G-MEN

Weatherproof dome ?'s

Does everybody use weatherproof/outdoor domes in all outdoor applications? I will be installing an outdoor camera that is located under an eave protected from the elements. I guess it could get wet if it was raining sideways, but that doesn't happen very often in Arizona. I'd hate to spend an extra 80 to 100 dollars on a weatherproof dome if I really don't need it. I always shrinkwrap all connections in outdoor installations. The camera is for my house and not a client. The KT&C WDR weatherproof dome and Nuvico WDR indoor dome would be roughly the same price, I'd rather have the Nuvico. Opinions appreciated, Thanks!!

yes but even with the outdoor vandal dome, you really need to seal around where the edge meets the eve. Otherwise an indoor camera will rarely make it through any storm, as it has no seal around the dome cover itself. Then again i have a friend that has a couple indoor domes outside under a covered area, and theyve lasted, though barely, they still work ...

This is a Ganz in the front of the house. Screwed it to a plywood platform I made then sealed it with silicone. You like how the paint matches? The new camera will not be as exposed as this one (new camera will be installed under the patio eave) Went ahead and ordered the KT&C, just in case. I hope it gets here soon, they start digging my pool next week. Gonna monitor them from work, make sure they don't have sticky fingers FYI most break ins occur after construction/remodels. Crews look into your house and see what you got, make sure to keep your blinds shut and your security system armed.

NEcamera.jpg.a5493a4869a568d46958c3fad41a84c5.jpg

I have seen the best domes fill with water even well sealed ones - the water can sneek in via the cables -or just condensation,

go for a bullet style cam 100% water proof !

z

Ive seen many Bullet cameras, even the "best" ones, filled with water also

Does this happen in most domes even IP66 rated ones? and do they always suffer from condensation?

I have had good success installing some of the cheaper Speco dome cameras under eaves where they sit well back "perhaps 10" inches or so" from the outside edge / gutter. Even here is the Pacific North West where we get our share of rain, water has not been an issue. I have had a few people decide to wash their sideing and eves with preassure washers which took it's toll on them. Cabling coming in from attic so no wire exposed, but I still seal where the cable comes into the camera and any other holes where small insects can enter. I am guessing the heat of the board camera attracts them in otherwise.

I have the KT&C vandal domes installed around the exterior of my home, currently in the process of replacing them with Pelco PTZ.

The KT&C domes are mated with a rubber o-ring between the cast aluminum halves. The bottom half has openings for threaded conduit. I have one camera that is vertically mounted on a wall, fully exposed to the elements 24/7, no water ingress in 2-years…so far.

I would have to agree, best to go for a IP66 Unit, but if not then use silicon to seal where the wires go in and place a small satchel to absorb moisture in the dome itself

I agree

ip66 is best

and the stachel idea was adopted some time ago just to soak up any condensation

I had a bullet cam in a fridge best water filled cam I came across

Nothing is water proof but you can make it weather resistant...

I have the KT&C vandal domes installed around the exterior of my home, currently in the process of replacing them with Pelco PTZ.

The KT&C domes are mated with a rubber o-ring between the cast aluminum halves. The bottom half has openings for threaded conduit. I have one camera that is vertically mounted on a wall, fully exposed to the elements 24/7, no water ingress in 2-years…so far.

What model of KT&C domes were you using, and why are you replacing them? They are currently on my short-list ..

In Arizona you should at least have a dome with good heat dissipation (fan, etc.) and probably a sun shield if it is going to be in the sun.

I use bullet style cameras and all are under eaves. Yesterday I checked one of them out because the image was out of focus, and these are supposedly fixed focus cameras...

As I unscrewed the front part of the camera (not a 'lens', just clear glass) I found the rubber o-ring behind it was cracked and had allowed moisture in. I cleaned the lens and glass with q-tips and put it back together with a new o-ring (on particular size of air conditioning o-rings from my 'import A/C service kit' was a perfect match.) I checked the other two bullet cameras and found them the same way, split, cracked o-rings.

Of course, these cameras have been in place ~5 years, so that's not too bad. They're good as new now.