squale

I need a day night camera that can see about 100ft at night?

right now I have bullet color day/night cameras mounted under my roof overhang on the outside of my house to keep eye on my property. My bullet cameras DO NOT have IR beams on them at all. I was wondering what's a good camera that can see out about 100ft at night? I'm assuming I need IR beams built into the camera for this purpose... and is something like this a ridiculous amount of money?

Thanks

Does this work?

Color High Resolution 5-50mm 280’ IR Security Camera

• 480 Lines of Resolution Sony Super HAD CCD

• 280 Foot Night-Time IR Range

• 14 Long Range IR LED's & 21 Wide Angle IR

• Built-In Electronic Photo-Cell

• Tough IP-67 Rated Aluminum Housing

• 5-50mm Varifocal Lens

This unit has an adjustable back light compensation and automatic white balance for a sharp picture without haze. The dimensions are 5â€

For something decent, it will be a somewhat ridiculous amount of money (eg. EX82), but if you want to do it on the cheap, then you can, but remember you get what you pay for.

btw.. right now I am running 3 of these cameras...

Speco CVC-637EX/W Color Bullet Camera with Built-in 3.6mm Lens

how do you think these cameras are? These have been running non-stop for about 3 years now and I live in NJ.. so the weather goes anywhere from 0 degrees or less in the winter and up to and over 100 degrees in the summer. They have been fine with the exception of bad bnc connectors. Now this one camera is just giving me a big problem with the display.

I just was wondering is Speco makes some of the best cameras out there?

had to take link out due to retail store ... but I think everyone knows that camera by now ..

Yes they use to be good, I used it when it was actually an Exview bullet, was great, then they suddenly switched and it was no longer Exview. Speco replied to my email saying they had decided to change it to non Exview, simple as that. Stopped buying it after that, due to the cost it was not worth it when I had a $50 bullet outperforming it even at night.

No, they make no cameras, they are an OEM company meaning they buy from manufacturers in Asia who sell the units to their specs. They use to have a really good selection of Bullets, but others have long since taken over that area; now a company with a good selection of bullet cameras, is a dime a dozen.

This is just a personal experience so take it as you will.

Rory

Edited by Guest

You said the Speco CVC-637EX/W do not work without lighting, and that you have no video when it is dark?

If they have been running for three years, and still going then I would say the quality is good. Having the right camera in the right environment makes a big difference!

For the price these cameras are great, but for the job i do not think they cut the mustard. It must be real difficult during the winter time when it get dark real early in the day.

well I bought my 3 cameras from Spytown back in Feb. 2005.... were they EX View back then? when did they switch the technology in these cameras?

mine can see SOME stuff in dark, but it still needs some ambient light... here is one of the GOOD cameras at night... not very great... and htis is with a simple dim garage light on above the garage doors..

pic6.jpg

here is another one of the BAD camera during the day... looks pretty good in this shot.. maybe a little darker than usual.. the image just keeps changing all day long... something is not right with this camera...

pic7.jpg

Rory, I would say that you are very close on when Speco switched from ExView to whatever they use now. I bought some CVC637EX cameras at the very end of 2002 with ExView. In late 2004 and early 2005, I bought a couple more. When I got the cameras, they had changed it from a 6 mm lens to a 3.6 mm lens. At first, I thought it was just the lens causing the problem. But, when I called Speco about it they said they had just completely updated the camera. So, I exchanged the 637’s for some CVC6800’s with 6 mm Len’s. To cut a long story short, the image was clearer with less noise, but, less light sensitive.

If I can get a minute within the next day or so, I will post some pics showing the difference between the newer cameras and the older ExView. I must add that I have never had any problem with the cameras considering how old some of them are. All I’ve noticed is what looks to be some fading from the 2002 637’s. I still have some CVC870’s purchased in mid 2002 that are still going too.

right now I have bullet color day/night cameras mounted under my roof overhang on the outside of my house to keep eye on my property. My bullet cameras DO NOT have IR beams on them at all. I was wondering what's a good camera that can see out about 100ft at night? I'm assuming I need IR beams built into the camera for this purpose... and is something like this a ridiculous amount of money?

100ft is about 30m right? 5-50mm varifocal seems like overkill maybe...

Doesn't look like there is any lighting at all along that driveway? Is it complete darkness?

