smpl_gy

Pelco UTP active receivers

I have been having problems with these on every site...(32 channel)

Problems include but are not limited to;

1. Faulty power supplies

2. Loss of PTZ control (coaxitron)

3. Ground loop problems

4. Issues with termination (i'll have to explain this)

If anyone has had any issues with these units, feel free to join this thread. I am relentlessly seeking a solution...I'll post an equipment list for these systems when i get a chance. But every issue that I'm having all roots back to this active receiver...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

The equipment these systems consists of, are as follows:

(2) Pelco 32 channel active receivers

(2) AD 750 gig rack mount Intellex units

(2) Pelco CM6800E 48x8 matrix units linked (96x16)

(1) Pelco KBD 960 keyboard controller....(wired remotely, approx 300 feet)

All cameras are ultradomes, stationary cameras and / or discover mini domes....(All AD)

Protocol being utilized is coaxitron....

Everything in the system is running on Cat5E, the only coax are the patch cables linking the active receiver to the Intellex and linking the Intellex to the matrix units...

If you need more info on system, let me know...

The equipment these systems consists of, are as follows:

(2) Pelco 32 channel active receivers

(2) AD 750 gig rack mount Intellex units

(2) Pelco CM6800E 48x8 matrix units linked (96x16)

(1) Pelco KBD 960 keyboard controller....(wired remotely, approx 300 feet)

All cameras are ultradomes, stationary cameras and / or discover mini domes....(All AD)

Protocol being utilized is coaxitron....

Everything in the system is running on Cat5E, the only coax are the patch cables linking the active receiver to the Intellex and linking the Intellex to the matrix units...

If you need more info on system, let me know...

Seems fairly simple setup... I take it that you had the ultradomes programmed with DIP switches to adhere to Pelco coaxitron... and then take the video return to Intellex...

Looks to me your bottleneck is the Pelco active receives and transmitters. I also take it that you called Pelco and hope that they are responding...

I can not (our should not) make comments about Pelco... never liked them and never will... However, if you have to fix this issue, you have (2) choices... Get them replace and fix these reported problems (and they should immediately) OR - you can replace their active hubs, the receivers and drivers with a different makes and model and then later return the defective unit(s) back to Pelco..

What comes in mind right now are NVT and American Fibertek... Both can easily comply with this application... I personally will go with American Fibertek, as I like their tech support better and besides, the pricing is much lower...

I appreciate the response.

I have already put my money on all these issues being root back to the active receivers...I think Pelco is having growing pains...

The AD PTZ's are addressed to "893" to accept Pelco's coaxitron protocol...The problem is, some sites look mint, with no problems what so ever. However, other sites has lots of hum bars and over amplification of the video signal (the receiver is set to auto mode) just to name a couple....

As I mentioned in the first post, lately, i have been having some issues with termination...This is what I mean: I have the video looped out of the active receiver to the Intellex then looped to the Matrix...Naturally you would think that I would have to unterminate all my Intellex ports in order to loop through to the matrix....Not so, when I unterminate the ports on the Intellex, most of the shots become extremely white washed and almost looks as if there was no proceeding unit (matrix)....I know it's not faulty patch cables, because I can view the shots through the matrix and the images look fine...

Also, these systems are all being installed in the same type of buildings with almost identical infrastructure...The cabling being used is a custom made siamese consisting of Cat5e and 16/2 (power is run home to an Altronix 32 channel rack mount power supply...

Edited by Guest

As I mentioned in the first post, lately, i have been having some issues with termination...This is what I mean: I have the video looped out of the active receiver to the Intellex then looped to the Matrix...Naturally you would think that I would have to unterminate all my Intellex ports in order to loop through to the matrix....Not so, when I unterminate the ports on the Intellex, most of the shots become extremely white washed and almost looks as if there was no proceeding unit (matrix)....I know it's not faulty patch cables, because I can view the shots through the matrix and the images look fine...

When running your main cables through Intellex and then to your Matrix, make sure to assign each port as "Hi Z" through the "Setup" selecting "Cameras" .. Otherwise you will continue seeing exactly what you are expereinceing... The "Hi Z" setting allows to "balance" the video signal once you are looping out of the Intellex to connect the loopling inputs to Matrix system, other recorders, muxes, etc... This should fix your "extremely white washed" video picture...

As for Pelco foul ups, well give them a call and do not be nice They only understand that language anyway...

Yup, I understand exactly what you're saying, What I'm saying is, when I have my matrix connected (looped from Intellex), I always unterminate (hi-Z). However, lately the problem I have been encountering is, when I set the ports to hi-Z, the images on the Intellex becomes extremely white washed as if I did not have a device connected to the looping port...

Weird huh ??

Yup, I understand exactly what you're saying, What I'm saying is, when I have my matrix connected (looped from Intellex), I always unterminate (hi-Z). However, lately the problem I have been encountering is, when I set the ports to hi-Z, the images on the Intellex becomes extremely white washed as if I did not have a device connected to the looping port...

Weird huh ??

