FELTONCONSULTING

My Opinion of the Pelco DX-4004 DVR

I currently own a Pelco DX4004 DVR and I thought I would post my comments on the unit.

I have been using the DX-4004 for about six months and have found it to be very reliable. I have found the image quality acceptable, but as stated in other posts, image quality is only going to be as good as the cameras providing the image. The unit boots up in about 20 seconds and has run 24x7 without a problem. While the build quality is excellent, I do suspect that PELCO has relabeled a DVR produced by one of the "usual suspects", but this is only speculation.

User Experience

The user interface (UI) is intuitive and well designed. After opening the box, I had the unit up and running with motion activated recording in about fifteen minutes. Even my wife can operate the unit.

Remote Client Software

The remote client is easy to use and provides the ability to download video to your PC. I typically download video I need to retain to my laptop and then back it up on DVD. This is done over my wireless network and a minute of video recorded at the highest image quality setting and with a 704X240 resolution is about 20 MB. I do like the ability to download the video to my computer; however, this feature is completely worthless if you plan to archive more than a few minutes of video over an average WAN connection.

I must also caution anyone considering purchasing this DVR about its weak security. The password must be four digits selected from the set 1,2,3,4.

This is completely unacceptable! It is simply too easy to guess the password.

So if you plan to use this DVR using a public connection, I suggest securing access to the system by implementing a VPN. I can't believe a unit costing almost $1000.00 would lack decent password security.

Customer Service

In the past, customer service and support are not features (and yes I consider them features) that I valued. I felt that having a

with a decent warranty was enough assurance. Well, as many of you know that is not always the case. After being burnt so many times, I chose to purchase a DVR from a company that is known to standby their products. Let me just say this PELCO offers excellent and friendly customer support.

When I lost the remote for my unit last week I began to freak out over finding a replacement. I decided to call PELCO and ask them if it could be replaced.

After nervously dialing the customer support phone number, I was surprised that a human answered the phone. I stated my problem, she looked up the part number, and gave me the names of local distributors that carry the part. The call lasted one minute. PELCO is the only company I have called for support where I have not wanted to strangle the person on the other end of the phone for wasting my time or not listening to me. The representative understood my concern and helped me resolve it in a quick and friendly manner. It really made a huge difference.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase and I hope PELCO addresses the password issue with the DX-4000 series.

Now that I have given my opinion, I would like yours:

I wish to move up a class or two for my next DVR purchase.

A unit offering more with respect to remote access and archiving for under $2000.00 is desired.

I have been drooling over the PELCO DV-5004 which seems to have an excellent set of features. Unfortunately, the best price I could find was about $2500.00 which is more than I am willing to pay.

Please advise.