kmurrey

Avermedia

We are trying to approach local car dealers with small lots and I was at the Avermedia site and their products look really good.

Can any of you that have installed these let me know what you think of them.

Nobody has used these DVRS?

I am wondering how their embedded Windows servers are working - how their UI is....

Anyone have any thoughts.

i have a few customers that are using the standalone avermedia 4 camera system, EB1304NET w/ a 320GB HDD, and they have not had any problems with them so far

I have it hacked, thats how I did IVB's CQC interface. Thats another perk for buying from me. You may spend a little more but who else does remote configs.

Collin:

I do....

Is the GUI easy to use for remote access?

Is the GUI easy to use on the local box?

It appears that it has a video out (composite) can this get sent out to a modulator?

Is the software quick (responsive) when switching views, etc.

How is their support? I've talked to Jack and Andy - sound like really nice people.

Demo Unit- do you use demo units?

Collin:

I do....

Is the GUI easy to use for remote access?

Is the GUI easy to use on the local box?

It appears that it has a video out (composite) can this get sent out to a modulator?

Is the software quick (responsive) when switching views, etc.

How is their support? I've talked to Jack and Andy - sound like really nice people.

Demo Unit- do you use demo units?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Haven't needed support aside from becoming a channel partner.

Are you a dealer or DIYer?

I am a dealer... just became one with them.

We have been buying most of our stuff through ADI, but are going to switch to Northern Video. Northern seems to beat their quotes each and everytime.

I got pricing on the demo....

I have used 3 different models of the Avermedia DVR's, and love all of them. Haven't found any problems with the DVR's at all. Have not setup any remote viewing, though. Waiting for Kerry to get back from vacation to help me. No customer complaints or dislikes. I email or talk to Andy here in California quite often. For the price/features they are a great DVR.

I did test 2 DVRs (EB1304NET), and there are 2 things that I did not like about:

1. Remote view did not give you clear picture as you see locally. Pictures displayed at low resolution, even though I set a view resolution at best.

2. They don’t have separate setting for live remote view and recording resolution. If I set recording rate at 10fps, when I remote view live on LAN, I only get maximum display at 10fps. If I bring up recording rate at 30fps, I can get remote view at 29fps.

We have tested all of the AVerMedia products and are impressed with the quality,simple to understand GUI and customer support. We just got the New EB1704Net hybrid DVR in stock that allows IP cameras . Its another fine system. We have always been a GeoVision distributor for years but find AVerMedia to be a nice, quality alternative to the Geo line. Now that we are a AverMedia distributor as well its easier for us to compare the two.

ispy vision: how have you found that 1704? Quick and easy to set up IP cams? have you tried an Axis megapixel with it? if so what frame rate u get?

Back to the orginal question on the Eb-nets embedded boxes. Iv sold and isntalled loads. brilliant reliable easy to use product. nice alternative to pc and card. thats if the client only wants simple functionality.

Recomendation:dont use D1 setting if remote viewing! slows down tremendously and does not give worthwhile quality.

How does the live viewing compare to geovisions new cards? Iv'e been pretty unimpressed with Geovisions VGA display output latley and have been looking for a system with better live viewing. Especially when you go to one picture , full screen.

i put together a system a month ago, 2 aver nv7000h cards stacked together for 16channels, 4 hitachi desktar 1tb hard drives and a 5th 320gig drive for the main operating system and software, asus p5k3 deluxe/wifi motherboard with the new intel p35 chipset and a intel quad core q6600 processor, 2gb of ddr3 ram.

so far, i'm very impressed with avermedia, and no complaints at all. Rock solid and stable, easy to use, nice features (viewing the cameras on my cellphone is quite handy at times when on the road). Going to start testing out some IP cameras for this soon.

never seen a geovision system so i can't compare to them, but i've had a no-name brand system out of taiwan (shinet was the company), and it was ok for what it was, but no support and was old and dated and started crashing often.

one thing to watch for with the nv7000h boards, they are MONSTERS, so make sure you plan your motherboard and case layout properly if you want to fit these into the case and not block other stuff. Especially when adding 2 of these.

We have tested all of the AVerMedia products and are impressed with the quality,simple to understand GUI and customer support. We just got the New EB1704Net hybrid DVR in stock that allows IP cameras . Its another fine system. We have always been a GeoVision distributor for years but find AVerMedia to be a nice, quality alternative to the Geo line. Now that we are a AverMedia distributor as well its easier for us to compare the two.

Hey iSpyVision, in regards to locally recorded video quality, which is sharper, Geovision or Avermedia?

Im curious about this as well.

tks

I'm with you too. I always hear about geovision but Avermedia has been around for a while aswell so I mean someone must be using them?

They are pretty different, it depends on what you need to do. There are things each won't do and things both don't do or it's crazy expensive to do.

CollinR, any comments on local recorded video quality.

Im looking for which gives the sharpest individually recorded frames.

I would probably say the GV800 has the highest quality per frame.

(Never played with the 2004 or 2008, probably better still.)

However Avermedia is garbage in garbage out with IP cams which are also progressively scanning. So big budget, its Avermedia and multi megapixel without much doubt. No NTSC\VGA system compares. However there are loads of NVR software that does the same thing. The trend seems to be offload the encoding to the cameras. If Avermedia continues to support more and more feature packed cams... Their pricing structure already makes them very interesting. Compared to the big named NVR softwares anyway. It's also a true hybrid and Avermedia actually makes their cards and writes their own software. This is a very good combination from a quality standpoint.

So see the more you know about this crap the more uncertain you become. Very complicated when you add features into the equation. I know there are certain customer requests that would point me one way or the other, thats what it's really all about. What part where and why (or where not to put IR ). You have to know all 3. Its really all about the limitations, the specifiations are pretty meaningless unless you have basic needs customers.

The absolute highest quality would come from the theater PC side, that would be either the Nvidia DualTV (discontinued) or the PVR500 (buttloads more support) both are realtime with stereo and support 2 feeds. The PVR500 can actually be used in a 6 or 8 channel 60fps configuration but nobody makes software for that. They are also hardware MPEG2 encoders so you would need mega storage. Basically half a GV2004 and no software.

The best test of a DVR is probably terminator 3. Liquidude and the misc explosions make for some really dynamic scenes, the fluidity of the credits. As a mega bonus it's highly repeatable, no camera or adjustment or FOV factors. Only the MPEG2 decoder in the DVD player to account for.

I don't see anyone making streamers in resolutions higher then VGA anytime soon so comparing IP cams will be much more difficult and yet another specification/limitation game.

Hi CollinR,

I am also looking at the Avermedia NVR/dvr systems mainly the NV6480 ex. This is to record 16 analog cameras at the highest frame rate(30ips) and at the VGA resolution (640x480) ,Can it do 720x480 at that same frame rate? Avermedia suggests(requires) at least a Conroe6600 processor to record in "turbo mode", How stable is their software, within a properly configured winXP environment? Is that processor enough?

Another question is harddrive consumption, At the cards peak encoding capacity for analog cameras what sort of consumption can be expected ie. MBytes\camera\hour

Regards.........Mark

software is stable.

you'll need a C2D6600e with 1 card and a quad with 2. yes that requirement is enough......

storage........this will be the same no matter what you do. if you want quality you have to pay a price EVERYWHERE. storage is cheap so your concerns should stay with quality & CPU requirements.

Your other option is hardware compression cards....cpu is not abused.