GunRunner1

How do you guy's focus a camera with out two pepole??

Is their a small monitor that runs on batteries or what?

I can't spend alot?

Can I build one?

I live alone and hate to ask pepole for help.

But can you help?

yes there called field monitors and you can find them on line.They run about $ 200.00 bucks.I have even use my little brothers portable dvd player using a difrent plug for video.

Do you have a small 13 inch color TV with a video in socket? It can be on the front, or the back.

Most TVs are set by default to use the F connector on the back of the TV. This is the screw on connector where your cable attaches.

Here is how you can get video activated on your small TV with a composite video input.

On some TVs to activate the composite signal it is a simple as pressing the channel down button until you get to channel 2. When you press the down button one more time this will activate the AUX, or GAME input. This should bring in your video. If it does not, then you may have to find the remote control to the TV, and you will have to find a button that is marked as one of the following:

SOURCE, or INPUT, Aux, or the button may be marked as GAME. Press this button, and it should reactivate your composite signal input. For those TVs with multiple inputs, you may have to press this button several times. You will see an On Screen Display (OSD), and it will show you input 1, input 2, input 3, input 4, and so forth. It may show High Definition 1 (HD), High Definition 2, S video, Composite 1, and Composite 2. Keep pressing your button until the composite is highlighted. On some TVs you may have to press a "select" button after you have highlighted composite.

You can get one cheap in the U.S. at a pawn shop! Make sure it has a composite video input before you pay for it. Test it too before you leave with a DVR or something!

I hope this helps!

Scorpion

Field monitors are fine for minor adjustments, but for a proper focus you need at least a 9" CRT monitor. LCDs are no good for focusing. Also, if you really dont want to work with a big 9 or 13" CRT there are focus meters, and then you could use that with the Field Monitor; but they are not cheap.

I carry my battery operated Radio Shack model up the ladder with me, usually. Small screen CRT, but I only paid about 20 bucks for it. I made a little holder for it, out of fishing net, in which I will put one screw into an eave to hold it, while I am working on the camera(s). Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the great info!

I went in to radio shack and they had a 5" b.w. t.v. for 19.99 uses D batteries Lucky for me it was the demo model and it had batteries in it. Batteries cost all most as much as the t.v. also bought a vidio to bnc adapter. Hooked a pc. of rope to it and up the ladder I went. Not the best focus job but better than it was. I got tired of walking 300 + ft. back to the house to see the picture.

I think I need a strap thow. The rope kinda cuts on you.

What is the difference in crt?

CRT

Cathode Ray Tube

It has a glass "picture". CRT TVs tend to be deep from front to back.

LCD are very Flat. Feels more like a plastic "picture".

CRT will have a better appearance when you look at them. They are much brighter then LCD. In a bright area such as outdoors you will have to cup your hands to shade the LCD screen to see the picture.

I measure out the desired point of focus on-site.

At home, I plug into my DVR or TV and focus under day and night conditions.

Getting off the point just alittle.

My monitor is a old heavy IBM. Whats my best bet on a monitor. I hate to sound like a cheap scap but I want so much I have to really budget my money. I don't care if the monitor is heavy but I want a quility picture.

I'd like to have a big flat screen. What's my option's used t.v., computor monitor, cctv monitor. Suffer with old monitor and spend money on camera ect. I guess I want the best bang for my bucks.

You might check into getting a used large (22" or so) CRT. I bought a few dell 22'' monitors from a guy with a warehouse full of used computer parts for about $60 each. Ofcourse I made sure that everything was legit before I bought anything. You could also get a VGA converter to plug your BNC connector into. You might try Craigs list or a local computer store. Good Luck.

A BNC to VGA Video Converter allows you to connect your camera to a monitor. Try a google search.

As a general rule, a monitor will be capable of higher resoultion than a tv, but quality depends on many different factors, whether you have a new or old monitor.

For a CRT monitor, you want to have good convergence (clean white lines with no colors on the edges). Good screen geometry; flat screen monitors often have problems with screen geometry due to difficulty controlling electron beams with precision. As a result, vertical lines may be noticeably curved at the edges of the display, and circles may appear oval or egg-shaped. The best CRT monitors include controls that let you adjust the screen geometry; still, it can be difficult to adjust it perfectly in all regions of the screen.

Also, pick a monitor with good image regulation; you want an image that does not change its dimensions or distort when the content of the image changes. Poor image regulation can be a problem with lower-priced models and displays that are operated at the upper limits of their specifications.

In my last post, I was telling you that you can probably find a deal if you look around for a quality used monitor. Make sure that you find one that is not near the end of its life expectancy, or you will be disappointed in the waste of money.

Don't waste your money on a cheap monitor, as you will be disappointed in the image quality, especially when trying to adjust a cctv camera.