paratonerali

Computers Power Supply

i heard that i can use pc power supply for cctv.But i dont know how to connect.i think it will be very usefull cos it has fan.

Which cables will i connect to cameras.Only black and red ones.

Must i connect each of them to another power cable or all of them to one power cable?

Sorry for my english.

powersupply.jpg

powerconbigmini.jpg

powerconbig.jpg

Yellow is 12v DV so power only 12V DC cameras..

I use one myself for testing cameras, but if you use one for a real camera, that you rely on for security, remember that they shut down on a short-circuit, so all a thief would need to do is short the power and the camera is dead, and remains dead until you manually restart the power.

Also - remember a pc power supply can put out a large amount of current (enough to easily start a fire under certain fault situations)

I would recommend putting normal fuses between the 12v power from the pc supply, and the camera being powered, as although the psu will shut down on a dead short, the fault may not produce a short, but may draw say 15 amps or whatever, enough to set something on fire. A standard fuse should be used to stop that from occuring.

Use at your own risk...

Also, if memory serves, PC power supplies sample the +5 volt supply to control the voltage of the rest of the outputs. If there is no load on the +5 volt source, the rest of the supply doesn't work.

I wouldnt. Just buy a 12VDC power supply one time, you can get a 2Amp plug for like $10 these days. If you dont want to spend the $40-50 for a fused distributed supply, that single plug can power several 12VDC cameras if needed.

Yup RadioShack has 1amp units for $15-20.

Also though as was pointed out, these are 12amp units. Thats a pretty big power supply.

they need a power on connection.

PC supplys are normally cheap and un-reliable.

yep get a real one !