kmurrey

DVD / Record Store

I have a client that is looking to have a couple of covert cameras for her record store.

She is only wanting 2 cameras so I thought the AVerDiGi Hybrid NV7000 would be a good choice. But I have never used it. Only have been reading about it.

Looking for any suggestions.

I plan on using two covert cameras (smoke detector and a clock, or something like that).

She only wants to be able to record for a couple of days.

I was curious, why is she only wanting to record for a couple of days? Does she have a problem with a person on staff, and is she only trying to get video during this "shift"? I would ask her to record everyday to see if she has anyother surprises that she may not be aware of.

I assume this is going to be hooked up to the internet for remote viewing, and the DVR is going to be hid above a false ceiling or somewhere.

I love kmurrey's idea for the covert clock is dead on, this is great for facial recognition, and the covert smoke detectors are great for looking straight down in to the cash drawer!

She said she wanted the device to record for a couple of days in the event something would happen during the day and she could go back and look at it. But I am going to give her the option to go back for two weeks or so. With 2 camers and a 320 gig hard drive - she'll be able to keep a month or so - I think they are only open 12 hours a day.

Thanks for the comments about covert. I wanted to try them, but I may just do domes.

No wireless here.

I agree with Securitymonster about the wireless.

Most people buy the off the shelf wireless cameras and they do not realize that the transmitter may only be 100milli watts of power which is about the same as a childs walkie talkie. Nothing wrong with these as I do use them, but you have to use them in the right way. Just because the box says 300 feet line of site does not mean that you will get that distance. You will actually want the transmitter/camera and the receiver to be very close to get a real strong signal. AVOID USING THESE IN A CONVIENIENT STORE. ALL OF THOSE COMPRESSORS WILL DESTROY YOUR VIDEO.

By default most of those cameras may be on 2.4 Ghz, which is an FCC license free frequency, which means everybody uses this freq to include cordless telephones, 802.11 A/B/G/N/X, and video extenders for t.v.s.

You will actually want to use a different freq, and this has to be selected depending on the situation, and the design of the cctv system.

Professional systems may use a one Watt system or higher for wireless, and you will need an FCC license to operate (non external antenna). Some professional setups, may require a HAM radio license. Do not get caught without a license, as it can get really ugly.

If you have a lot of experience with wireless and you disagree with our posts that is fine because you have the experience to make the right decision.

Wireless= Buyer beware!

If you want to use the wired covert cameras, ask if the connector is real small where it connects to the camera before you buy it.

My distributor has the PIR/smoke that has a real small connector. I will take a guess at its size, but it is close to 16th of an inch deep, and 1/4 of an inch wide. I can poke a small hole in to the false ceiling tile and place the bnc/power cord to the camera through a very tiny hole, and then run it inside of the device and then plug it in to the board of the camera. When you go to dismount the device you have to go in reverse order. Open the device and remove the small "molex" style connector from the board, pull it out of the device, and then pull it through the ceiling tile.

You can do the same in a house. You make have to "poke" a small wire through the ceiling where you are going to mount the camera. You will have to get up in the attic, and move the insullation, and find your "flag" wire. Pull this wire out and make the hole just big enought to get your connector through in to the building below. Connect your cables, and put the insullation back. On the inside of the house pull enough cable out of the ceiling to reach the device and connect to the board. After you have done this put a little caulk in the hole. If the cable is black and you need it to be white, just keep some white out (office store supply) in your tool box. You can paint the cable white to make it blend in better. I age my devices the best as I can. Wipe some dust off of something and smear the stuff on top of the motion PIR. I put my devices without the camera installed in to the sun to give it the yellow glow of age so that it is not pure white.