I'm looking add one or two IP cameras to supplement my existing cctv system. These would be for covering larger fields of view and allow me to zoom in for more detail as needed. The existing system handles all the alerts and such, so I don't need any software like Luxriot or milestone. I just need to be able to view high res images when I see something interesting on the existing system.

I'm thinking that having something like the 3130M send to a NAS would be the easiest (and cheapest) solution. I can setup an isolated wired network for the IP camera(s) data.

Does anyone have a setup like this? I'm looking at the NetGear ReadyNAS setups.

for direct camera to storage, I have only used FTP. so you have to have an FTP service running on the receiving end.

as for the hi res cams, the data rate can get up pretty high 56M. so a few of these at the max frame rate and res can pretty much saturate your 100M network. Best to have a Gigabit network if you can, or isolate on a different subnet.

for direct camera to storage, I have only used FTP. so you have to have an FTP service running on the receiving end.

as for the hi res cams, the data rate can get up pretty high 56M. so a few of these at the max frame rate and res can pretty much saturate your 100M network. Best to have a Gigabit network if you can, or isolate on a different subnet.

Thanks. I'll have a separate network for this data stream. I'm probably looking at 2 cameras, so I think I'll be OK.

oh man a gigabit network is a must. You may get by for now but just think you are leaving yourself for NO room. Think about 2 years down the road when some new technology for whatever comes down the road and you need more bandwith. Just go ahead and put the gigabit switch in now. its not that much more expesive

oh man a gigabit network is a must. You may get by for now but just think you are leaving yourself for NO room. Think about 2 years down the road when some new technology for whatever comes down the road and you need more bandwith. Just go ahead and put the gigabit switch in now. its not that much more expesive

Thanks. I'm an IT geek, so I have the network part covered. My real question was the ability of the Areconts to write to a NAS via HTTP or ftp. Sounds like that will work. My other camera option looks like IDEyes.

Hmm, I've recently purchased a 3130 and am looking at the various ways I could deploy it. I'm no expert by any means but as far as I can see it's passive in the sense that an intermediate program needs to request the data from the camera and issue it to the NAS. The camera cannot be programmed to do this on its own. I've configured WebcamXP for example to accept streaming frames off the camera and upload images over FTP at a set interval.

If you need the manual, just shout. Let us know how you resolve this.

Hmm, I've recently purchased a 3130 and am looking at the various ways I could deploy it. I'm no expert by any means but as far as I can see it's passive in the sense that an intermediate program needs to request the data from the camera and issue it to the NAS. The camera cannot be programmed to do this on its own. I've configured WebcamXP for example to accept streaming frames off the camera and upload images over FTP at a set interval.

If you need the manual, just shout. Let us know how you resolve this.

Thanks, this is very helpful. The budget says my project is on hold for now.

Video Insight IP Server can record the 3130 at native resolution. Works dang good. Also records Axis 207MW at native..........I'm running (2) 207MW's, a 3130, a Pixord 2000, a DCS5300W, and my Office network on one Embarq link. I do see a lag with all cameras logged in but it's not bad.

I think that the overall IP camera technology will improve in terms of smarter motion technology that ONLY send video when the pic changes. Yes, MPEG4 only transmits pixel changes BUT there is a gap in the motion detection software..........needs to be smarter in terms of recognition of objects, rain, clouds, spider webs, cars, people, ect. Just think, motion detection software that thinks about the motion and then determines the type of motion before it transmits/records that data.

I see a single C2D with video processing per camera on a single CPU platform one day.

It's all happening, you will see the first breakthroughs in 3-6 months at a guess, keep an eye on the Avigilon range of multimegapixel CCD cameras.

At the moment there are 2 things restricting Video anlytics on Megapixel cameras.

1. First Analytics has mostly been confined to analogue cameras to date because of the sheer amount of processing involved. most analytics are processing about 350,000 pixels 7-30 times per second so to process even a 4MP camera would take 10 times the pocessing power. Avigilon are developing hardware analytics within their cameras so even the 16MP will have some analytics

2. Many analytics rely on a good update rate mostly a minimum of 7 IPS. Many megapixl cameras are restricted on capture rate, again by bandwidth and processing power. One way around this is to offer different levels of analytics with different megapixel offerings for instance the 4MPO cameras should allow full functionality such as object tracking, confirmed VMD and the bigger 11MP and 16 MP cameras will have integrated analytics but restrcted to functions such as left baggage detection, no parking detection and museum detection as these functions do not require the update rate.

