FELTONCONSULTING

Installing Bullet Cameras Outdoors

I am seeking comments, suggestions and answers to a couple questions I have about a recent bullet camera installation I performed.

I currently have a bullet camera mounted on the exterior of my house (all concrete block). I mounted the camera to the wall using Tapcons. In order to get the Tapcons to fit, I had to widen the hole on the mounting bracket first. Then I drilled a 1" hole into my attic and ran the camera's cable through it. Inside I connected the video and power to a length of RG-59 siamese cable and terminated it in a low voltage gang-box with a keystone BNC connector.

Once I tested the video and power signal, I applied some silicone to the hole to create a water tight seal. This leads me to my first question:

How do you guys (the real pros ) mount these cameras outdoors?

Personally I prefer to use a box camera with an outdoor enclosure and run the cable through liquid tight flexi. Unfortunately my wife did not want the house looking like a walk-up ATM, so we reached a compromise with the bullet camera.

My main issue with the installation is that of the cables being exposed and run through the concrete wall. They could easily be cut or be damaged by the elements.

Is there any way to get this wire into a conduit with a liquid tight barrier?

I am looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks.

You did the job exactly as I would have done it.

Most of my installs are entry level jobs, and the customers are looking for a cheap bid with it delivered on a velvet pillow served on a silver platter!!

I commend you for bolting it to the wall!!! I have seen where DIY have attached them to the soffit only to have the soffit blow out on a windy storm. You would at least think they would attach it to a 2x4 in the soffit.

I run my wires through the attic and cut a hole in the soffit. Yes the wire is exposed, but the camera is usually close to the soffit. If someone is going to cut the wire you hope it will be on video.

I do not condone this method, and I do my best to talk people out of it and they choose to go ahead anyways!! I have actually ran the premade wire around the outside of a house, where it is reachable. There has never been any damaged to the wires in at least one year!

The customer was able to have an arrest made with their video! One for the good guy for a change!!

It is possible to have the wires damaged by the elements but I believe you should be ok.

I agree with scorpion. But if you really are concerned about the exposed wires then use flex conduit which can be bought in pre-made lengths at Home Depot or Lowe's. This will protect the wires. I usually mount the outside box as close as I can to the camera. This wire is still unprotected. The only coarse you can take with a bullet to protect against everything is mount in a housing.

the only way would be to use a Vandal Dome, and run the wires right up into the attic. But then you dont get the play you do with the bullet, and the install is typically more work and the product more expensive.

Also, I dont put the gang box in the attic, I put it on the wall, eave, or somewhere close, so there is access in the case of maintenance.

In the case of bullet and box cameras in housings or not, cutting the wire is not the only way to disable them. So dont worry, cover them at all angles, or of you cant, go higher, or if thats not possible, then use cheaper cameras that wont matter if they get stolen. Also note the higher you go, the less FOV you will get.

Either way, any camera can be disabled using a simple paint gun or even some of them, just a hose with water. So do it the best you can and make it look good, make the image look great, and thats what counts.

Thats right, and I mounted a bullet on the side of a building that was too low. I raised it 8 feet. The kids got a pole and wacked it.

These kids are skate boarding on my clients property. He has to clean up after them every day. He is now remote viewing so he go down and run them off. The cops won't do anything. He is scared that one of the kids will bust their head open and sue. I have now enclosed the cameras in housings and has helped.

I had the Police at my door at 5:00AM this morning. My neighbor made the outrageous claim that I threw fast-food chicken on her lawn at 4:00 AM. I did not even need to show the officer the video as I had pillow marks all over my face and a severe case of bed-head. This crazy lady is the main reason I installed cameras in my home. It is sad that I have to protect my family from this type of nonsense.

Also, thanks to all who replied. Now I don't feel so bad about the job I did.

Edited by Guest

That suks Felton, though I wish that was one of the reasons I had my cameras for, unfortunately they are simply there in case i get robbed, or killed

Rory,

Indeed, I could have bigger problems, although I would not put it past her to commit a violent act. To be honest I probably would have installed he cameras regardless. Aside from Miami not being the safest city in the US, I love to play with gadgets . Thanks again.