how to install it I did it for my previous employers but I never spec'd the jobs so I don't know to much about the codes.

We use to install KERI systems and they were easy to install and very reliable but I would want the system to be integrated with the Exacq.

http://www.kerisys.com/

What about HID Edge devices.... any one using that stuff?

http://www.hidglobal.com/technology.php?tech_cat=11&subcat_id=21

It's not on the list, but IEI Emerge panels will talk with Exacq, and they work pretty well, browser based, no software necessary. (there is a middleware application to make them talk, though). IEI uses S2's software engine.

Could anyone give me info or a link that ll explain the ins and outs pros cons of access control

This might be askin too much but im eager to learn more about it as im applyin for a job in cctv again and want to get a grip on this line of work

Thanks Johnnyjb

Hi Johnny. Millennium Group has a great website on access control. Really in depth stuff...hope it helps http://www.millennium-groupinc.com