jonkav

long distance wireless

Hi everyone. I need an advise in wireless devices. Camera must be installed 1000-1500feet (300-500meters) away from my dvr system. A little bit of hills a little bit of trees. To run a cable is nearly impossible or super expensive. I need some serious wireless solution. Can anyone suggest the specific equipment I should use to transmit/receive the signal? Thanks.

4-5 trees are blocking the site.

Avalan Wireless should be able to handle this. Give them a call and they should be able to get you situated. I believe they will recommend the following:

(1) AW900x - Wireless Ethernet Bridge retail $999.00

(1) AW15 - Antenna retail $99.00

Note: You will need encoder/decoders for your cameras.

hold on.............encodes/decoders are expensive.........one decent DVR with a IP Server at the distant end could handle multiple cameras.

how many cameras?

as mentioned above, using a bridge via networking along with a IP Server (Pixord or Axis) you can do it, but, you have to also figure out the best recording & viewing method.

I tested a system from AvsSys that uses H.264 IP Servers. Worked great! Check them out. http://www.avssys.net/?s=product&sub=pcdvr

DVR's are also Hybrid. Neat trick with the H.264 IP Server was that it did not take any analog slots when added to the DVR......ie.a 8 channle H.264 analog DVR with a 4 channel H.264 IP Server equaled 12 camera total. Softaware could handle multiple stacked of any combination and overall was limited by CPU & card slots available. I built mine on a older dual core 2.8 and it handled the 8 channel with 4 nicely.

Sounds like what I need for a project on 70 acres in North Carolina.

What would I need to budget (retail) for a project like this? Ballpark figures are OK.

Sounds like what I need for a project on 70 acres in North Carolina.

What would I need to budget (retail) for a project like this? Ballpark figures are OK.

How many cameras?

I usually ask my customers for a diagram for wireless apps because there is alot of factors to consider with wireless. Doesn't have to be too accurate, a rough sketch works. of course thats for an actual quote. For a rough estimate all I need would be number of camera locations that would need wireless systems, and if it will be a non-LOS system or if you will have LOS.

And yes simply using an encoder and recording to a NVR/Hybrid is also just as effective as decoding the video at the headend(perhaps more effective because of how versatile IP cameras are. ). Using IP cameras works too.

use Google Earth after you get the location....much better in planning.

Ball Park figures are really hard to just toss out with a project like this.

I would build the recording side of this first and then expand to internet last. Nice thing about large areas and IP cameras is you can hide the DVR anywhere and the recorded video is priceless. Remote viewing a nice to have.

Ball Park figures are completely a SWAG and is not realistic until you have more information. ie. camera location equals camera required. distances, wireless or wired, equal hardware and labor required. # of cams equals sticker shock! Travel? Long Term support?