These are examples of the early and later model CVC 637EX as mentioned above.

65827_1.jpg

Purchased in early 2003 with ExView.

65827_2.jpg

Purchased in late 2004 without ExView. I see this pic with less noise and less light sensitivity.

yup all darkness along the driveway. just a little garage light that stays dimmly lit.

Not sure where your location is but this sort of unit should do the trick (there are some screenshots to give you an idea of image quality & what the 12mm lens would give you :

[edit by mod-store link removed]

(supplier is UK based)

Good luck.

I've used Seco-Larm Enforcer Day/Night Camera with some success. They see about 80' in the dark. The only problem with IR is you it has to hit a target to reflect back to the camera. Depends on the location, lighting, lens and distance you can get a washed out look on your camera at night.

I tried a new camera Speco Technologies HT-7246IHR color intensifier camera. It does not have IR but uses electronics to enhance the visible light. These things are great, makes it look like daylight. First time I used one I passed the monitor about 9:00 PM and thought the camera picture had somehow frozen during the day is was so bright. That was until I saw the dog get up and walk across the yard. I looked out the window and it was dark. I now have two of these replacing IR cameras.

I tried a new camera Speco Technologies HT-7246IHR color intensifier camera. It does not have IR but uses electronics to enhance the visible light. These things are great, makes it look like daylight. First time I used one I passed the monitor about 9:00 PM and thought the camera picture had somehow frozen during the day is was so bright. That was until I saw the dog get up and walk across the yard. I looked out the window and it was dark. I now have two of these replacing IR cameras.

But the video will be slow with this type of camera, using DSS (digital slow shutter). IR is better (once setup properly), but artificial lighting ofcourse is always best. The DSS feature is nice, have a camera here I tested that has it, but I cant take the slow video. BTW on many box cameras you can simply adjust the shutter manually to mimic the same thing.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9946

Like I’ve said before, I’m no expert on this stuff. However, I’ve noticed since complaining about the Speco HT-INT8 Intensifier I have that, different models of the Intensifiers have different image devices. One has a Sony Super HAD, another with a Super HAD Double speed CCD and another with a Sony HQ-1 image device with a customized DSP. I am not familiar with the HQ-1 at all. Maybe you can explain that one Rory. Anyway, I have adjusted the intensification almost to off and the image lag is still unacceptable. What good is all the light if you still can’t make out what’s moving across the screen? All I can say is, I have some true day night cameras and some others with IR that, in my opinion, out perform the Intensifier by a long shot. I do want to add that I’m going to keep on trying adjustments in hopes of finding a better result but, at this point, I don’t think I will.

No need to Explain, they are just names that Speco has given them based on models they asked to be manufactured for them by the OEM manufacturer in Asia.

In most cases you can get OEM manufacturers to make your camera order with either Exview, SuperHad, or other technologies .. just depends what you want to sell the client and put your name on.

Like I mentioned above, I’ve not heard of the HQ-1 image device. Speco claims that the model percy talked about has the HQ-1 image device. I was just hoping the HQ-1 image device would reduce or resolve the lag problem I have with the Speco HT-INT8 so percy would not have the same problem I have.. Buy the way Rory, I understand your reason for being upset with Speco and the many other companies that sell OEM equipment plus, use what I think is deceptive advertising to promote their product.

Still imagine they are using the shutter to do that, only way I can think of, less there is some amazing chip out there, and if there was, it should cost in the Extreme CCTV range or more, and wont be in a bullet camera.

I totally agree with you Rory. I think there is no question that they are using some kind of shutter control? VST-Man describes it well in this post. http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=66511#66511

The bottom line is, some may like it and, some may not. However, like you, I would not recommend that type of technology. Like VST-Man implies, the old way is still the best way. Yet, I would add, at least for now.

The ASC-540WPC72IR- 615 camera will be perfect for the job, it has a 540 line color camera with 500 line B/W at night with 72 IR LED's with external trap door for easy lens adjustment, built-in heater kit and cooling fan, IR rated for 265' comes complete with mounting bracket and the lens is a 6 - 15mm varifocal Manual Iris lens for easy installation. 12VDC/24VAC (dual voltage)

Sony Super HDD CCD 420TVL,49IR leds with zoom lens 3.5-8mm,you can see out more than 120 ft at night.

If possible,480TVL much better.