Run geovision as a Service

OK, here is a great question for everyone. How can you run Geovision as a service of windows? I have a system that needs to be able to boot up and start the camera software but still have windows locked, so no employee can access it. Geo only runs once windows boots up and if tyou need to log into windows, if there is ever a power failure or reboot your screwed. I know how to have windows auto log in, but then there is still access to the buttons while Geo is loading. It security is at it's highest for this customer so if anyone knows or has ideas, please share them. For now I created a basic user account with no rights at all and I have Geo auto log in to full screen and since they have no access to any cameras, it's just a black screen. OK, but not ideal.

You can also try the old fashioned way.

Fully configure Geovision **Must have auto start monitoring, auto start networking...

From command prompt:

sc create Geovision binpath= "C:\GV****\GV****.exe"

ControlPanel>Administrative Tools>Services

Find the Geovision service, right click it and choose properties.

Change the Startup Type to "Automatic", move to the Log On tab and allow it to interact with the desktop.

Optionally in the recovery tab you can configure what it should do if it senses a problem.

I don't do it that way anymore, I just make XP autologin. I can't remember why though.

i tested Geo in the bblean shell recently .. even better, no explorer .. no taskbar or desktop .. and i use my program to lock down the rest .. so boots right into the shell and Geo .. in other words .. you only see Geo. Wont go into details but you also disable the XP welcome screen.

Anyway, only 1 issue occurred .. when you then open ViewLog, the Scaling Render setting is disabled by default ... you can renable it right away, but anyone have any ideas why that would occur? Maybe its starting up TOO fast for Geo?

Or.. you could just have windows log in, auto start geo and have it start recording just don't have it auto log into a geo account. Let it sit there waiting for someone to log into geo.

Or you can even have it log into a geo account automatically, just set that account up so it can't do anything useful.

Problem is there is a minute or more when it is starting the computer, loading explorer, and the Multicam and all its other components .. one has time to do CTL-ALT-DEL and terminate the Geo Processes ... or just go into MSconfig really fast and make changes then restart ..

Ofcourse one could just pull the plug also and take the hard drive out .. so anyway

When running the Geovision as a service, can you still log in and use it as normal? Lets say normally it is running as a service and no user is logged in on Windows, but then you need to go in and playback files etc. Will this then be as it would if running Geo as normal?

JD

I imagine you will need to log off and back on as a seperate user to enter the Multicam GUI ... as for playback and such you should be able to run that separately and just login as usual. I think you can set it to interact with the desktop also though .. perhaps then it will show ... Hmmm .. lets see .. I have to reinstall the card first.

I imagine you will need to log off and back on as a seperate user to enter the Multicam GUI ... as for playback and such you should be able to run that separately and just login as usual. I think you can set it to interact with the desktop also though .. perhaps then it will show ... Hmmm .. lets see .. I have to reinstall the card first.

Tell me how it went!

JD

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Geovision service to connect.

Granted i have it installed on my main PC which is a 2.0 Ghz AMD with 512 DDR so its not super fast .. plus It loads other services etc on startup as its not a dedicated DVR (though I can still stream up to 64 cameras in my new LVG development) ... GV8.12 is just extra slow anyway, needs more memory and CPU than older versions .. particularly more memory actually .. even so .. it took too long to start up and does take a while even on a Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz with 2GB DDR2 ..

It may have worked with GV 7.0 which loads much faster .. but since 8.0 the start up is extra demanding on the system.

Dont try this at home kids!

Now to remove the service

We always use the auto log in feature too, but for this case they need the service. Thanks Collin R, that's a great trick. One question, should they start the GV800.exe or the DM500startup.exe that runs when you add Geo to your startup?

From what I saw though you cant customize which Geo Programs are on the Keylocks list and cant rename them.

I tried these tips and that works. But . . . My webserver does not work when Geovision is running as a service so I can not see my cameras over the web which I do a lot. Actually I am using CQC and view my cameras via a webpage. Is there a way around this so my webserver is working properly too?

since they can access the machine ..... what is the point (they can just sabotage it anyway).

Locking it:

- use geo-desktop

- pc and GV software in auto start mode

If they can not access the machine: easy->just the screen (no keyboard mouse), if correctly installed it will always restart.

Runing as a service: I would try win 2003, thats build for running services and does not need all of the hardware to run (can run and sartup without keyboard and mouse ...) and can start services without a need to first logon.