Taking the what might happen in the future train of thought, think we are less than 5 years away from seeing the first solid state (megapixel) cameras with 1TB integrated flash memory.

=

Taking the what might happen in the future train of thought, think we are less than 5 years away from seeing the first solid state (megapixel) cameras with 1TB integrated flash memory.

thats the key robin, when you can drop deploy camera systems. this is where mobotix is excellent (if only better image size and quality) for this as the network software and storage options are excellent

Almost all of the IP Megapixel cameras manufactrured today for the CCTV industry use the same sensors manufactured by Micron. Dr. Kaplinsky the CEO of Arecont, has several inventions some of which were licensed by Micron sensors. The 1/2 inch Micron ip sensors have many features that are useful for designing ip cctv cameras, but one of the weak points is the poor Quantum Efficiency for visual (400-790nm) and Near IR (800-1200nm).

Getting back to the AR 3130. The 3130 is actually two separate cameras in one box. It includes the 1300M and the 3100 M. But these cameras have different features. The 3100 sensor has only 0.3 Lux visible, and the 1300M has 0.1 Lux visible. They removed the Hot Mirror from the 1300M, so it runs straight through. So if you want BOTH low light and IR sensitivity for a 1.2 MP camera, just remove the IR filter of the 1300M. The color is not accurate in the day, OUTSIDE, but it works great at night. This is about 1/2 the cost of the 3130 and you only need one lens not two. Actually I prefer removing the HOT Mirror on the 2100M, since it has the same Visible ligjht sensitivity as the 2100 and replace the mirror with one that transmits both visible (450-750nm) and NIR (860-930nm). This combination produces excellent color indoors, and outside daylight colors are HOTTER on the pink side. But at night, with a little IR illumination from 840 all the way to 950nm yoiu can get excellent results as long as you know what you are doing wi5tht he pahses relationships and wavelength relationships at NIR.

Why use the AR 3130, when you can use two AR 2100M's at less cost? You will have useable IR sensitive cameras at two POV's at the same cost as one camera. Also they are equivalent to 4.2 MP Day and Night instead of 1.3 day and 3.1 night. Also the best bang for the buck for daytime is the AR 5100M AI. If you look carefully at how the images are created by the cameras there is only a small difference in USEABLE image between the 2100M and the 3100M, plus the 3100 M is 1/2 as sensitive at VIS. Look at the specs. I think its mostly marketing hype. If you want BIG images, go with the 5100. If you want day and night, modify the 2100 and you have it. I haven't yet tried the 1305,2105,5105 D/N versions but will soon. I understand they don't support AI lenses and don't know why. If you run them at "prefer motion" during the day an AI lens works better. If you have them "wide open" wth no filter in a dark area, what happens when a light from a headlight high beam hits the lens? when a perp is on the frame? You won't capture the image, because of the BLOOMING or white out. Its always a compromise. I am thinking of evaluating some of the new Arecint D/N's in this situation. If I need AI, I will just use my own modification for the AI I aleready have it "good to go". If the PCB traces are still on the board from the old xxxxM ai version I am good to go.

I also modified the camera housing to make it look REALLY distinct. I made castings of the existing bodies (they are all the same) and filled in the notched liners on the sides. I cast new Aluminum housings and hit them with Plastic Media Blast- PMB. After I cleaned them up, I polished them up and anodized them in different decorative colors. Some are shiny some are subdued. They don't have the "cheapo" look anymore. I left the front and back plates on with the Arecont logos. Yes I have "chrome" looking ip MP cameras in colors including red, green blue, purple and black. Very kewl. I use silcon clear sealant inside and pop a few packets of Silica gel inside first to keep the REL HUM down. YOU NEVER WANT THESE TO GO UNDER WATER. The same is true for most IP MP cameras EXCEPT for tthe MOBOTIX. They glue in their lenses and they are pretty well sealed for air pressure changes and water vapor.

I make my own enclosures from steel tubing and pressurize them using a stem valve, so no water gets inside. I use optical flats with appropriate coatings for housing windows. They are powder coated and are VANDAL resistant. Instead of 1/4 bolts I use 1/4 20 SS bolts with a SS framed N50 magnet 2 inches in Diameter. The fixture is on an SS knuckle. The magnet can hold 150#, and has rubber coating. Once in place, you can't remove it. Just use the coupler o the knuckle to change lenses or camera. Forget the magnet, it won't budge. They are cheap enough, so you dont need to drill holes or waste time on the camera install. It also looks very clean and does not damage any customer property.