sbbamafan

CCTV Customers want Access Control

We have been doing CCTV for about 3 years now and have managed to avoid access control, but too many opportunities are knocking and I fear it will hurt our buinsess in the long run if we continue to tell our customers that we can only provide them one service. I was a GC for about 20 years prior to my CCTV life so I have a slight knowledge as to the components of a properly installed access control system. I have the opportunity to quote a simple (small area) 7 door system at this juncture and need some help. I am quite familiar with maglocks, electric strikes, card readers etc. My real shortfall is the 'brain' behind the system. What specifically am I looking for in this department. Who makes a relatively simple and somewhat bullet-proof system? What should this cost. Can you suggest any publications to read or sites to visit for more information. I am here because I dont want to profess my ignorance to my regular suppliers. I appreciate your help.

The company I used to work for used Millenium brand for access control.

Basic computer and networking knowledge made the system seem pretty simple to me.

Each site had a site controller which had all the data (codes, doors, etc)programmed into it. And as you know already, each door had a door control device (DCD) which linked the card reader / prox reader and strike, and or handicap button, etc.

This is the system we use galaxysys they also offer a 1 week free factory training class and it is a very good school been there done that you need to know computer use basic networking . The system setups easy and is very flexable.

i totally agree i just finished there class in maryland and evertything is pretty straight foward. they also have a dvr that can integrate with their access sys. for something cheap i might look at passpoint.

You have tons of options here, and the best part is not yet being affiliated with anyone.

I personally am a Keyscan fan (keyscan.ca).

Fantastic product; integrated completely, and is very easy for the end user.

I'm happy to hear you've decided to add to your offering. You're only missing out by not suppling access control.

Hey sbb:

Check out some of the Kantech products. They are a Canadian company and I have used quite a bit of they're gear. Its rock solid and dependable. As far as cost.......depends what else you have been looking into. Hope this helps and good luck m8.

I hate kantech. A good solution would be Keri or Linear. Linear has a great reputation and a really solid product. The only downside of Linear in my eyes is weak tech support at times. Keri is really good product and super tech support but the dowside of Keri is installs can get expensive they way that the product is designed however I heard they just released a new line to solve this problem. They will even offer tech support to end users which can be really helpful when your customer calls with a million and one questions. I have worked with DMP, northern, safelok, ademco and many others.

I hate kantech. A good solution would be Keri or Linear. Linear has a great reputation and a really solid product. The only downside of Linear in my eyes is weak tech support at times. Keri is really good product and super tech support but the dowside of Keri is installs can get expensive they way that the product is designed however I heard they just released a new line to solve this problem. They will even offer tech support to end users which can be really helpful when your customer calls with a million and one questions. I have worked with DMP, northern, safelok, ademco and many others.

I have also used both Keri and Linear with very good luck. Both have had good product support in the past but now Keri will not let me download the software (Keri Doors) for my own system. I gave them a call and they told me I needed to be a dealer or I should contact a dealer. So it looks like I will be moving to another brand in the future.

in which part of the world u belongs to?? depending on that you have to check the product availablity...

In india i used Keri, bosch , card-ax, pegasus , HID , Honeywell & several other local manufactured products.... personally i fill card-ax is the very consistant product and eazy to installed...but should be desinged properly since it's a licence based system..

Honeywell products must be available in your area you can go with them also...

Bosch is very expensive and not soutable for such small installtion...

regards,

Kalpesh nikumbh

India

www.brivo.com is hands down the quickest installation, easiest to use for the end user, and awesome hosting services. We've been using Brivo for awhile and its great. Homeland Security, Government, Educational, Industrial.....everybody uses it.

Having experiance with about 10 different access control systems over the last 12 years I would say my humble opinion is to go with a really simple system like Keri or Keyscan. Or go with a system that is able to grow like Software House. It really depends on your customers needs. Do yourself a favor. Check out several different systems. You need to be a dealer for Software house.

Edit: I almost forgot about S2...Duh. It is a really cool web based system that works very well. No server needed. It's all in the panels. (Apparently one of the key people from software house previously, is involved heavily with S2)

It seems you'll have as many opinons as you have replies What CCTV manufacturers do you use? Some do not integrate with certain access control sysems. It might be a good idea to find out who your CCTV equipment can link with. It will give you an idea which companies to scout. You may not be thinking full fledged integration right now, but for the future...

i am working in this field about 1 year

i can help you with more than one system if you have any question

my big experince in GE Systems.