cctvfan

Best recorded quality DVR card

Hi, I know it has been asked many times before which DVR card is the best (overall). However, may I ask which is the best if quality of recorded video is the ONLY concern?

I'm really tired of the recorded quality of my DVR card. Even the worst youtube clip beats mine.

So, if I need superb recordings at 640x480 (tired of 320x240), should I be looking at GeoVision? Or H.264 (which product though)?

thanks!!

Hi, for the best recording quality,please set the resolution at

704*576(PAL)、704*480(NTSC) ,please have a try!

Nice answer! The best I've seen so far are the Gv2008 cards but they take a lot of space up for recordings.

I have compared both AverMedia NV7000H and Geo 2008. I find the Avermedia to have a better image with a smaller file size with H264.

Hi, for the best recording quality,please set the resolution at

704*576(PAL)、704*480(NTSC) ,please have a try!

better yet, 720x480 ..

I haven't seen the Avermedia H.264 H/W compression card yet, but would like to. Also, they Avermedia H7000 can't do D1 in Realtime, while the gv2008 can (the Avermedia can do 120fps on 16 channles at D1, GV2008 can do 480).

Hi,NV4016HC and NV4016HCS H.264 hardware compression card can do 480fps on 16 channels at D1 in Realtime in preview.

In recording,NV4008HF can do 240fps on 8 channes at 4CIF in Reatime.

I haven't seen the Avermedia H.264 H/W compression card yet, but would like to. Also, they Avermedia H7000 can't do D1 in Realtime, while the gv2008 can (the Avermedia can do 120fps on 16 channles at D1, GV2008 can do 480).

Is it possible the speed quoted on Avermedia NV7000H (120fps) is for H264 compression, while the 480fps for GV2008 is only MPEG4 not H264?

Otherwise it doesn't make sense, given GV2008 is only using software compression for H264. HW compression only available for MPEG2 or MPEG4; see Compression Format in table here:

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/GV-2008.pdf

Yes, the Gv-2008 ony has mpeg2/4 H/w compression. The geo H.264 is software compression, which can be used with these boards but defeats the purpose.

I like the Aver resolution of 1920 X 1280 compared to Geo 720X 480. I was told by Aver that it can record that res at 8 fps per camera. I will be testing one in 2 weeks.

Thanks 501. Makes perfect sense. Also, you've already hinted about the large file sizes in your first post above (I guess that's a result of H264 not being used).

I can live with "quad real-time" recording at D1, i.e. 120fps instead of 480fps (but thanks 501 for bringing up this point though!!)

Looks like I'll go with NV7000H, everal much better value than GV2008:

1) cheaper (only ~$750; GV2008 retails at $1,200!)

2) comes with sensor/relay I/O (GV needs separate board GV-NET/IO!)

3) hybrid NTSC & IP cams support or better upgrade path

Anyone sees showstoppers with NV? Love to hear...

I like the Aver resolution of 1920 X 1280 compared to Geo 720X 480. I was told by Aver that it can record that res at 8 fps per camera. I will be testing one in 2 weeks.

Amazing! I'd be happy getting this speed still (7.5fps or 120fps over 16ch) at that resolution.

The details seen on cam#3 at their demo site (an IQInvision IQEye511?) are awesome. Let us know after you've played with the card.

Yes but cameras used for DVRs only go as high as 7xx pixels .. so it would not make any difference to them.

We looked at several MEGA Pixel cameras at the Vegas show that are for DVR's that would be used on this system at that res.

We looked at several MEGA Pixel cameras at the Vegas show that are for DVR's that would be used on this system at that res.

did they have BNC connections?

Rory, I suspect by "DVR", iSpyVision is also including those that handle both analog cams (vis BNC) and IP cams (CAT5 ready). I know strictly speaking this class of "DVRs" is normally referred to as "NVR" (by the way NV7000H absolutely qualifies to be in this class, as implied under '3' in my list).

I'm now more convinced NV is a good buy... (after adding '4' to the list -- hardware compression of H.264 compared to SW in GV2008).

Well all these "comparisons" are on paper -- got to see the real thing though......

