atropine

24V power supply question

Hi CCTV guys,

I just bought some old b&W 24v only CCD cameras and I was wondering about what can power these.

I know with 12V DC cameras you need regulated power supplies, you can't just plug a camera into a 12V DC plugpack, but what about 24V AC cameras?

I've got a lot of 24V AC 500MA plug packs. They were power packs for Christmas tree lights. So there's enough wattage there to power a single camera but can I use plugpacks or do I need high quality 24v AC regulated supply just as I need a high quality 12v DC regulated supply to run 12V cameras?

You don't need regulated 24VAC power. In fact, most 24VAC camera power supplies actually put out 25-28 volts.

Im not to sure about possible earthing problems if the christmas tree power supply is a SELV (safety extra low voltage) power supply. Not played with them, but from what I understand, you are not meant to earth the output in any way, which camera systems often are.

May be worth looking into, it could be Im barking up the wrong tree, not sure on this one, but I would check to be safe. (ie, I would not connect one myself till I checked out officially what the earthing problems would be, IF ANY at all, it may well be fine.)

Im not to sure about possible earthing problems if the christmas tree power supply is a SELV (safety extra low voltage) power supply. Not played with them, but from what I understand, you are not meant to earth the output in any way, which camera systems often are.

May be worth looking into, it could be Im barking up the wrong tree, not sure on this one, but I would check to be safe. (ie, I would not connect one myself till I checked out officially what the earthing problems would be, IF ANY at all, it may well be fine.)

You're safe if the power supply is an actual transformer, which does isolate the ground. Not so if it is not.

I was just having a look at actual CCTV 24V power supplies that can run 8 cameras and they're cheap enough s o I won't bother with the plug packs I'll get 1 big power supply.

When you want to run more than just one camera, get a decent power supply. Available pretty cheap, actually. Make sure you are able to have overcurrent protection on each power leg (i.e. fuse, etc.). Spend the money to get a good UL Listed power supply.

if you use a multi-camera supply, make sure it has individually-fused outputs.. experienced thieves sometimes will intentionally short out cameras in the hopes of bringing all of the cameras on a single supply down.