Not weird, normal. The last device in the chain should always be terminated. Everything else should not. If the last device is unterminated and you terminate something in between, the picture will improve but it won't be proper.

Not weird, normal. The last device in the chain should always be terminated. Everything else should not. If the last device is unterminated and you terminate something in between, the picture will improve but it won't be proper.

That's exactly my point. The Intellex is between the active receiver and matrix, yet it has to be left terminated... If not, the images would look white washed...

That's exactly my point. The Intellex is between the active receiver and matrix, yet it has to be left terminated... If not, the images would look white washed...

I think you have it backwards.

The rule of thumb is if you have no termination anywhere in the chain, the images will look washed out. But if you have two or more devices in the chain terminated, the images will look dark. The more terminations in the chain, the darker the images will be.

I think you have it backwards.

The rule of thumb is if you have no termination anywhere in the chain, the images will look washed out. But if you have two or more devices in the chain terminated, the images will look dark. The more terminations in the chain, the darker the images will be.

Here is some more to validate on what survtech is stating:

Termination

From the Termination Tab, select 75 Ω or Hi-Z for each camera.

• Set the termination to 75 Ω if the loop-through is not being used.

• Select the Hi-Z if the video signal is looped to another device.

Gain Mode

From the Gain Mode tab, adjust video signals that are too bright or dark:

Choose Boost Gain to amplify the video signal.

Reduce Gain: Decrease the video signal

Normal: Default setting

Boost Gain Length of twisted pair wire

Low < 500 ft. (152 m)

Medium < 1000 ft. (305 m)

High < 1500 ft. (457 m)

These are standard setting that you should look at at the time of setting your finals... and here is where you can get more info:

http://americandynamics.net/support/Download/Tech_Docs/8200-0840-01.pdf

I am in full agreement with the info you both are providing and I fully understand the concept of termination. However, what I am trying to say, is whenever I apply proper termination to this system (meaning, unterminate looping devices and terminating the last in the chain). I am having problems with the images looking white washed and as a solution, I would have to terminate the looping device to correct the issue. I understand this is not proper, but for this system, this is what is required to obtain a usable image...

This is what I am try to explain as being weird with this system.

I apologize for not thoroughly explaining the issue before.

Are you sure the matrix is terminated? To check this, connect a cable to a matrix input that is having the problem (with nothing else in the loop) and check across the cable with an ohmmeter. You should measure 75 ohms. If it measures much higher, the matrix input isn't terminated.

I've seen this on Pelco 97xx matrices because Pelco usually ships them all set as looping from the factory. You have to pull out the VCC card and remove the I/O card from the rear of the bay and change jumpers on the last bay in a downframe to terminate position.

I'm not sure about the 6800 but you should still check the inputs with an ohmmeter.

Try something else.. Take all you cables to your switch first and verify the output and make sure that you do not have any loss of signals.... then take one output at a time, i.e. first output from the matrix and connect to Intellex port #1 and continue to see exactly what is happening.. Now, if you are taking this route, then make sure none of your cameras setting are set to "Hi Z"

We have done quite of few of these setup and and if we found a problem, it usually could have be caused because of a single or a multiple line and sometime caused by even a patch cables...

What are you cable lengths coming from your domes and cameras to this Matrix... just curious?

Also, what type of connectors are you using? crimp ons or twist ons and what rating, size, etc..? Are you using all RG-59 through and through? What if the problem is a batch of bad RG-59 BNC connectors, that is likley candidate?

I really appreciate the advice from both you guys (surv and cctv sup)...

As for the termination on the matrix. On the 6800, the only termination switch I am aware of, is on the back of the unit at each port. Is there another one in the unit, or is that the 9700?

I have to do one of these systems today. It's not very big, it's for a very small store (20 cameras). I will verify the termination on the switch and I will also run my cables to the switch first and then loop to the Intellex...I will post when the system is up and running and let you know if the problems persist..

I really appreciate the advice from both you guys (surv and cctv sup)...

As for the termination on the matrix. On the 6800, the only termination switch I am aware of, is on the back of the unit at each port. Is there another one in the unit, or is that the 9700?

I have to do one of these systems today. It's not very big, it's for a very small store (20 cameras). I will verify the termination on the switch and I will also run my cables to the switch first and then loop to the Intellex...I will post when the system is up and running and let you know if the problems persist..

Just curious - did you contact Pelco and have them solve their hardware problem??

You are welcome... I can not respond on Pelco related question and our good friend survtech will do that for you.. Once you run your cables to the matrix switch and verify the quality of the signal, then the using its independent looping output, run another patch cable and connect to appropriate port of the Intellex and that will work.

Which Intellex are you using and what hard drive capability? If you ever have any questions on Intellex, please let me know.. In case, if you customer requires more hard drive storage besides what Intellex already ships, DO NOT use their ESM (External Storage Modules), rather I can give you a lot of info in how you can increase INTERNAL storage capacity of any Intellex systems (which presently is capped at 750GB) to minimum of 2.0TB and highest to 4.0TB..

Good luck my friend and let us know what the outcome of your setup is.