Arthurj

Dedicated Micros DS2 Hard drive replacement

I have a DS2 with a totally dead hd. Is there a way I can install software onto a new hard drive. I beleive it can be done.

Thank's

That worked great. The only problem I had was trying to get the IP address of the unit. I got it, by trial and error, by pinging from Windows. If there's an easier way, please let me know.

Many thank's for all your help

hi arthurj, I also have a DS2 with a dead hard drive and it gets stuck on the "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk" screen.

As this was given to me like this I also don't know the ip adress, assuming it has got one!

My question is how did you find your ip from windows? Could you please explain how you did it?

Thanks in advance

Hello tj9at_jp

I connected the PC and the DS2 with a crossover network cable and used the windows PING command. I started at 192.168.001 then 192.168.001.002 and so on . Took a long time and I got lucky. Theres a simpler way if you can connect the drive directly to your PC.

You will need a new hard drive(s) and a small bit of PC know how. If you want I'll talk you through it by PM.

As a matter of interest you can put any size drives into the DS2, up to 2TB. I put 2 400GB drives into the one I have giving me 800 GB. Got them in Maplin for E180 for the two. The software is free from the DM site. Theres a lot of rubbish talked about DM drive size and type ect. Any normal HD will work perfectly.

Make sure that you also replace both the 5V fans inside the DM unit as this is the main course of the hard drive failure (bad ventilation)

All drives are currently PATA and DM are currently using Hitachi drives, also check the 5v rail to ensure the voltage isn't to low when all drive are connected (on load)

Send me a PM and I will tell you what type of format you will need to set the drive for

That sounds like very good advice.

The file system for the DS2 is FAT32. Problem's arise because people think that FAT32 has a 160GB limit. That's not the case. It's Windows that has the FAT32/160GB limit. A lot of people fit small drives to the DS2 based on that misunderstanding. Hence the need for a slightly different approach.

I have a similer problem but with a ds4. I can connect drive to pc and format it and the ds4 loads into bootloader but as I don't know the ip I cannot go any further. When you say connect hdd to pc do you install software to hdd ??

Regards

Hello tj9at_jp

I connected the PC and the DS2 with a crossover network cable and used the windows PING command. I started at 192.168.001 then 192.168.001.002 and so on . Took a long time and I got lucky. Theres a simpler way if you can connect the drive directly to your PC.

You will need a new hard drive(s) and a small bit of PC know how. If you want I'll talk you through it by PM.

As a matter of interest you can put any size drives into the DS2, up to 2TB. I put 2 400GB drives into the one I have giving me 800 GB. Got them in Maplin for E180 for the two. The software is free from the DM site. Theres a lot of rubbish talked about DM drive size and type ect. Any normal HD will work perfectly.

Mark

Yes. Format the drive on your PC. Unzip the downloaded software to a folder, copy the contents of the folder to the drive. Remove the drive from the PC and install in the unit. Boot the unit and the software will be installed automatically.

Thankyou I will try that in a bit.

Just to clarify when I extract the file I downloaded I have another zipped file within it called disc. Is this the one I need to unzip and copy to drive or the whole lot.

Thanks again for your help

Mark

Yes. Format the drive on your PC. Unzip the downloaded software to a folder, copy the contents of the folder to the drive. Remove the drive from the PC and install in the unit. Boot the unit and the software will be installed automatically.

Mark

The way I did it on a DS2 was as follows.

Unzip downloaded file which contains "bin folder" "bootload folder" "disk.zip" "readme.txt" "Ftp.exe. Ignore the last two.

Copy the contents of the bin, bootload and zip to the same dir. You will end up with the boot, bin and zip folders plus a lot of files. The original three folders remain intact. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure if you really need to copy the contents of the folders. Maybe just use the three folders.

To be clear. You put the three folders plus a copy of the files they contain on your drive.

Hi Arthurj

Thanks for the tips, after running several scans on the master hard drive (connected to my pc), I figured out that the partition table was corrupted. I tried several software utilities to restore the drive and all said that they had failed but when I tried it back on the DS2 it booted up fine.

Now its the slave drive that shows a R/W error on the DS2 drive tests however it still shows 300gb of storage.

I have formated it to fat32 and intalled it back and it said it was preparing the drive for image storage and seems to fine but the next time I boot up, it shows drive C ok but an error in drive D.

I have also tried to format the slave drive and install the software by both methods mentioned here but none seem to work. I have got the ip address but when I connect the ethernet cable tha light doesn't come on so maybe there's a fault with the ethernet connection on the DS2.

The other method of unzipping the files to a freshly formatted (fat32) slave drive also didn't work it just shows "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk".

At the moment I daren't try to re-install on the master drive as I'm scared it won't word and then I can't get it to work again.

Will probably try to find a cheap maxtor to see if I can install the software to that.

Could you just confirm that when you connect the ethernet cable to the DS2 it lights up at both ends.

Thanks John

Thanks Arthurj

I copied the files over and it auto unzipped anyway.

Works a treat thanks.

Mark

Glad that worked out for you

Hi Arthurj

Thanks for the tips, after running several scans on the master hard drive (connected to my pc), I figured out that the partition table was corrupted. I tried several software utilities to restore the drive and all said that they had failed but when I tried it back on the DS2 it booted up fine.

Now its the slave drive that shows a R/W error on the DS2 drive tests however it still shows 300gb of storage.

I have formated it to fat32 and intalled it back and it said it was preparing the drive for image storage and seems to fine but the next time I boot up, it shows drive C ok but an error in drive D.

I have also tried to format the slave drive and install the software by both methods mentioned here but none seem to work. I have got the ip address but when I connect the ethernet cable tha light doesn't come on so maybe there's a fault with the ethernet connection on the DS2.

The other method of unzipping the files to a freshly formatted (fat32) slave drive also didn't work it just shows "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk".

At the moment I daren't try to re-install on the master drive as I'm scared it won't word and then I can't get it to work again.

Will probably try to find a cheap maxtor to see if I can install the software to that.

Could you just confirm that when you connect the ethernet cable to the DS2 it lights up at both ends.

Thanks John

John

I have very limited experence of the DS2.

Yes I think you should have a light come on when you connect an ethernet cable.

Did both drives work together before.

I can only guess that the slave drive is not formatted correctly,is faulty or the unit itself is faulty. Also check the master\slave settings.

What size is the slave drive and how exactly did you format it (that's important). You cannot format a large Fat32 drive with Windoze 2000\XP. You will need a third party utily.

Just joined today and this thread has saved my life, thanks to all especially Arthurj, what you wrote worked a treat cheers

Hi

Can anybody help me.

I have a DS2 with 2 hard drive failed and it gets stuck on the "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk" screen.

Can anyone help me on how to resolve this issue. I do have the DM DVTU software, but when i try and link it with the Serial com cable and Crossover cable via my pc, it wont communicate. I went on a DM course for DH and i did it perfectly well there, and it worked, but i dont know what i am doing wrong now.

I connected the Serial cable on COM1 and Cat5 in the NET of the dvr, but when i open the hyperterminal icon, and press ESC 6 times to communicate, it wont work.

Please advise