scorpion

Elevator surveillance

I am doing my first elevator. I have not gone out to the site for a survey as of yet. It is a 10 story hotel. They want a camera in the elevator. I will be doing a wireless system. I will be avoiding the 2.4Ghz. The elevator shaft is most likely concrete block construction.

My intent is to put a camera in the "cab", with a transmitter on the cab, and a receiver at the top of the shaft. The receiver will be hard wired back to the DVR. This is assuming that I can run a wire down the shaft to get to the ground floor to run to the DVR.

What have you all done for elevators? What would be the ideal freq? I plan on using 1.2Ghz. I will not be using those entry level camera/transmitter that is rated at 300 line of sight. I am planning to use a seperate camera, transmitter, and receiver design. I will be using a 1 Watt transmitter. My intent is to have 150% of power for what I need so that I have some head room. I do not want to have too much of the signal going off property. I plan on putting a transmitter in the cab sending it up and down, while I chech the reception at various points in the hotel, and outside the hotel.

Why do they want a camera in the elevator? I do not know. I do not forsee getting facial shots in this environment. I could put a motion detector (covert) camera at the top, back of the cab. When the door is open and someone is getting on then I might get a facial shot. Other wise I would use a smoke detector camera.

I am willing to bet my paycheck this is their way of "saving money" by not putting a camera on every floor of the hotel. I will have to talk them out of this idea if this is their intent.

I would rather have a camera at ground floor level so that I can get the facial shot. What would be a good way to protect a child who may be fondled? My supplier is Eclipse, and Sec Cam Dir.

Thank you for your input, and advice,

Scorpion

You have your work cut out for you on this one. Will this be high maintaining?

Running anything in the elevator shaft is generally against code, so its unlikely you will be able to use the shaft as a path for the cable.

My advice would be to ask the elevator company if they have a spare twisted pair in the travelling cable, in many cases there will be a circuit available for CCTV use, if not then ask the customer to have the elevator company to add a twisted pair to the travelling cable.

The elevator company will then run the cable to a point outside the elevator equipment room where you can connect to it.

I wouldn't use wireless and I wouldn't attempt to run anything down the shaft

Doug.

I have to HIGHLY agree with Doug on this.

You really don't want to be monkeying around with this. This seems like a huge liability to yourself. Put the liability on the elevator company. I'd even supply them with the wire.

This is just not a general 'install' - so I would charge a hefty price for the cable install cause I am sure the elevator company is not going to do it cheaply.

Running anything in the elevator shaft is generally against code, so its unlikely you will be able to use the shaft as a path for the cable.

My advice would be to ask the elevator company if they have a spare twisted pair in the travelling cable, in many cases there will be a circuit available for CCTV use, if not then ask the customer to have the elevator company to add a twisted pair to the travelling cable.

The elevator company will then run the cable to a point outside the elevator equipment room where you can connect to it.

I wouldn't use wireless and I wouldn't attempt to run anything down the shaft

Doug.

On the money, this is how it should be handled.

AMAZING! The devil is in the details! A good site survey always saves my behind in the long run. There is nothing worse than a missed detail that grows in to a total disaster! Thank you all for your advice!

Question? If the elevator company is to run wire can it be siamese? I do not have a problem with CAT, just asking. I figure the wire has to be plenum rated, and this would dictate CAT over siamese.

Thanks,

Scorpion

AMAZING! The devil is in the details! A good site survey always saves my behind in the long run. There is nothing worse than a missed detail that grows in to a total disaster! Thank you all for your advice!

Question? If the elevator company is to run wire can it be siamese? I do not have a problem with CAT, just asking. I figure the wire has to be plenum rated, and this would dictate CAT over siamese.

Thanks,

Scorpion

whatever cable you choose, it will have to withstand a lot of flexing over the years... which will rule out solid conductors like cat5 or coax with a solid center conductor. it would be no fun at all locating a break in a very long cable deep within the elevator shaft...

the elevator cab already has at least 120vac power for the interior lights, i would power the camera locally which eliminates the need for siamese cable.

The only cables allowed for elevators are the "traveller cables". If there are no spares in the traveller, the only options are for the elevator manufacturer to add a second traveller or wireless. Unfortunately, adding a traveller can be expensive. It is not uncommon for the cost to be in excess of $10k.

You may need two sets of spares - one for the video and one for power. You would then use baluns to convert the twisted-pair video. Many, but not all, traveller cables include a coax for video and 18 guage twisted-pairs. Sometimes the pairs are shielded; sometimes not.

You may have an option to power the camera from an outlet located on the roof of the elevator or you may have to run power in a pair in the traveller. If you use roof power, keep in mind that it can be shut off by a switch in many elevators.

Wireless doesn't work very well because standing waves alternately add to and cancel out the signal as the elevator moves.

You'll have to get the elevator info from the building owners and probably contact the manufacturer's rep to find out what spares are available.

If the elevator has a emergency phone in the cab with at least two pairs of wire (Ive seen some with four pairs) One of the pairs will be dedicated to the cab telephone; the other perhaps available on request to use their spare for UTP/CCTV. You will need approval and inspection as codes are tight.