ceejay1135efe

DVR not accepting harddrive? DMR Error

Please can anyone help we have an AVR 777 hdd when I plug in the hard drive it detects hard drive then says HDD DMR error

the hard drives are as manufacturers reccommendations i have mailed manufacturers and got no where

Thanks

How about calling them on the phone or visiting their website - maybe they have Tech Support Forum that may have already answered your question.

Thanks for your help I ve tried manufacturers no luck just sending mail into cyberspace

I ve tried 2 other brands of drive same problem????

there is a reset jumper inside dvr -no difference any other suggestions

all appreciated

Not familiar with the DVR, so no idea if its a dvr specific problem (maybe the drives need to be factory installed with some firmware/software for the dvr? If that is the case, if you have the original drive, and its still readable maybe try copying the data of it onto a new one.)

Or the drives may need to be formated specifically for the dvr, fat 32, or something else - again you could check the original if its working.

Other than that, if you are supposed to be able to put in any drive, and it should just 'work' then a couple of things to check.

Master / slave jumpers, try the different positions for them, or better yet, compare what the original drive was set to.

The cable - it could be a faulty cable (out of interest,could the error say DMA instead of DMR? Not sure what DMR is, but heard of DMA errors a lot on drives....) - try a replacement cable, say a pc ide cable if possible.

If that is the case, if you have the original drive, and its still readable maybe try copying the data of it onto a new one.

Or the drives may need to be formated specifically for the dvr, fat 32, or something else - again you could check the original if its working.

Other than that, if you are supposed to be able to put in any drive, and it should just 'work' then a couple of things to check.

Master / slave jumpers, try the different positions for them, or better yet, compare what the original drive was set to.

The cable - it could be a faulty cable (out of interest,could the error say DMA instead of DMR? Not sure what DMR is, but heard of DMA errors a lot on drives....) - try a replacement cable, say a pc ide cable if possible.

Thats basically all the possibilities.

AS Collin R, and DVRMAN says.

You should just insert the harddrive (please with the power off), and it should just be plug, and play.

It does not need to be formatted by the DVR, and there is no OS on the hard drive that has to be "loaded". It does not need to be preformatted.

I use Western Digital Caviars, and I have had no problems (except for the very first time I tried to do a hot swap with the DVR powered on. Drive crashed, but the DVR worked fine).

I have some questions. It appears that you have a manual from what you mentioned. So that is the first question answered.

What do you see on the screen? I assume that the DVR is working fine. You can see the crosshatch of multiple cameras, and you can see your camera videos, and the time / date is correct? Can you go into the menu, and go to the various listings?

This tells me that the power supply is working, and the heart of the DVR is working.

It may be a power supply issue. It could be supply that gives you the low voltage that plugs in to the back, or it could be an internal power supply problem.

If you do not see the cross hatch, and your videos than it is def the power supply, (or could be the cpu).

Where did you buy the DVR?