sue

Geovision

Hi everyone, long time no post. It's been about 3 years now, and I have some experience under my belt with all different kinds of cameras, and I've used a couple of PC based DVR cards, but still not a Geovision. I'm getting ready to try one now. It appears that Geovision cards will not work in AMD based systems, is that correct? Also, I've learned that my company uses a proxy server that allows only http traffic to pass. Therefore, I am not able to remotely see mpg4 video over TCP/IP, only motion jpg over http. I do have a system that does that, but it will only record at 320X240, and it has a bug that makes the webserver hang if I view it remotely for too long. They don't seem to interested in fixing the problem, as they say I'm the only one that uses that option, no one else is complaining. Although I can put this card in almost any wimpy little system, and it will run with no complaints 24/7. I currently have one installed in a system with an ASUS A7M266 and an AMD XP2100 Palomino and 512 mb of ram.

Having said that, I'm ready to try a Geovision card, probably the 650, but I don't have any Intel based computers in this house. It appears that I'm going to need one, right? Has anyone tried AMD? Also, I found a Geovision demo page the other day that would allow me to see motion jpg from work. So I guess I'm okay there?

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Yes, I did find that after I posted. Thanks very much! I'm going to try the Geovision in a really wimpy old system that someone gifted me.

Sue

I dont recommend it, but I have a GV-800 running on an Nvidia AMD Athlon XP 2400 motherboard.

intel/via (northbridge/southbridge) boards can cause trouble with audio or graphics.

Always use Intel/Intel.

I've used 600's on some very slow systems and they always seem to work including a few AMD systems, so you should be fine.

I actually ran a GV600 card about 4 years ago in my old house on a Celeron 433 and it worked fine for over a year. We had a full fledged break in where all of my tools, home theater and even clothes were stolen and it was all caught on video and they guys actually served Jail time because of the video. I might have to post that video some day. It's been a great sales tool for me, and you should have seen the insurance adjusters face when he came over and saw the video. No questions after that, he actually wrote me a check that day for my tools.

I would not suggest using Geo on a Via Chipset, at least not for a client. The GV250 is a generic card which I have found to work fine, but its still a 50-50 chance.

It's the Northbridge thats the problem (PCI bus controller on the motherboard). What you have found is there is no AMD motherboard with an Intel northbridge. This is basically a Via problem but nobody has the industry support Intel does for high bandwidth PCI devices.

Thank you for your input. I would love to see the video of the break-in! Please post it and let us know.

I will try the 600 with the hardware I have. It won't cost me anything to try. Will report back.

Now, is this a real Geovision card?

[edit by mod-store link removed, rk]

it looks legit, at least the price is normal retail. I would still look at one of the advertisers above though just to be sure.

ps. had to remove the link per the forum rules, sorry

Partners list on the left (excluding my site as I dont sell), and banner ads at the top. At least a couple of them carry GeoVision.

Rory