ray888

cctv problem help please

hi, i wonder if any experts here can advice me what is wrong with this IR cctv camera that i recently bought.

it's has this huge dark double black line not flickering but moving either up or down, this happens when it's in the night ie. when the IR led's are on.in the day time there is still this double lines moving around. by judgin the pics i attached here i hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Rayne

DSC00231.JPG.bd19d08156ca66a69fbbdacf8f0ac8cb.JPG

DSC00240.JPG.68ea59cf55e6b3e477651b52bd61571e.JPG

- check.....

- cables and install path. 1 ft. from AC lines. what type of camle?

- connectors and replace them

- ground loop? detach the camera from the mounting surface, isolate from any metal, verify video signal

- move camera to DVR and tes......good?

- power supply? what type?

Here is an article about camera problems.

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=42

Here is a thread on ground loop problems.

http://www.cctvforum.com/about8494.html

I believe you have a ground loop problem. Here is a quick way to test for one of many causes of Ground Loop (GL). Remove the camera from the mount. If you have to isolate it from the wall use some cardboard, or some material that will not conduct electricity. Go, and look at your monitor. Did the black lines go away? I am guessing that they have.

You will have to use plastic bolts, washers, and nuts to isolate the camera from what you have it mounted to.

If the black lines are still there then you will have to try a variety of things.

If it is possible to get another cable, and hook it up to your DVR, and just run it along the ground to your camera. Hook it up to your camera, and go look at your monitor to see if the bands have gone away. They should have. This may mean you will have to replace the cable. If you are lucky you may only have to replace the connectors, (assuming these are crimp, twist on, or compression style connectors).

Do you still have the bands? Oh Boy! You have got some really serious issues. I would swap one camera with another, and see if the bands follow to another channel of the DVR. If the bands went away, but went to another channel then the camera is bad.

It is possible that the power supply is bad, and is injecting this "black band" on to your camera, or cameras. Try substituting this power supply.

Let us know how the tests came out!

the camera is about a meter cable with BNC plug, with an BNC to RCA adapter i connect it directly to the tv to test it.

it's not ground loop since i've tested it. the power input said on the camera spec is 12V 500ma.

i test the power by using the 3v-12v power adapter and set at 12v.

i decrease the voltage to 9v and the black line gets smaller by a lot!. i set the voltage lower to 7v and the line is gone!.

so wut's really the problem? the working voltage should be 7v and not 12v? will it not be enough power to power on the IR leds? by the way this only happens at night ie. when the IR leds lights.

in the day the camera is fine with 12v.. since that sorts the problem i'll need to get a 7 or 9volt output adapter.

it's all thanks to VST_Man and scorpion, you two are real pro!

I think that you have a bad camera. The camera works fine. At night the photo cell activates the LEDs, and your problems start. I cannot guess as to what is going on.

I am guessing, but I think you said that you took the camera down, and you hooked it up directly to your DVR, and you still see this black bar going down the TV screen.

If this is the case then yes, you have isolated the problem to the camera.

I would send it back. I hope this still has a warranty, or the company backs it up!

Looks like you did a good job trouble shooting! I am impressed! I find it difficult trying to explain to people how to go about doing what you did!

You should invest some money, and start a multimillion dollar company installing CCTV!

What would be really nice is that the problem is in the bnc to rca adapter!

I have seen this before!

Looks like AC hum to me! Are you using a 12 volt regulated supply? Most universal adaptors are un-regulated and at the 12 volt setting will put out as much as 21 volts unloaded and are poorly filtered. The inexpensive adjustable units will not work well with most cameras.

I hope this helps...

First:

Power and cable problem, cause you said use 3V-12V, this IR camera must be 12B, can not worked with low voltage; Current, you said when day working is no problem, that time LED doesn't work, so looks OK, but when night, current has increase to 500mA, may be more, so if your power supply can not support more current, that will be happen.

Also, if you cable haven't shield, or cable is too close to AC 110V power, that will have this problem too.

Second:

Camera cable problem, some manufacturer used cable without shield to save cost, so will be have same problem if camera too close to AC 110V power.

