percy

PTZ using wireless

Has anyone used a PTZ camera over wireless. I have a client who wants a camera at the back gate (it's a large condo complex, about 1/4 mile from gate to office.) and he wants PTZ cameras. We planed to use wireless until the client through in the request for PTZ. Is it possible to get anything other than video and audio over wireless?

yes.

option 1 - IP PTZ.....use network wireless equipment. this will allow you MORE THAN JUST....

option 2 - analog PTZ..........use point to point video transmission equipment. no MORE THAN JUST

Line of site is also a concern so try to map that before you say, "I can do that".

If it were me, I'd IP it.............more expensive but easier to maintain & set up.

You can do wireless. Take into account the other responses. Also take into account the latency (delay) of the wireless system. Systems vary greatly in the delay between moving a ptz at the control and the cameras movement. This can take some getting used to if the system has a long latency. Something to keep in mind. Also the delay can be greater if you decide to have an analog ptz go into an ip converter then wireless 802.11 transmission. If you go analog I recommend a 900 mhz for control. Then depending on the line of site from the camera to the reciever take into account how clear the signal path is, i.e. clear 5.8ghz., fairly clear 2.4 ghz., a few obstructions or trees 900mhz.

hi there..

i'm using a PTZ camera and controlled through wireless signal... but the problem is my camera continuously stagged while controlled it.. what i found is my antenna was a problem... pls using a point to point antenna for sure

Radio cameras are the entire reason I joined this forum. My most unfavorite problem children. I'm looking for alternatives to what we are currently using for video & PTZ rcv/xmt.

I'll check out the Sony stuff jeffwells listed but would like more options.

We have trees, wind, and lightning. Would like digital. Any recs?

Should have probably added that we aren't looking for new cameras; just new ways of getting video from and ptz to what we have.

The wireless video side it seems you have down pretty good. Another way you can do the control is with an rs-232/422 radio modem. The costs vary greatly but do decrease the latency problem compared to wireless video/data solutions. Just do a search on rs232/422 radio modems and you will get plenty of results to research. If you pm me I will send you information on a system I use.

You can also take a look at Verint equipment. They have a 2.4 and 5.8 ghz wireless setup that does video, audio, and bi-directional 232/422/485. You also have the option of which antenna to put on, or use the attached patch antenna.

They convert the video to IP, but can transmit at up to 4cif, 30fps

Major Video encoders support all standard protocol to support PTZ functions.

Option 1 (if I/P is analog PTZ & O/P required is analog): Analog camera with PTZ control à connect to IP encoder (say AXIS 241S) à connect to wireless switch (say Motorola AP-5131-40020-WW) this will communicate to another wireless switch placed at Matrix Switcher End in the BMs room. à Install a decoder (say AXIS 292S)

Only problem here is the decoder could not separate video signal & control signal!! So controlling has to be done thro’ accessing webpage of the encoder

If analog O/P is not req. …you can skip decoder part!! certainly if the signals are on Ip...nobody want to move back to analog!!

Is there any decoder which decodes video & control signal ....input of the protocol used with some info on baudrate etc. feeded in the settigs of decoder ??

kalp.

Has anyone used a PTZ camera over wireless. I have a client who wants a camera at the back gate (it's a large condo complex, about 1/4 mile from gate to office.) and he wants PTZ cameras. We planed to use wireless until the client through in the request for PTZ. Is it possible to get anything other than video and audio over wireless?

I design, install and manage a system with 200+ cameras (fixed and PTZ), some 50+ of those are using IP video connected via 5.8GHz wireless ethernet bridges of various different types (both point-to-point and point-to-multipoint), some with up to 3 wireless hops to get back to a fibre access point, then on fibre back to a matrix switcher, then across another IP network link back to the master switcher/control room. Multiple analogue/digital/analogue conversions are ugly, but that is what you get when you work with a system that has grown over 10+ years and has to continue to support legacy equipment.

We use IndigoVision encoders/decoders with Panasonic dome cameras usign the transparent data port on the Indigo boxes to transmit the PTZ data from a Honeywell MaxPro video matrix to the Panasonic domes.

Latency in this system, even with multiple video matrix switchers remotely located from the master and multiple wireless hops out to the cameras, is virtually indistinguishable from a locally connected analogue camera (but we do have decent network bandwith to play with). Most IP video streams I run at 4CIF, 25fps, 1024kbps although on bandwidth limited links I have some throttled to 2CIF,25fps 384kbps which, with the IndigoVision codecs, still results in acceptable video quality for our purposes with no noticeable lag in control.

You can also control the Panasonic domes directly from the IndigoVision Control Centre software which means that you don't need the analogue matrix at all - it decodes and displays the images directly with full PTZ control including presets and all the other functionality and Indigo supply it at no charge. It can talk about 30 different PTZ protcols from memory.

Suffice it to say that wireless IP video transmission can and does work very well as long as the system is properly designed and dimensioned.

Disclaimer: I do not work for IndigoVision, Panasonic or any other manfacturer of CCTV, Video or wireless networking equipment; I'm merely a satisfied customer.

I'd suggest the Acti encoder/ decoders (ACD-2100 Encoder, ACD-3100 Decoder), with Ubiquiti wireless IP gear.

That will give you RS422 data pass-through for PTZ control, video, and two way audio capability, and the price point versus performance is hard to beat.

On the higher end, the Verint stuff is nice, but I've had just as good results with the gear I listed above, for a lot less money.