Steve D

what is the law regarding CCTV signs?

Do I need to inform staff where the cameras are or can I just put some signage up stating that CCTV is in operation in this office?

What is the location of your place of business (ie: city, state, country)? Are you asking whether or not you are legally required to inform employees that they will be surveyed using hidden cameras or by less discrete means? Will you record sound? How will you use the recorded video? Will there be any possibility that the public might be able to gain access to the live/recorded video? -Sorry for all the questions, my legal background is showing itself.

Do I need to inform staff where the cameras are or can I just put some signage up stating that CCTV is in operation in this office?

Think you are not in the same country as I am but just for fun and intrest tell about Norway,

1. Secret camera surveillance is forbidden! (That will say that you are not allowed to have any cameras, without having a sign saying that CCTV is in operation.

2. It is illigal to have a CCTV sign up if you do not have any real CCTV surveillance.

3. It is not to have Dummy/broken cameras in "use".

4. It is allowed to have hidden cameras so long it is a sign saying CCTV is in operation.

So for a retailer, you would need to inform employees about the CCTV and they can ask to see the camera point of view. You need to put at least a sign at the entrance telling customers that CCTV is in use. You can not store the video files more then 7 days. After that you need to delete them or hand them over to the police if you want them to use them in a ongoing criminal case. (Post office and Banks and some other high risk/high security places can store for 30 days).

You are not allowed to use CCTV in public places like outside on the street etc, only Police can after they have filed a request that have been approved. There is not allowed to use Audio in any way except at Bank/Post office. You are not allowed to film in places where people would excpet to find privacy for instance Toilets, dressing room, showers, swimming pools, nightclubs and bar's.

Probably not much useful here but ....

JD

So for a retailer, you would need to inform employees about the CCTV and they can ask to see the camera point of view.

Great! Why not just show them the combination to the safe while you are at it?

Seriously, showing the employees the camera point-of-view also shows them what the camera does not see. That's an invitation to steal since they will know where you can't see.

So for a retailer, you would need to inform employees about the CCTV and they can ask to see the camera point of view.

Great! Why not just show them the combination to the safe while you are at it?

Seriously, showing the employees the camera point-of-view also shows them what the camera does not see. That's an invitation to steal since they will know where you can't see.

Well I am so agree to both of you! hehe

JD

LOL .. down here you dont need any signs. Any form of recording, audio, video, anything, can be done, "anywhere", there are no laws for any of that .. yet.

I am very adamant with my customers and always let them know that audio recording can really complicate things for them, both operationally and legally. Many states have unique rules about privacy and recording audio. Many judges accross the country would not hesitate in throwing out your hard earned evidence just because you recorded someone's conversation without their consent.

Of course, this is not the case for every state, but do keep in mind that this is the land where you can sue McDonalds and win for serving your hot coffee too...hot.

just my 2 cents..

I think it also has to do where the camera is pointed. In Europe, on public streets, there is like a communal law for that. For stores, there is a mandatory sign, but i don't think penalties are harsh. But as for legality..?