d-tech

Megapixel IP cam - bad frame rate?

hi guys,

new to the forum(from South Africa). looking forward to dispensing some advice as well as recieving it

What is your experience with running megapixel IPcams on Software/NVR's or Hybrid machines? We mainly use avermedia but have never had an IP cam run at realtime through the system (axis 206/207/207MW/210/211) Even when turning the res down to 320x240.

Is there any software or NVR/DVR that can handle a megapixel cam at full res in realtime? or are we simply not at that stage in technology?

Thanks

Avigilon can do 1.4MP and 2MP at 25IPS and 4MP at 15IPS all with lossless compression (multiple cameras per server if required)

Is there a specific target you are trying to achieve?

Hi ZMX

Yes we use GB PoE switches. We are in the process of releasing a further lossles compression algorithm whih will reduce the bandwidth enough to use 100BaseT and wireless networks.

Utilisation is anybody who is prepared o pay a premium or exceptional quality so Airpots, Ports, Police, Town Centre, Car Parks, stadiums, etc

ATB

Robin

what do you mean by real-time ?

I saw the SharpView system from J2K Video Limited and they have recordings on their web-site. These look pretty real time to me and are massive resolution.

They showed me a 1.3Megapixel camera and recorded it at 16 frames per second - it look really smooth and they exported it to avi so I can look at it in WMP.

Real time is 30 fps, though 20fps can seem real time to the human eye. So 15fps does not look bad at all. Time as you add several of those MP cameras I doubt you will be getting 16fps then though, at least with a regular switch; gigabyte dedicated network may help.

1 Work out the real Mb/s rate from the encoder.

2 Add up all the broadcast and multicast traffic on the network

3 Find out what your backplane band width rate of your switches are

4 Make sure all your protocols are correct UTP not TCP etc

5 Find what Qos is setup on the network

6 Look for any bottle necks in your network. (large amounts of data backed up can flood a switch regardless of backplane speed)

7 Check the resources on the client machine.

Real time

Encoding overhead = E

Network latency =N

Client overhead =C

Operator reaction time =O

E+N+C / E +N +C + O = System Latency to Operator reaction ratio

In other words can the operator react in a reasonable time.

Ping your encoder and that will give you the network latency

Any traffic placed though a QoS Jitter buffer will further increase network latency.