GunRunner1

camera's gettin hot??

I changed out a camera and I noyiced it was hot. The next day I changed it again with a different camera and it was hot. Is this normal?

I forgot the camera is in a inclosure with the front open.

Edited by Guest

They do get hot, depends on the camera and the actual location. But if they get too hot it could also not be getting enough power; Amps.

How is the temperature where it is located?

It was 102 F yesterday.

Ya I was worried about voltage drop thats why I didn't mention the 300' cable run. I plan to check the voltage at both ends with a volt meter. Whats the min for 12vdc. and for 24vdc.

Is there anyother way I can check that?

Whats the min for 12vdc. and for 24vdc.

Most camera manufacturers recommend 10% as the maximum voltage drop. That means that for 12VDC, the minimum voltage at the camera should be 10.8 volts and for a 24VAC camera, the minimum should be 21.6 volts. You should include the draw for heaters, blowers and PTZ motors when figuring or measuring voltages.

Also, most 24VAC power supplies don't actually provide 24 volts. Depending on the total load and transformer tap selected, they can provide as much as 29 or 30 volts. This can compensate somewhat for long cable runs.

Low end cameras and equipment sometimes have less electrical efficiency than higher end cameras that are often engineered to be more efficient. I'm not sure what type of equipment you are using, but you may have a camera that is not very efficient and the wasted energy is dispersed in the form of excess heat around the camera housing. If the camera is still within its operating range, you might have to live with the extra heat.