sillared

Need ideas for 12-16 channel DVR or Just 4 channel DVR

Ok.. Completely new to this, been browsing a bit. .

Doing this for next to nothing as a learning experience.

Customer has an old 8 camera VCR system he wants to replace... Wants to keep the price down, and have images that should hold up in court if needed.

Hes been playing with A QLR0444 4 channel PC based system, which seems to work "well for the price", and is thinking about adding a 2nd qlr0444 for a total of 8 cameras..

Compression is software based, first 8 cameras run a Pentium D Dual core 3.2 ghz system with 2 gig ram at roughly 65% cpu useage. Talking to Lorex, they said a second set of 4 can be added without maxing the cpu.. ???? Guess I have to believe them there. I build and troubleshoot computers on the side, so I`m at least knowledgeable on the computer hardware side of things for some background. Computer will also be used to interface with inventory POS software Perennial Pro, which uses minimal cpu cycles and resources.

He/we also been dabbling with some older hardware, a lorex SG17Q2041 and wants to hook up a DVR to the system instead of a VCR. From what I`ve gleaned from this forum, that will burn up alot of hard drive space because the two systems dont work well together, and will constantly record at roughly 6 gig per camera per day? Would a hybrid of this type be worth looking into doing as a budget system or is it more pain than its worth?

The whole point of this exercise is to improve video quality, and get rid of the 2 vcr`s and monitors, have a system that doesnt require tape switching etc, and allows remote access to check on things from home.. The option to possibly add more cameras in the future, up to a total of 12 or 16 probably isnt a bad idea..

Recommendations and links if possible please?

I am pretty happy with the Avermedia 1304net. it's a 4 channel.

you can add more units to get more channels, the software allows you to control multiple dvrs.

the web interface is good, and so far working reliably.