videobruce

IP PTZ camera using only cat 5

Questions about using IP PTZ cameras;

1. If I understand this correctly, since ethernet only uses two out of the four pairs within a cat 5 cable, can the other two pairs be 'ganged' together to supply power so as to eliminate the need another separate power cable if the distance is less than say 100'? This is other than PoE which I am only aware of not sure of the peticulars.

2. The control signals form the PTZ functions are within the same pairs as the video signal off the camera?

3. Using a existing router with three stand-along computers (only one or maybe two on at a time) is there any bandwidth issues when not accessing the internet?

4. Going the IP route as opposed to using composite analog cameras, eliminates the need for a capture card?

The reason for all of the above is I'm looking for a 'better' image than what analog provides along with a PTZ control and the idea of software subsistuting for a PTZ controller. Coupled with the advantage of using a PC instead of a separate DVR.

my understanding is that an ip camera uses more power than a typical video camera because of it's integrated cpu/web server, so i would say probably not enough power even on doubled or tripled-up 24awg pairs.

Anyone else on this?

Other than power, those 2 pairs include the video and control protocol for the PTZ, correct?

1. yes

2. yes.....IP camera's use the same "data" pairs for video & control.

3. 1 IP camera won't slow anything down on your network, especially if it is MPEG4. Newer codec is becoming more efficient.

4. yes. caputure cards are associated with analog camera's. IP camera's use software to capture video.

to clarify power usage; you cannot say that IP is better than or worse than based on many things. ie. PTZ motors, climate & heaters/fans, IR lumination, ect. Each camera has it's specs and must be engineered (power usage, network usage, disk storage, ect.) properly down the cable.

Thanks for that input.

Regarding powewr comsumption, I didn't think of having a heater or fan. Withunits that DON'T have those options, I can't see how a small circuit board and a small motor would raise power comsumption to a level that a ganged pair of 26 guage wires couldn't handle with a acceptable voltage drop?

as long as you engineer it either via testing or charts.......don't install it and then expect it to work unless you spec it and check it.

depending on the power requirement for your ptz, prob at least 12vdc, i would say not a good idea. you will be using the blue and brown pairs along side of the signal and video pairs of the camera, we all know that power parallelled with data can cause strange things. now if your ptz accepts PoE, then you are in good shape, but it prob doesn't. (difference of the switch supplying voltage and creating a custom consolidation point to interject the plug in transformer)

if you are not using heat/fan, then you can power the ptz local to the placement of it, saving some cabling.

IP cameras, i.e. Axis 232D will require quite a bit of current to operate correctly and I would not recommend using any spare CAT5 pairs for this function. Now, all control functions are via software commands via your viewing/recording software. You can control the functions via either the mouse or a joystick. You will need the correct software for the camera. Axis supplies software for its camera that has all of the controls built in. Other NVR solutions must integrate the Axis software into their program. This goes for all IP cameras. You will need to check with your NVR software supplier to make sure they support the camera you are interested in. I have experience with the Axis PTZ camera and it is excellent. Experienced operators will notice a difference in operation between the analog PTZ and an IP PTZ camera because of inherent delays for the IP camera called latency. The amount of latency is dependent upon many factors. They will get used to it.