My neighbor has installed a hidden video camera and is taping me in front of my house, in my garage, side of my house and on my back balcony. How can I block his camera?

I live in Los Angeles, so please don't suggest I call the police...we don't have a police department.

If the camera is hidden, how can you see it?

Does this neighbor live beside you? How can he tape you inside of your garage?

If this neighbor lives in across the street from you then how can he tape you on the back patio?

Why is he/she taping you? I can only guess at your situation. It may be that they believe, or have a false belief that you have somehow "wronged" them and they are video taping you to have the video shot of you doing something that they do not approve. They have made you so angry that now it is easy for them to get video footage of you in a "rage", or a temper tantrum. DON'T GIVE THEM THE SATISFACTION!

Remain calm. Everything is going to be alright. You have done nothing wrong. They will not have any video footage of you doing anything. When they call the police to show them the "documentation" of nothing on video, then the police will just look at them and say "so what"! Then they will leave.

I have seen it in the past where some neighbor "starts it", and then video tapes the angry "target". They have video of someone screaming, and yelling, and cursing, and also punching trees, or at a fence, or a car, and the video may have threats of violence, such as I am going to kick your ....

When they show this to the police the other neighbor looks "bad", even though the first neighbor "started" it.

If they are video taping you there may not be much you can do. Remain Calm, and do not do anything!

If they are audio taping you then look in to your states rules about audio taping. Does your state require you to notify all parties that they are being recorded? This may give you a way to protect yourself. Audio taping in not allowed in most places.

Keep a jounal. Write down dates, and times that you see them video taping you.

I would suggest hiring a private detective. I would have the PI video tape the neighbor who is video taping you. This PI will be able to give you an affidavit for court.

If this is a long term problem then try this. Go to a hardware store and buy lattice material. Stand it up on end, and bury it in the ground or make some kind of stand. Grow some ivy, or some kind flowering vine. This will make for a privacy screen.

Actually, this is just another way of his harassing me. I also have a camera, but it is on my car and driveway. And I have a sign posted. I have a garage that empties out diagonally and that's how he can see the inside of my garage, but he doesn't have the camera focused to the street, just to the side only on my property.

I really don't care if he tapes me in the front yard, but my back balcony should be private. I haven't done anything to him, but the city attorney recommended a camera to me for 2 years, until I finally gave in. I don't have anything to hide, but I feel creepy around my own house.

I'm going to hire someone to find out if there are other cameras, in addition to audio. Audio is against the law in California without permission.

I'm thinking that I might put up a spotlight and just shine it in the camera. I noticed it when I saw a tin can on his patio with a cord coming from it. Then I could see the can cut out and then I saw the lens. This guy is so sneaky. I'm thinking of possibly filing for a TRO, but quite honestly, that won't necessarily stop him.

mirrors for daytime, spotlights for night, and lots of RF ...

in any event, as its one of those cheap hidden cameras, its going to have horrible light handling features (not designed for outdoors), wont see much at any kind of distance ... and if its a BW camera or even if not, the image will probably be horrible anyway. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

A simple resolution to the problem - move!

Gee, why didn't I think of that? I'll pack up 20 years worth of my life and improvements on my house and uproot my entire life because a bully moved in next door to me. Great solution...this reminds me why I stay single.

A simple resolution to the problem - move!

Gee, why didn't I think of that? I'll pack up 20 years worth of my life and improvements on my house and uproot my entire life because a bully moved in next door to me. Great solution...this reminds me why I stay single.

I can hook you up with some prime real estate down here overlooking the ocean

Seriously though, have you tried sending him a letter yet?

Or have you talked with him already?

Whats his beef, what does he want?

I've been in court with this guy for the last 5 years. He doesn't understands easements and basically wants me to move so that he can eliminate a prescriptive easement. He has cut my car tire, broken my tailight, slashed my convertible roof, blocked my entry to my garage, etc. This video thing is the latest. I had a TRO against him for a year and then my Attorney forgot to renew it.

What he's trying to do is harass me so that I will retailiate against him and I just won't do that. I'll depend on the court system to fight this and try to get as much of my $50,000 legal fees back and then I'll move, but I just cannot pick up and go. I'm a licensed realtor, so I could find another home, but my present home is perfect for me (except for the harassment).

All this time i thought you were a guy

Yep he is definitely a wuss .. BTW, what is a prescriptive easement?

