Arockerdude

How do I limit Geovision on Hard Drive use?

I have a 500 Gig. Hard Drive. But for some reason Windows tells me it is only 465 Gigs.

Windows and all my other stuff besides GeoVision is using about 50 Gigs.

So that leaves 415 Gigs for GeoVision.

I would like to have maybe 15 Gig. on standby. Does that sound like enough for windows to work Properly? I use one computer for all.

I am recording round the clock with four cameras. I am only getting about three and a half day's of video. The problem is. Geovision always uses all of my hard drive. Is there a way to put a limit on the amount of space Geovision uses? Thanks Dave

It's normal that windows only shows you *most* of your drive as available space.

FYI very not healty for your windows drive to run low on space. get Acronis and play with partitions. it's always a good idea is to set separate partition for the GV recordings( you can leave the proggy installed in the path but to store the video elsewhere.)

I think that your recording time is too low for 400 GB that you do have. should be way more than 3 days no?

what res you have set? what compression? what card?

GV800 Card using four cameras

GeoMpeg4-ASP

Recording Quality set at (5) 640x480 De-Interlace

Panel Resolution 1280x1024

I was getting seven days before I changed the resolutuion from 320x240 to 640x480. I may have changed something else also.

I see Acronis is $50 (not a good time for me to spend $$. I just put this computer together and spent lots of other money.)

Is there any cheaper or freeware Partition programs out there.

I use to have a free version of Partition Magic. Don't know what happened to it. Thanks for the help. Dave

Edited by Guest

out of curiosity, mind if i ask why not H.264 compression?

u can find a good powerful freeware for partitioning here:

http://www.ranish.com/part/

make sure you read all the documents before you start. also, since you already using the drive you should know that splitting it now to *might* cause you problems so make a backup just in case.

on Geo yes, and others I have seen also, H.264 is not as good as regular Mpeg4, in fact MJpeg is normally even better quality, just slower. For Geo, Mpeg4 is the best. Normally Wavelet would be better also, but Geo's wavelet is pretty bad.

Really it depends on the DVR.

Basically people are running towards faster record speeds they are forgetting that a surveillance system requires higher quality first .. just check the way the DVR manu's spec the DVRs with 320x240 .. that res sucks for any real evidence sharing.