I’m not a pro in the cctv business. Nevertheless, I just want to say that I had a very similar experience when I began playing with cameras and DVR’s. In the day time the lines traveling up the screen were faint. At night the lines would get very dark yet, not as dark as those in the sample picture. In my hast to get everything going I, used RG 59 for CATV. When I changed, the cable to RG 59 solid copper core and 95 per cent braded shield, the problem went away. It sounds like a cable problem to me.

Looks like AC hum to me! Are you using a 12 volt regulated supply? Most universal adaptors are un-regulated and at the 12 volt setting will put out as much as 21 volts unloaded and are poorly filtered. The inexpensive adjustable units will not work well with most cameras.

I hope this helps...

yes it definitely looks like a crappy power supply problem.

you can see the lines in either day or night photo, in the day photo they are just white lines. nonetheless, the ac leakage is still present in both.

get a better power supply !

try plugging the supply into a UPS and see if it gets cleaned up.

you could also try putting a filter cap across the DC.

I was wondering what kind of camera is it? If it has infrared lights depending on the camera some of them require a 1amp power supply. I have customers that call me all the time wanting to know what that is. Usually if the camera is powerful and has a good amount of leds like 32 and a 1/3 Super HAD CCD sensor it will usually require a 1amp power supply. But usually when that happens the picture is really fuzzy, like a snowy image.

Secondly, depending on the sheilding of the cable or how it was ran on install it might just be electromagnetic interferance some where near another cable or power source. Also that issue may also be near the monitor. Check to see if the monitor is not the issue too. I had a customer who had this issue and the problem was the monitor was sitting on top of his PC DVR, move the monitor away from other equipment if you can and see what that does.

Are you using a good gage on the cable too? RG59 or RG6. If soo on install did you keep the frayed wires away from the main copper cord? That may help too.

Last, the CCD image sensor is bad. If soo time to return camera to supplier or manufacture and get a new one.

Hope this helps you abit.

-chad-

If it's only a problem at night... Is there a mains power wire running near it that powers a light that you only turn on at night?? That might explain the lines appearing only at night if it's a line noise issue.

Yea that is what I was thinking, I mean depending on the sheild of the cable and gauage of the cable it is interference. There has to be a power source or some interuption. In the tech world I find that many problems are very small most of the time. But scruit is right, check to make sure that there is no uv light it is sitting on or power cable that is near by.

-chad b-

Also check if the power is sharing a circuit with a wall dimmer switch (slide dimmers can be problematic more than the push button staged dimmers) When not in use the faint lines will be present and then at night when you energize the dimmer it can cause more prenounced distortion. Look for a source of induced voltage on your line or as stated could be a faulty cam.

yes it's definitely the power supply, had it changed and the lines were all gone!. the camera i was talking about has IR leds 24.

there is another problem im having. can anyone fix camera's if they are damage or burnt?

there is another black bullet camera no Ir led got burnt the other day due to wiring problem.

i had it opened and can smell its burnt. just thought i'd post the pictures for you all to see and if anyone know or any idea to fix it.(by the smell i think it's from the black round coil of wires inside that box in the pic.(are they the coil or resistors or fuse?)

i bought it from maplins and been using it for over 3 years, it was an expensive one when bought 3 years ago, think it was around £70.

DSC00254.JPG.dfce481254e90bf8cc25b2bd9be6dfaf.JPG

back.JPG.1f1fa370a8c098828f5f7e5f5b68b28c.JPG

front.JPG.859318b3d0b98a667099d1e96a830e46.JPG

For the cost of labour to fix it, would be better to buy a new one. Unless they have the detailed engineering specs on the camera though doubt they will be able to fix it anyway.

Typically the power section will be shot, if thats a single board, then thats even worse.

I hope this helps...

Wow, thank you!

Having just bought some cameras and cheap PSU's, I was having flicker and line issues of all sorts. If i used shorter cable, it slightly made it better.

I had no idea it would be a power issue. I have just tried a better quality PSU thats used in my VPN router and all lines are gone !

the device you circled looks like the inductor that would run the PWM to the

IR LEDS costs a $1 but would cost $50 to $100 in labor to fix.

And finding someone who knows cameras even harder.

z

I would try a regulated power supply 12vdc at 1 amp, I have seen this when testing cameras and not supplying enough amperage.