Easy fix an IR LASER pointed at the camera he wont see the beam but

his camera will be flared out. you will need an IR camera to aim its beam

If your really nasty modulate it at say 8hz will drive ham crazy

ah... revenge though technology ......

ps you can get LASER illuminators from night vision shops they use them

to augment gen 1 stuff etc..

z

If this isn't an invasion of privacy I don't know what is. No dealer would install a camera like that.

I'm going to work with my Senior Lead Officer next week.

I'm going to replace my light above my garage with a very powerful spot. It's not the front yard that I'm worried about, although I do have some of my business product in my garage and keeping the door closed from now on, will be something I'll have to do. It's my back balcony that I'm most bummed about. I have a beautiful hill and like to spend time out there.

This guy is a narcissist and really scary.

your safest path is in court. if you can get a Judge to have him remove those cameras that are invading on your privacy then you'll get somewhere.

Have a Lawyer send a letter stating that unless he aims them elsewhere you'll file for invasion of privacy. Video taping of Public property is allowed but not private property. Also get good photos showing the cameras angles & positions as relating to your property.

The point is, if you think he is really a waco.....be careful of what you do.

and if you don't want to go the lawyer route, why not add some cameras yourself?

Ok, what is a prescriptive easement

Not only do I not understand them, I have never heard of the phrase before in my life....

Has whatever it is been explained to the neighbour?

(Im curious as to what one is, in these circumstances)

Secondly, your lawyer forgot to renew a TRO (what is a TRO?)...

Surely if your lawyer was under instructions to renew it, and your explicit wishes were that the lawyer should take care of that, then the lawyer is negligent, and you could maybe think about suing...

Bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, you would need to get professional advice, but the lawyer is supposed to be the pro, and if they screw up - well they are insured against claims against that sort of thing.....

Third, you say you have cameras, is your neighbour aware of the reasons why you have cameras, and what exactly they see? Maybe he is just peeved and paranoid thinking your spying on him, and decided to play what he thinks is the same game back on you.... Is it just a lack of communication, or is he really nuts?

Ahhhh kensplace, I wish I didn't what know what a prescriptive easement or TRO was.

TRO=Temporary Restraining Order

Prescriptive Easement and Implied Easement=Rights to do something on someone's elses property. In my case, drive across his property to get to my garage.

I also have a Community Driveway Addendum, which give me normal driveway rights, like washing my car, parking, etc. My problem is that my neighbor never recognized or respected any of these.

He is a bully, which makes him waco. He treats this like a game. His Attorney is just as bad. The guy basically wants me gone and he will go to any extent to damage my physical and real property to get what he wants.

I do have a camera, but the law is, no front yard expectation of privacy, but side and back yard off limits. The City Attorney and Police told me to put one in. It is to video my car and he knows it. He has no front yard coverage of his property, just my side yard and back balcony. I'm not going to break the law, because if this goes to court, he will show the judge that I have recorded him also. I may not have mentioned that he tapped into my wireless camera, much to my horror.

We just had a decision here in Ohio by the Supreme Court of Ohio that had something similiar going on.

A neighbor didn't like what her neighbor was doing so she was video taping everything. The neighbor filed a lawsuit on invasion of privacy and WON.

I'd contact a new attorney - I think you have a case.

Point a laser pen into the lens of the camera. That should mess it up good, and you can do it effectivly from a long ways away.

All this time i thought you were a guy

Yep he is definitely a wuss .. BTW, what is a prescriptive easement?

An easement is the right to do something or the right to prevent something over the real property of another. At common law, an easement came to be treated as a property right in itself and is still treated as a kind of property by most jurisdictions. In some jurisdictions, another term for easement is equitable servitude, although easements do not have their origin in equity.

The right is often described as the right to use the land of another for a special purpose. Unlike a lease, an easement does not give the holder a right of "possession" of the property, only a right of use. It is distinguished from a license that only gives one a personal privilege to do something on the land of another. An example of a license is the right to park a car in a parking lot with the consent of the parking lot owner. Licenses in general can be terminated by the property owner much more easily than easements. This is different although similar to a wayleave. Easements also differ from licenses in that they are attached to the land, not to a person. This means that a property that enjoys an easement over another will continue to enjoy the easement even if the property gets transferred to a different owner.

Are his cameras hardwired or wireless? Can you pick up the signal and prove which way they are pointing?

Him picking up your wireless signal is exactly the reason I don't do wireless.

i argee, get a high powered laser pointer and play with the cameras, im not sure if you can damage the image sensor on the camera, and i dont think it is illegal to do if you do it from your yard, the cameras are not suposed to be pointing in your yard, just dont point it at windows or people. remember to smile while doing it!

next time you are in court, demand they mak him install camera with pivacy masking.....lol