blowrabbit

Does wavejet give a better picture than wavelet?

As far as I know, the Wavejet technology from GE used on the DVMRe/Storesafe improves the compression algorithm to be able to store twice as much video per megabyte versus wavelet. There are no claims of better picture quality.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the DVMRe records at 320x240 and the remote viewing over IP is also 320x240 at least for the models I am familiar with.

It is solid as a rock, though.

Is that considered 2cif? and is this more a consideration of size than quality?

QVGA = 320x240

CIF = 352 x 240

VGA = 640x480

2CIF = 704 x 240

D1 = 720x480

Thing is, the StoreSafe and DVRMe's I have in the field, still use Wavelet, they are not the PRO or II versions though. They record in at least VGA or D1 (not 100% sure)

As far as I know, the Wavejet technology from GE used on the DVMRe/Storesafe improves the compression algorithm to be able to store twice as much video per megabyte versus wavelet. There are no claims of better picture quality.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the DVMRe records at 320x240 and the remote viewing over IP is also 320x240 at least for the models I am familiar with.

It is solid as a rock, though.

So Rory, I assume this guy is mistaken regarding the 320x240,

and I assume that the dvrme's you've got in the field record at vga or 2cif?

So Rory, I assume this guy is mistaken regarding the 320x240,

and I assume that the dvrme's you've got in the field record at vga or 2cif?

I cant say for certain. But the specs for the Video is:

Horizontal Resolution: 720 pixels

Vertical Resolution: 484 active lines

Now, they have 3 settings for record and these adjust the compression, HIGH, MED, LOW. Dont think these have anything to do with the resolution, and as far as I know, from viewing recorded video on, well many many occasions, it definitely looks like it is recording in 720x480, or at least not 320x240; on a large monitor in full view 1 camera, great quality.

Only way to know for certain, is to set the quality to HIGH, the use the monitor out to a Video capture card, and check the video resolution like that. However that still depends on what setting you set the video to, so not sure if that will work. I can email a contact at GE to find out if it is .. cough .. that important .. let me know.

I do have a DSR-1000 right here, so I could plug it in etc, though I have no capture card right now, or at least not installed in my PC (lot of work).

Rory

just looked at the Mobileview PDF, it claims:

The MobileView system can support up to eight NTSC/PAL

cameras-color, monochrome, or both. The stored or captured

images have a resolution of up to 720 x 243 pixels. Images are

displayed at 720 x 486 pixels.

From the internet it seems there is confusion among manufacturers and others what that 720x240 is, most point towards HALF-D1 though, especially since 720 doest not calculate to any lower CIF values.

Cant say if this is the same for all their DVRs though.

I would be happy to be proven wrong. I am recording at High quality and there is a big difference between the live video and the recorded video which cannot be attributed to compression alone. If I look at diaganol lines in the picture, it appears to confirm that the recording is at 240 horizontal lines but it could be full 640/720 wide.

I will try to hook a DVMRe up to a video capture so I can post actual pictures.

I am using the monitor output (Over the web interface the live and recorded look the same.) I tried to post some captures but I am getting "Could not access ftp directory: 'attachments/thumbs'. Please check your FTP Settings"

My experience (having seen GE DVR's with Wavelet & WaveJet side by side) is that at max quality settings, the images were very similar in terms of resolution and quality.

However, the WaveJet images had noticeably more artefacts at lower quality settings than the comparable Wavelet images. Note this was observed on a unit working in PAL, but I would expect similar results in NTSC (if anyone can confirm or contradict this, by all means do so).

The streaming performance of WaveJet was also noticeably better than Wavelet, although it's still not in the same class as MPEG4 systems.

Re image resolution - to the best of my knowledge all models of DVMRE's (whether CT, CTII, Pro, StoreSafe) always recorded one field (NOT a complete frame, which consists of two fields) , therefore they would be classed as 2CIF.