DC

Outdoor, long range, night camera

I currently have some outdoor day/night (color-b/w) IR cameras that just don't work well enough. I'd like to replace them with something better. What I have now are VDI-2001CIH, I think with a Sony CCD sensor. They work great during the day, but I need something with more range (200ft) and has better vision at night.

I have a large rectangular building that has outdoor lights on each corner, and that is where I have the cameras. Part of my problem is that at night the lighting washes out the camera image. So, I moved the cameras away from the lighting, but I still can not get a decent night image.

I searched the forum looking for topics prior to posting my question.

What camera would you recommend for what I need? Any suggestions for placement of the cameras in relation to the existing lighting?

My DVR is an SPE-800, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions,

DC

Thanks Collin. That camera is an indoor camera. Is there anything that wouldn't require an outdoor housing?

I would suggest a Toshiba IK-1000 and a Fujinon 60x Lens. Detection range would be around 2.75 miles at night. Identification would be around 2 miles. Cost would be around $20k, plus housing.

Wow, that is inviting, and almost within budget. If only it came with a housing.

Long range (200ft), outdoor, weather proof, night camera, < $20K.

DC

You might be able to get everything, including housing wholesale for under 20k. You can't beat the performance of that setup for the price. If you only need 200', you could save a ton of money by using a 20x-30x lens and then you could get a smaller housing, thus reducing your cost even more.

Best bet is to see what Extreme CCTV has to offer. If you are indeed talking about a night camera.

Are we down into the $300 per camera range yet?

You did want this to work didn't you?

If you keep buying $150 cameras you'll eventually spend more.

I was surprised to see how well the new Pelco Spectra IV - 35x WDR picked up at night - around $2400. Specs say

0.55 lux at 1/60 sec (color)

0.063 lux at 1/4 sec (color)

0.00018 lux at 1/2 sec (B-W)

This close up picture is about 15x zoom almost 200 feet to the far deer.

The other picture is what you get for $300 .

Andy

1608981384_pelcodeer.jpg.d9237dafa08545ded6b15c266228c635.jpg

595751548_deercheap.jpg.442bb2e0c40e553f1edd04eae2731246.jpg

Is that a fair comparison? The second picture looks to be a wider angle. Is this the same camera from the thread about the guy who stole the lawn mower? Didn't you say the nice camera was removed for repair and the replacement was a wider angle?

Yeah, it's much darked, but it's also got two bright light sources in it.

I'm not an expert, just seemed like an apples to oranges comparison. Maybe if the zoom was the same in both pics it's be more of a slam dunk.

A big fat IR illuminator would fix the problem.

then you could ID the deer etc

you would have a clearer picture less noise etc

tho there is a lot of light down there maybe better camera angle to miss the lights. or even change them to a down light type to stop direct light at the camera.

the best option would be a camera near the lights on a pole

z

Is that a fair comparison? The second picture looks to be a wider angle. Is this the same camera from the thread about the guy who stole the lawn mower? Didn't you say the nice camera was removed for repair and the replacement was a wider angle?

No, it is not a fair comparison. The wide angle is the cheap camera with a low zoom lens and the top one is an expensive PTZ.

And by the way, they never found the guy that stole the lawn tractor.

Andy

Hello DC,

I saw your forum for several times and for your question i will give you some suggetions.

1,you need the camera keep the record in dark night?So you need one day/night camera.Sonny ccd is good choice for you ,because it has a good image in night.Only sonny ccd is not enough,your camera should with IR.

2.Your building light will wash the keep record?So you need change the camera as auto iris lens,the ALC can control the light automaticly.It will change your prolem(wash the keep record)

3,your camera is indoor camera?If you want to install it outside you need some bracket for it so that it can be installed easy.

4.You want to install it outside?If you want to install it outside you need water resistance vandel camera.It can resist the water keep the camera for long time to use.

all of these are my suggesion for you ,hoping it can give you some help!

Thanks and Regards!

Hello DC,

I saw your forum for several times and for your question i will give you some suggetions.

1,you need the camera keep the record in dark night?So you need one day/night camera.Sonny ccd is good choice for you ,because it has a good image in night.Only sonny ccd is not enough,your camera should with IR.