Rory, I suspect by "DVR", iSpyVision is also including those that handle both analog cams (vis BNC) and IP cams (CAT5 ready). I know strictly speaking this class of "DVRs" is normally referred to as "NVR" (by the way NV7000H absolutely qualifies to be in this class, as implied under '3' in my list).

I'm now more convinced NV is a good buy... (after adding '4' to the list -- hardware compression of H.264 compared to SW in GV2008).

Well all these "comparisons" are on paper -- got to see the real thing though......

I believe this class of DVR call Hybrid

I haven't used both systems, but when compared on paper the Avermedia seems to win. the 1280X1024 resolution would be strictly for IP cameras, there are no "standard" analog CCTV cams that cam transmit close to that resolution. This means that aver is only accepting the data from the megapixel camera and that resolution is dependant on the camera. No matter, it seems IP cams are the wave of the future, I hope Geo catches up. I haven't even tried an IP cam yet because geo doesn't support it. If you purchase the avermedia card, please post the results. I checked out their NV5000 demo site and it was very slow. didn't find the remote IE client to be as good as geo's, at least from this site.

NV7000 demo clips anyone? Can someone show us the quality of this card.

I haven't used both systems, but when compared on paper the Avermedia seems to win. the 1280X1024 resolution would be strictly for IP cameras, there are no "standard" analog CCTV cams that cam transmit close to that resolution. This means that aver is only accepting the data from the megapixel camera and that resolution is dependant on the camera. No matter, it seems IP cams are the wave of the future, I hope Geo catches up. I haven't even tried an IP cam yet because geo doesn't support it. If you purchase the avermedia card, please post the results. I checked out their NV5000 demo site and it was very slow. didn't find the remote IE client to be as good as geo's, at least from this site.

NV7000 demo clips anyone? Can someone show us the quality of this card.

501 I strongly suggest to try mega pixel cam

after selling about 15 of them so far I have hard time to look or sell reg so called " hi res" cctv product

ak357, thanks for correcting me, yes when DVR meets NVR these should be called hybrid (no exception on NV's own spec).

Besides cost factor, what else do we sacrifice by going megapixel IP cams? Limited lens options (or do these work with CS mount lenses)??

ak357, thanks for correcting me, yes when DVR meets NVR these should be called hybrid (no exception on NV's own spec).

Besides cost factor, what else do we sacrifice by going megapixel IP cams? Limited lens options (or do these work with CS mount lenses)??

Don't think "sacrifice" you gain quality and this is for me is #1

priority

they work with 1/2 CS style

I use 4-10mm and 10-40mm

Thanks for the advice Ak357. Do you have any sample clips of a mega pixel camera we could check out? They sound awesome. How much does an average cam cost?

Version 8.11 of geovision supports IP cameras. How well I have no idea, as I dont have any IP cams to test it with..

But it does allow you to add IP cameras, you need to enter the server ip, and other details.

Yeah i figure he is talking about IP cams and Hybrid DVRs .. just checking .. as a typical DVR would not use that size video, but there could be something new out there im missing

that said, if your client will never be able to afford a Megapixel IP camera nor be able to handle and maintain the separate network required, then Id just stick to talking about normal CCTV cameras for now .. like everything cost will only drop though if more and more people actually buy the cameras . .. so once you see the price dropping, then Ill be looking closer at them ..

501 .. you can see a mega pixel image on any $99 digital camera these days ... But I imagine, well hope, these $2000 cameras are much better ..

that said stick a high res CCTV camera into a capture card, no compression, use VidCap or AmCap, and see how high quality it is .. its sweet .. even a 350TVL camera looks nice without compression ... though its still limited.

PS. anyone remember Covi??

Version 8.11 of geovision supports IP cameras. How well I have no idea, as I dont have any IP cams to test it with..

But it does allow you to add IP cameras, you need to enter the server ip, and other details.

Cool tip kensplace! I should knock off '3' from my list as Geo does hybrid too.

Based on this HW compatibility chart AverMedia seems to be have completed serious testing and diligently documented the 17 IP cams (and specific models) NV7000H supports. See IP cam section here >>

http://www.avermedia.com/nvd/hardware-recom.asp

Not saying Geo is not serious, just that i haven't tracked down a similar statement yet..