kopykat

Anyone seen this DVR before?

homesecuritystore dot com is offering a VC-SYS-16CHWEBR - 16 Channel DVR with CDRW for $1123.50 .

any thoughts? the price looks very good.

would you rate this as a good quality dvr?

it looks like an avtech at first glance, but a closer look and ull see its not.

Where can I buy avtech DVRs in the states?

here's what im looking for...

I need a 16 channel DVR , dont know if i should get a standalone or pc based one. I dont know what wiring I should use, Im thinking of using BNC cables.

I would definitely want to have web remote access. Video Quality is important, but not as important as reliability. This DVR should run for 10 years, I wouldnt wanna get a new one after only 2 years of usage or something.

I will probably only be using about 8 cameras at first setup and might add more later on. The video doesnt have to be smooth 30fps but would be nice to have. I ruled out wireless because it seems way too expensive and the place this is intended for is a rather big space and I doubt I can afford anything with that kind of range.

Anyways,

If anyone can please recommend a good price/performance solution please do.

Thank you.

[edit]

after doing some more research I came across the geovision 1480 card.

Seems to be very popular. what do you guys think of this card?

Does it offer real-time recording and viewing?

looking forward to some feedback, thanks.

Edited by Guest

10 years is kind of pushing it, you can get an easy 5 years out of one that cost maybe $5000+ retail, the big brands .. but the OEM ones .. you are lucky if you get a couple years from it, let alone 10 years ..

Besides that, technology changes quickly these days.

C'mon it has the same remote as an AvTech/CPCam. They have an ebay store, just write cpcam dvr on search.

Ya, that's CPCam or AVTech whichever way you want to call it.

IMHO, i'm staying way away from PC Based DVR now. I'll go for standalone anytime. Too much time wasted on maintening and troubleshooting pc based system.

IMHO, i'm staying way away from PC Based DVR now. I'll go for standalone anytime. Too much time wasted on maintening and troubleshooting pc based system.

I like the new PC based systems, not much maintenance to them either. After the warranty period some standalone systems cannot be repaired due to being out of production.

Nap Jones

I have heaps and heaps of pc based systewms out there

the prob I find is that people cheat and try to cut corners with hardware - **** machine

Go to tested pc's area and find the one Im using now, tried and tested- working perfectly, suits any card....

2gb ram is filth- you can go another 2gig on that board for 100 bucks , so 4 gig will fly

the prob I find is that people cheat and try to cut corners with hardware - **** machine

Go to tested pc's area and find the one Im using now, tried and tested- working perfectly, suits any card....

2gb ram is filth- you can go another 2gig on that board for 100 bucks , so 4 gig will fly

4GB .. using 32 or 64 bit windows? Far as I know 32bit windows only sees 3GB? So the question is, does Geo work on 64 bit windows .. ?

Sorry

@kopykat,

you should go pc based, this way you can UG relatively cheap

The MB im using (abit lg95) is future proof, works with Celeron, pentium core 2 etc etc

All you have to o is swap the card later to UG cheaply if ever required,

Technology changes rapidly, that after 5 yrs you will UG...

Plus the AV tech crap (cp cam) is cheap gear and does not even come close to geo, why would you risk loosing a conviction over $500 you could have spent on a decent dvr. The AV tech (cp cam) stuff does not have LIVE view, is poor quality and even with a bosch 485 or samsung 740 does not give you anywehre near the quality the camera is pumping out

Buy a cheap card off ebay, atleast it will record at near quality of the camera connected to it.

Im starting to hate standalones, unless its high end gear like DM or Dalmeiyer even then It just doesnt compare,

I have a mate going from Digital Si over to Geo cause hes seen my gear and loves it

Custom gui and remote control over the whole PC is the best...

4GB .. using 32 or 64 bit windows? Far as I know 32bit windows only sees 3GB? So the question is, does Geo work on 64 bit windows .. ?

I havent installed more en 2gb, cause its overkill really on a core2 duo,

You could go to vista and use 4gb...

Im still using basic old 32 bit windows home- working perfectly for dvr's....

The rest is a waste.. IMHO

I havent installed more en 2gb, cause its overkill really on a core2 duo,

You could go to vista and use 4gb...

Im still using basic old 32 bit windows home- working perfectly for dvr's....

The rest is a waste.. IMHO

Yep, using 32 bit myself .. and 2GB .. been using DDR2-667 for quite a while now, but going to use DDR2-800 on a system coming in now, will see if its any faster

BTW see the Core 2 Duo 2.6 is cheaper than the previous 2.4, and the Quad and 3.0 is the same price now .. got the new 2.6 coming in now though as well its $100 cheaper .. will see how it goes