2.Your building light will wash the keep record?So you need change the camera as auto iris lens,the ALC can control the light automaticly.It will change your prolem(wash the keep record)

3,your camera is indoor camera?If you want to install it outside you need some bracket for it so that it can be installed easy.

This most valuable suggestions I ever seen

"indoor camera need bracket to be install outside"

I usually just glue them or use nails

4.You want to install it outside?If you want to install it outside you need water resistance vandel camera.It can resist the water keep the camera for long time to use.

all of these are my suggesion for you ,hoping it can give you some help!

Thanks and Regards!

Hello ak357,

If you want to use glue it is ok,but not very fastness,you know that ,when the glue meet the water it will lose the pectin.If you purchase the bracket the bracket with the screw ,it will be good for you to use and convenient.

If you also have more questions please ask me if i can help you i will try my best to help everybody,i want to browser every body's forum and reply it well,sometimes i am too much business.Hoping my suggetion can give you some help

Thanks and regards!

I currently have some outdoor day/night (color-b/w) IR cameras that just don't work well enough. I'd like to replace them with something better. What I have now are VDI-2001CIH, I think with a Sony CCD sensor. They work great during the day, but I need something with more range (200ft) and has better vision at night.

I have a large rectangular building that has outdoor lights on each corner, and that is where I have the cameras. Part of my problem is that at night the lighting washes out the camera image. So, I moved the cameras away from the lighting, but I still can not get a decent night image.

I searched the forum looking for topics prior to posting my question.

What camera would you recommend for what I need? Any suggestions for placement of the cameras in relation to the existing lighting?

My DVR is an SPE-800, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions,

DC

The long range IR camera isn't hard, but the lighting might still cause problems.

Arm C520HDCVFIR492 - 492' of IR(you might get away with the 280' version, but I try to overdue it when your working with import equipment.)

Vitek CCTV VTC-IR1600/550 - 350' of IR.

Both are a lower priced than other options listed.

In my opinion the best choice would be:

Panasonic WV-CP484 + good lens(Senko, Fujinon, or similar.) + Outdoor Housing + Extreme IR Illuminator like the UF100.301.

Wow, OK. So I see that for my needs, we're looking at some expensive equipment. I'll have to find out just how much the person that wants this installed is willing to spend. But I'm not too optimistic that he wants to spend that much money.

I will look at all options listed and see what the bossman wants to do. Hopefully I'll be able to answer his questions. Like why does it cost so *^$ much?!

Several people have mentioned the Panasonic WV-CP484; would this also REQUIRE an IR illuminator? I would prefer to not have to run more cable (power for an illuninator) but if I have to I will.

What problems will the current lighting produce? I am going to include a rough layout of the building (I'm at work and have access to MS paint only), showing where the lights are and where the current cameras are. In the top right there is an X, that was the original position of cameras 1 & 2, but proved to be too close to the light and were moved to the their current location, which isn't much better. Camera 1 is on the only entrance into the yard, and the picture isn't horrible, but could be better. Camera 2 is worthless at night what we need an eye on is too far away, and worthless early morning, the sun comes up in view and washes out the picture. Camera's 3 and 4 and decent (when the light stays on - I need to replace the light sensor), but only on the close objects. Would like to be able to see further at night.

Thanks for everyones input.

DC

Here is a design view.

building.jpg

DC

EDITED: CR - Allowed the link through auto stopped by post count limit.

take a look at the Extreme CCTV EX-82 for a great Day Night IR Camera ... up to 100+ of guarenteed Infrared, Dual Cameras (Seperate BW and Color cameras). Had them on a beach location now for 6 years. Not cheap though.

DC i posted the link for you above.

The VW-CP484 does not require an illuminator, it will make very goos use of whatever lighting you have. If thats IR then great, if it's star/moonlight great too.

Be careful on your lens selection, you want just enough to get it done. The tighter the lens the less light that gets through.

Rory,

What cameras/setup are you running here?

DC

:D

ex82field.jpg

apart from the front door camera on the right lower box, they are all EX-82's from Extreme CCTV. Its the camera pictured in the 2 top boxes. Most of them are just mounted on the side of the home though, only 2 poles exist.