kao

Whats wrong with this video?

Can someone take a look at some of these video clips and see if they have seen this problem before?

We have tried 4 different cameras, 3 different lenses, new RG59 cable, new 18ga power cable, and two different power supplies (24v and 12v).

The video always comes out over exposed – too much green. Sometimes the video fails completely - video signal goes to black with wavy lines. I think it may be too much sunlight, but one of the videos shows the sun behind the camera…could it still be too bright?

Adjustments on the dvr help a little, but are way out of sync from other cameras on the system.

The cable run is the shortest run on this system - about 50ft.

http://www.lbdata.net/uploads/File20070429085401.zip

http://www.lbdata.net/uploads/File20070417181048.zip

http://www.lbdata.net/uploads/File20070324160101.zip

http://www.lbdata.net/uploads/File20070324160914.zip

Thanks

Weird..

Have you tried the camera on another channel of the dvr to see if its just that one channel causing a problem?

Does that channel work fine, with the same camera if the camera is plugged in local to the dvr?

Are the cams definately getting enough power (volts and amps), is the power supply shared over multiple cams, or not rated enough amps in total for that cam/and any others connected?

Any damage to the cable? Water/rodents/vandals etc?

Is the cam or cables next to any unusual or powerful equipment/power lines whatever that could interfere?

Double check power, cam could be restarting if not enough power...

One of the first thing I did was switch the camera port out with other cameras. No matter which port I plugged that camera in to, it looked over exposed and would blank out after a random amount of time...ranging from hours to days.

Camera has clean power - checked it with a meter at the camera. There are only 4 cameras on this system and one is powered locally...the power supplies are the individually fused type and are made to run up to 9 cameras.

I thought for sure it was going to be a cable problem. So I ran a separate cable across the floor and out the door to the camera. The cable is siamese. Also used a different power source. Same problem.

The strange thing is, if I pointed the camera down at the ground, it seemed to be fine...as I tilted it up toward the corner of the road and some sky came into view, it got very over exposed again.

At this point Im starting to think its a combination of things...further testing will be required.

When your camera blacks out there is hum in the video.

Have you tried using a seperate isolated 12 volt regulated power supply? (not a switching supply, the type with a transformer)

Have you tried a different type of camera?

One of your video clips has the camera pointed at the sun, the camera doesnt like it and the image chip will be compromised. Resulting in degradation and possible damage to both the lens and camera.

Another possibility. Are there any high power transmitters nearby?

Have you tried using a ground loop isolator?

A few years back I had a bad batch of cameras that did a similar thing but there were no hum bars.

Good Luck!

Kao!

You have me stumped! You have done everything to trouble shoot this problem that I would have you do. I thought for sure the wire across the ground would isolate this problem! The fact that you have changed cameras, lens, and wiring! You checked the voltage, and I wondered if you changed the power wire to a different "channel" on the power supply?

This will sound really dumb, but I would suggest getting an extension cord, and plugging in to a different wall plug, and plugging the DVR in to this. I wondered if it was possible to have a bad plug, or a ground issue? I probably will get flamed for that idea but you have some serious GREMLINS!

Take a compass and set it near the camera location and video tape it. I want to see the video with the needle just spinning around!

I have seen this a couple times and it is hard to pinpoint. Here are a couple questions that you can think about.

1. Does it happen at the same time of day or different times?

2. Is there any communication towers or Ham radio operators in your area? It can sometimes pick it up if they have strong transmitters.

3. Do the cameras have audio? If so listen to them and tell me if you hear anything out of the ordinary.

If you have a wire locating toner like this http://www.action-electronics.com/tracker.htm

you can turn off the power to the camera and place the toner reciever next to the video signal wire and listen. I have heard ham radios as well as radio stations coming over the video feed causing distortion. If so you will need a filter like a pelco gt100.

Just a thought. Let me know if you find anything.

Was the voltage checked at the camera end with the camera connected or disconnected from the power? If it was disconnected you would get a inaccurate reading, as the voltage drop depends on load, so increases depending on how much current is used by the camera.

I'm shooting from the hip but I would guess that its a connection issue in the camera. When it heats up or you move the camera a certain way, it loses connection. It could be a stretched wire that only has a few fibers of wire making connection. I'm assuming that the coax and power source checked out OK. Just before it blacks out you can see the center of the picture distort ever so slightly. Or in the sky, the picture will start to roll. Voltage, the lack of the correct voltage.

This is power issue.

That location might be doomed to have this problem.

Get 1.5Amp transformer, and connect just one camera next to DVR. Short cable to test it.

If it's still the same with this test, the camera's internal power is not up to task, and might have come from defective line of production.

it happens.

I recently had a VERY bizzare problem where the camera would work great until it was attached to the building at which point the video would be totally messed up. We pin pointed it to some time of ground or electrical issue in the building (It was a tin exterior). We put up a piece of wood and then mounted the camera to the wood and the problem went away. Just a thought.

I cant play your file its an .EXE? avi,mpg ok but exe ? no way....

anyway...>

IF the volts and amps current drawn are ok then check the composite video level [CRO] you can only check if the power is clean with this not a meter.?

you could try a video amp to see if theres a problem also

Some cheaper cams do this if the sun is too bright, you could put a filter in front of the lens to check. [iR cut one]

Try a wireless conection -then you can discount the coax

YES it could be a strong transmitter -a cheap bug finder will tell or a spec ann if you can borrow one -clip around ferrites if its that.

Isolate the ground -maybe

cant think of any more need coffee....

I recently had a VERY bizzare problem where the camera would work great until it was attached to the building at which point the video would be totally messed up. We pin pointed it to some time of ground or electrical issue in the building (It was a tin exterior). We put up a piece of wood and then mounted the camera to the wood and the problem went away. Just a thought.

This is a wood sided building, but we are checking to see if the mounting screws could be hitting something inside.

KT&C Tech support said the video looks like it is definately getting voltage back into the camera.

The EXE file is a self extracting little program that will install the proper codec and play the file.

have you tried individual power supplies, as the cameras may require an isolated power supply.

I read through this and kept thinking about the comment that if you point it at the ground (no blue sky) the problem goes away. But you say you tried several different cameras on the same location.

I see wave distortion over the blue sky, which reads as interference to me.

If it were me, I'd try mounting it in a different place that gets the same view if possible, and not point at sky at all. You note that it's probably a combination of things, and I'm inclined to agree.

Someone else said it, too: Gremlins. But they can be defeated by changing EVERYTHING. Sometimes.

have a dvr picture keep mjumping for main montioer but when put on second moniter work well but can controller the carmears.

You say that the monitor works fine with the spot out, and you cannot control the cameras. Yes this would be correct.

You say the picture is messed up when you connect to the regular monitor out?

If you see everything good in spot out then the DVR is working fine.

Do you have a BNC to RCA adapter on the output? If so replace it.