My client has a stand alone automatic car wash, that is on the same lot as a C-store but its his wash and not his C-store. He has noticed that someone is tampering with his equipment that is in the wash bay. He thinks its his competition but can't prove it. His competition has the gas pump maintenance but he thinks they are sabotaging his wash so they can get the wash also. There is no broadband onsite. He doesn't want the C-store manager to know in case he is in on it. He was wanting a wireless cell card. I ask where saw that. He said it was on the monorail in Vegas. I think a stainless steel lock box that is waterproof with a DVR inside with a 500 gig hd would be more practical. Any suggestions?

skip the wireless and install some camera's & a DVR..................lock it up in the maintenance room.......

Yep, I think the DVR is the way to go but there is not an equipment room. All equipment is in the bay it's self. That's how they are able to have easy access. There is an equipment panel. Putting a covert camera inside the panel would get facial recognition. Knowone should be in the panel but his people. I'm thinking a lockbox mounted on the roof, which is flat.

I was just wondering. The panel that belongs to the customer, how big is it? Is this panel of his water proof?

The reason I ask, is it possible to drill a hole in the panel, place a small sheet of clear plastic over the hole with some silicon and then place a pin hole cam behind it?

Is it possible to get the "air freshner" style camera with a SD card placed inside this panel?

What about one of those hunting style cameras that use a digital camera with IR that you would normally strap to a tree and the motion detection would capture the deer, or panel vandal? These are some what water proof.

They have the cheap 35mm ones with flash that are fairly cheap. I would rather use the IR so it would be "invisible".

Does he want to catch them or deter them?

Without seeing the layout, this is my best guess as to how I would consider setting it up as a deterant.

1. Put a small dvr or the new geovision video server (2-port) in a weatherproof lockbox (inside wall mount or on the roof).

2. Install 2 vandal resistant dome cameras (wdr or ir depending on lighting) in two corners facing the "problem area". I'd also consider running the video and power cable in conduit.

3. Use a portable usb hard drive for the recording so your client can swap out the HD as needed to review video. Or use a usb wireless ethernet adaptor so your client can access the system with a wireless laptop and review video that way.

I like your ideas Kao. Of course i will put everything in conduit. And yes he wants it all covert. The pump, chemicals and piping are all in the wash bay. The doors to the bay are closed at night but open during the day. So anyone can just walk in the bay. But the culprits are opening the pump cabinet and jacking with the settings on the chemicals so the cars are not coming clean. Whoever is doing this, knows carwash equipment. My client thinks its his competition. I like the idea of the wireless ethernet adapter but I'll use a wireless router. It would be slick for him to drive up to the site and just access it. If he likes the setup, I think he wants to install at several locations.

Edited by Guest

Whats stopping him from securely locking the cabinet so they cant get inside easily? Or is it locked, and they are forcing entry everytime?

Would be easy to put that DVR in a Hoffman Electrical Panel. Hoffman even makes Stainless Steel panels that are "washdown" grade, meaning the seals are tight enough to be sprayed with direct hose water. I use all forms of them where I work. Stainless, mild steel, or fiberglass in a NEMA 4X grade would be the way to go. Use a Myers Hub with O-ring threaded flange . I also put small bronze/stainless "vents" on the bottom of the panels, as I will normally install a small cooling fan on the power supply board. Most of the steel Hoffman panels have a way to lock the panel door. Go to Hoffman website and see the different models. Top of the line panels.

In fact, I am in the middle of another DVR project. I have taken an older DVR that I have lying around, and am mounting the boards, power supply, hard drives, etc. in a Hoffman panel, along with a couple of cooling fans. A lot of work on the Hoffman panel to incorporate all the BNC connectors, USB cable inputs, etc. but being in a small steel Hoffman panel, and being able to mount this thing anywhere will allow me to avoid having a DVR lock box, as it definitely won't look like a DVR when I get done. The only thing is right now, I am in the need of a 20-pin ribbon (ATX?) cable , about 2 or 3 feet long. The remote control IR needs to be out where I can get to it and watch playback via remote control. Anyone know where I can get this long of a ribbon cable and connectors?

