ravenss

Cameras close to beach

Hi, I'm looking into installing some cameras near the beach, around 1/4 of mile give or take a few. I'm leaning toward Extreme WizKids WZ-16, and WZ-18. Am I on the right track?

I have never worked with these cams, but have heard terrible things about them. I believe if you search under those part numbers in the forum, you should be able to find out what people are saying about those cams. HTH

I've been looking in the forum and found good reviews on the CVC-7706DNV. Aluminum doesn't get rust it gets oxidation.

aluminum won't corrode if you install it correctly, never mix dissimilar metals or create stray current paths... read up on "galvanic corrosion" for pointers.

I'm pretty unhappy with my WZ-16 camera. While the lens is varifocal, the IR beam is pretty narrow, so it reduces the usefulness of the wide angle lens. I have lot of IR glare, no matter what I do to shield it (moving the rubber gasket somewhat helps, but it's a nightmare to get the lens cover properly screwed-in, with no glare or dust reflecting like crazy when in night mode). Integrated IR (as I discovered on the forum, alas only after buying one) attracts insects, and triggers random motion events at night.

Also, that camera doesn't like BT878-based DVRs (rainbow artifacts in night mode), but works well with a Techwell-based card.

To be fair, the camera is great in day mode, and ExtremeCCTV has a great advance replacement policy and prompt support

All in all, though, would not consider another WZ-xx camera

Go with the EX82, but use Stainless steel screws. Ive had some on a beach now for 6 years.

The WZ Bullets are cheap OEMs they use so they dont compare to the EX82.