scorpion

CCTV in the United Kingdom operating illegally!

CCTV in the United Kingdom are operating illegally

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1269&tag=nl.e019

According to a closed-circuit television (CCTV) expert, up to 95 percent of the CCTV systems operating in the United Kingdom are doing so illegally. Apparently, companies operating CCTV systems in the United Kingdom are required to alert the Information Commissioner of what they are doing and to put up signs warning the public that recording is taking place.

According to The Register, this revelation comes in the wake of new legislation about to take effect in Scotland that could render even more of these systems illegal.

Excerpt from the article:

From my own my experience after personally surveying many, many hundreds of buildings, I would say probably less than five percent are compliant,â€

If there not in breach of the DPA (I seriously doubt the figure is as high as 95 percent though, looking around my local area I find only a few examples of obvious DPA breaches, although who knows whats going on behind closed doors....) then they are often in breach of planning laws, to many camera's to close to each other. Or the camera's are badly setup/positioned/maintained.

The SIA is a bit of a joke from what I can see, they require that CCTV operators in public space control rooms are licenced, but the company owning the control room does not have to foot the bill for this, the poor operator does! Not only that, but one area in the UK that I know of is using volunteers from the community (like neighbourhood watch people) to man their control rooms - so they have nosey do-gooders manning the public space cameras - and the best bit is - as they are volunteers they dont need to be licenced.

So a pro, who does it for a living, who is probably highly experienced cant do it legally without shelling out for a daft licence, but a granny down the road who wants to see what her friends garden looks like on camera can do it no problem.

my guess is that it has nothing to do with need, just a money making tax triving machine..............it's hungry and it sees a source of money.

sad, but true. legislators seem to create funding for personal retirement plans and other wonderful things.

vote, vote, vote!!!!!

then they are often in breach of planning laws, to many camera's to close to each other

yep the old 10 metre rule. u need planning if the cameras are within 10 m of each other on the exterior of a building. not allways true. but still most the time. bloody uk planning regs lol.

as they are volunteers they dont need to be licenced.

thats actually not correct they should still be liscenced. ive done some major event cctv stuff in the uk and you need sia regardless of if you paid or not. if you look at the sia requirement employment status is not part of the system.

The SIA is a bit of a joke from what I can see,

well its expensive and another bloody awfull system but speaking as someone who has a cp ticket with them it is good becuase it takes all the idiots and people with non spent convictions out the loop (dependent on offence of course)

although the one BIG issue haha is that someone who has been done for armed robbery and has a SPENT conviction can still get a ticket. and this is no joke i might add!

nice reading and more scare mongering

there are no Laws that make you comply with DPA..............its a set of "Guidelines" - this came from a senior employee in DPA @ a conference i attended when it was first launched

The update in october this year again was more guidelines

Im totally in agreement that there needs to be proper control but the amount of companies who run about over here telling customers that their new system dosent comply with DPA is a joke! A D T sales people who come from a background selling carpets one week to being a Security expert the next