In fact, I am in the middle of another DVR project. I have taken an older DVR that I have lying around, and am mounting the boards, power supply, hard drives, etc. in a Hoffman panel, along with a couple of cooling fans. A lot of work on the Hoffman panel to incorporate all the BNC connectors, USB cable inputs, etc. but being in a small steel Hoffman panel, and being able to mount this thing anywhere will allow me to avoid having a DVR lock box, as it definitely won't look like a DVR when I get done. The only thing is right now, I am in the need of a 20-pin ribbon (ATX?) cable , about 2 or 3 feet long. The remote control IR needs to be out where I can get to it and watch playback via remote control. Anyone know where I can get this long of a ribbon cable and connectors?

Hey cachecreekcctv, how are you doing?

I have a subdivision trying to do a project on the cheap. They have a brick wall that sits in an island between the exit and the entrance to the subdivision. They have a sliding gate for each direction.

What they are wanting is to mount cameras on the wall and run them to a dvr mounted on the backside or "inside the subdivision" of the brick wall.

I have tried to talk them out of this configuration:

1 Bad camera positions

2 I would rather have the stand alone DVR located in environmentally controlled area. This is on the east coast of Florida. We are 10 miles from the coast but there is still "salt" in the air.

I am interested in the Hoffman panel to locate the DVR outdoors.

I know you will say the panel is waterproof, but I am curious about venting/cooling issues. Can you PM me the kind of enclosure you have used or would recomend in this environment with a price "range"?

The bid process is an entry leverl price range. OK to you and me it is laughable. I want to at least put in a bid. If anything I want them to learn in advance and take these ideas to another installer. I forsee a lot of troubles down the road and I will be pushing my quote above the $5000.00 the board has approved for 4 cameras, DVR, and system items.

I will let someone else deal with some other issues I have not described here. I wish that installer good luck. The reason the cameras are mounted on the wall is to save on trenching, wire, conduit, and labor. The DVR is mounted to the wall with internet connection because they do not want to spend the money to do it the right way and send the video wirelessly back to the pool clubhouse

I am interested in everyone's point of view or advise as well.

Thanks for your input!

For one of items, you will probably find it on ebay, I get pretty much all my electrical components from ebay these days, works out quite cheap, and you can get brand new stuff...

Only thing I cant find so far on ebay seems to be the rails that you mount din rail mounted items on.

My garage is full of DIN rail!! Hard to believe you can't find it anywhere. My "real paying" job is in a Manufacturing Environment , since 1978 when I got out of the Army. I myself build panels all the time. I always am in the middle of building either a panel for work, or a panel for home. At work, the company can afford to buy me Stainless Hoffman panels, and there are HUNDREDS where I work,... yes hundreds. For home, I can buy the NEMA Hoffman panels on Ebay ( no, I can't afford Stainless) , and in fact, just bought about 10 panels this week there. Got to be a good Ebay shopper, though. Here are some Ebay items to look at: #230123753065 . #250112898578 . I got those 2nd Hoffman boxes for $15/each , delivered to me. I got the 1st one, with a 20 AMP 12vdc power supply built in, for $90, delivered to me. The power supply alone is worth that. Anything that is NEMA 3R or Nema 6 (submersible) can take constant water hose spraying like a carwash. All have gasket doors. DVR's are just PC boards, nothing special. I have built over a dozen "special panels" for some of my customers, which have both a 9amp 12vdc regulated PS and a Siemens 140va 24vac transformer in them. All fused outputs, on DIN rail of course. Use that DIN rail, and things will be easy to mount! Allen Bradley makes sweet little DIN rail mount fuse holders with an LED to indicate a blown fuse. Just use Myers Hubs when you enter a panel. I would have to send you a picture of my Stainless/brass vents for you to see. Ask VST_man about them, as I have sent him a few. Always vent a panel if you want to get rid of the heat. PM me your email address if you would like pictures of anything.

Got my 20-pin ribbon cable from a friend, so just now have to incorporate the panel to allow my remote control to "see" the IR receiver, so I can playback. Could build this design in a few hours using Hoffman Fiberglass panels.