libertysurveillance

self storage facility

would like feedback on the # of cameras per bldg... If I get the 1st floor entrances, stairwells and freight elevator, would I need any other internal cameras? why waste cameras on hallways

At a self storage facility we did, we did hallways also. That way you could see who was breaking into who's storage bay at a distance, and then back the video up and get a great shot of them from the building's entrance camera.

Do the halls. It does no good to know who came in, but can't prove what they did.

reason I asked is that in this 270x120' building, there are 6 entrances, a freight elevator and I need 4 perimeter cameras... that makes 11 cameras. If I do a hallway, there are 4 long hallways and 4 shorter hallways... now I'm up to 19 cameras... seems to me overkill for facility. Being that the gate entry system tracks who is coming in w/ timestamp, my thinking was we could id everyone going in and out. It has to take a long time to cut through a padlock, and no one would do it when others are around, I didn't think I needed to cover hallways, cause if I cover one hallway, I'd need to cover all hallways... also, don't most facilities put up cameras just to make their renters feel more comfortable? It really can't be easy to cut through a padlock...

Depends on the quality of the padlock.

I lost the keys to a cheap one, and cut through it in a few seconds with a little hacksaw.

Not tried a top-end one, but I assume bolt cutters would make a quick job of even those.

Depends on the quality of the padlock.

I lost the keys to a cheap one, and cut through it in a few seconds with a little hacksaw.

Not tried a top-end one, but I assume bolt cutters would make a quick job of even those.

pocket-sized, cordless dremel tools with abrasive cutoff wheels are

available at any home depot and will cut through the largest padlock in about a minute.. and weigh a lot less than a pair of bolt cutters.

19 cameras may seem like a lot. But you need to consider the applications.

It won't do you any good to get a list a names from the gate ID, time stamped video at the gate and entrances, if you can't prove who was breaking into what. Unless you have a guy physically walk the building after each person leaves, you only have a list of suspects... which doesn't do you any good unless you have someone constantly observing the situation.

If I come in to my storage bay say once a week (in reality I'd come in far less), and one week notice it's been broken into... and you've got 22 people who've visited that building in the last week, but only entrance shots... that doesn't do me any good towards a police case. And when I am walking I'm not looking at anyone else's locks, or know which ones are supposed to be locked/unlocked, so the odds of someone reporting a break-in short of obvious damage are unlikely.

I'd go for cameras in the halls. In the above situtation we'd look over the week who was in the hall, in the long shot, near my bay and look for them taking items out of it (that would be obvious even at a distance as they disappear. Unless their own bay is in the same area), then play back the entrance shot and gate shots (based on timestamps and physical discription) to get the name of the individual for the police report.

As a customer who'd been ripped off, I'd be more inclined to continue using the facility that proactively helps me get justice, as opposed to "minimal" "use at your own risk" mentality. Obviously the individual renting the space is taking a risk, and in most cases the lease says the company is not responsible for losses, but helping support a police report would be a good business decision IMO.

I agree with UMDranger. He's right. Also you may be able to save a few cameras by what I did. In the middle of the hall, place two cameras about 5 feet from each other looking at each other down the hall.