CSG

RJ-45 Cat5 Crimping

Does anyone have a better mousetrap for crimping RJ-45 plugs? This is one of my least favorite jobs, between untwisting the 8 wires, getting the wires in the proper order, cutting them to proper length, and inserting them into the RJ45 plug without disturbing them for crimping is such a hassle.

I hear you loud and clear! I did a home some time back that 90 or 100 ports!!!!!!!!!!! (Double back bone).

Cross over/short verification was just as much of a pain!

Hey VST-Man....

employee!!!!!!!!! Ha! Ha! I liked that one!

Something like this would probably make it easier

http://www.smarthome.com/89210.html?src=WG1002279

Doug

Does anyone have a better mousetrap for crimping RJ-45 plugs? This is one of my least favorite jobs, between untwisting the 8 wires, getting the wires in the proper order, cutting them to proper length, and inserting them into the RJ45 plug without disturbing them for crimping is such a hassle.

I saw those EZ connectors from a google search, I think I'll give them a try. I just wasted a lot of time making a crossover cable the old fashion way.

Says you can buy an EZ crimper..

I think a regular RJ45 crimper would work. wouldn't it?

I think this is an awesome idea!! I usualy use an eye loupe to see them!

I'm getting some!

Matt~

We do a lot of data and avoid all plugs if possibe we always install a jack and use a patch cord. The big problem with plugs is that you have to be sure you have the correct plug for stranded or solid wire and they are hard to tell apart. if you make patch cords with solid wire they are prone to failing. We buy all our patch cords as they are so cheap it hardly makes sense to make our own.