camelwalk

Avermedia NV6480 exp Frame rate

We've built a ton of 32-channel boxes with the 6480 and it's a great product.

We mostly sell Geovision, but for 32 channels this is the best solution we've found.

You CAN get full framerate at full resolution, but it requires a top-of-the-line CPU.

I was looking to build a single card system. At the cards max frame rate and resolution what kind of burden is on the cpu, and further to that what cpu do you recommend ( avermedia suggests "Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU is basic requirement." ). Could you also tell me how much hard drive consumption can be expected at this same frame rate/ resolution.

Thanks.......Mark

We have only really installed Geo and have had more requests for 32 camera systems. How do you find the software and video quality compare between the two?

Geovision has many more features, but many of them are never used by the vast majority of customers anyway.

In terms of basic functionality, they're pretty similar.

Geovision has superior PTZ support and far better POS integration.

But for a standard installation they're comparable.

In terms of CPU for the EXP6480, you don't need anything crazy to do 'regular' framerates like a GV-1480, i.e. 480FPS at CIF, 120FPS at D1.

The high-end CPU is required only if you want to go for full framerate at D1.

For that I'd just use the cheapest quad-core and make sure you load that sucker up with 2GB+ of RAM.

For disk space, you're going to need a LOT if you try full framerate. 32-channels 960FPS at D1 with normal usage will probably burn through 1-2TB per week.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I have been eyeing up these boards for sometime, but we have so many Geo systems working so well that we didn't want to use different cards for only a few sites. Now I am re-thinking changing from 2-16 Cam Geo's for large installs to 1 Aver 32 cam system might be a good option.

How does the video quality compare?

Remote View?

Is the software the same for both this card and the more basic 5000 card?

Is this card directly comparable to the GV-1480 card?

I am thinking of ordering a Aver-5000 card just so I can test out the software before I buy everything for a 32 cam dvr.

Do you have any video clips or back up's from an aver system I could check out?

I still prefer the Geovision for most situations, but there are two gaps in their line that Aver fills. One is the 32-channel machine, and the other is their little 4-channel embedded unit that is CHEAP and works with the same free CMS software they give you (basically just a fancier remote client.)

Check this thing out, for 4-channel jobs it's hugely popular for residential and mom and pop retail situations:

http://www.digitalwatchguard.com/securitycameras/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=192&idproduct=4645

Back to the 6480, the software is exactly the same for the NV3000, 5000, and the 6420 and 6480.

This card is comparable to the 1480, except that the framerate is variable and will give you more frames than the Geovision if you use quality hardware. It's not as tight as the Geovision GV-2008, but that's not a directly comparable card anyway.

Video quality, which has never been Geovision's strong suit, is about the same on the Aver.

I don't have any clips handy but I'll see if I can get something for you.

Thanks for your input, just for clarification, do you require a quad core CPU for a 16 channel system running at D1, or will the E6600 processer work in this case. I would also be interested on seeing the video quality difference between Geo and the Aver.

Thanks for the great information camelwalk, I really appreciate it. I just ordered a 3000 card to test out the software and quality, but it won't be here for a while.

Thanks for your input, just for clarification, do you require a quad core CPU for a 16 channel system running at D1, or will the E6600 processer work in this case. I would also be interested on seeing the video quality difference between Geo and the Aver.

You don't really need the quadcore, the E6600 seems to work well. It's tough to tell whether or not you're truly getting 30FPS though... but it does look good!

I've decided to go with the Aver 6480 cards for a new 32 cam DVR we are building this week. Here are a few questions I have for the Avermedia Guru's:

1) Can you view all 32 cams on the same screen, the info says only 16 that I've read.

2) How many cameras can be viewed on the web client?

3) What M.B's do peole use or like for these cards?

4) How do they work with decent on board video?

Cheers.

I don't know about the web client offhand, but you do get 32 channels on the local machine.

The spot output is 16 max but it can switch back and forth to show all 32.

We use Gigabyte motherboards for all of our systems, either a 945P or P35.

Don't even try it with onboard video. This is a HIGH END system, don't try to cut any corners.

For best results, I recommend you just let us build it for you

Thanks for all the answers Camelwalk. I wish I could have bought it from you, but I've already ordered the cards and PC with 3X 750 Gb drives, 2 GB ram and a quad core processor. Plus I'm located in Canada which isn't great for service issues.

The reason I asked about the onboard video is with Geo cards I haven't seen any difference between a decent on board intel video and a dedicated card, so I didn't know if there would be a big difference with Avermedia. I've found that there are much fewer driver issues and overall less problems if the onboard video can do a good job, at least for Geo.

No problem. I would not recommend onboard video for any card that has the real-time DSP overlay. For the lower-end cards it's fine, we build cheap machines with a 945GC board for those.

But to save $30 it's not worth it, just get a cheap 128MB PCI-E card and you'll be all set. We use a Gigabyte X1050.

Thanks a lot Camelwalk. We have a bunch of Ati PCI express cards on hand, so I'll use one of them. You help is very much appreciated. So far, I like the Avermedia cards quite a bit, but like you, I still prefer the Geo's.

Thanks a lot Camelwalk. We have a bunch of Ati PCI express cards on hand, so I'll use one of them. You help is very much appreciated. So far, I like the Avermedia cards quite a bit, but like you, I still prefer the Geo's.

There really isnt much difference in using a separate PCI Express card these days, or onboard video. Back in the day with slow PCs it would have made a difference, especially with SIS and other sucky onboard video chips. Current Intel onboard video chipsets are fine now though, at least since the 950. Also, all that is for is the live video and has no effect on the DSP output, and quality will not differ unless you are going to actually use the DVI on the LCD monitor, which for that you will need the separate card. In fact with the Geo Combo cards, if you use the DSP settings, direct draw overlay is disabled on the live video. Also quality on LCD monitors are still not as good as CRTs, yet everyone uses them now regardless.

On the flip side, if you have the card though, use it. Also 256MB PCI-e Cards with ATI chipsets cost as low as $40 now. Only reason I can see not to use it is if building a Micro system, where you want to keep the heat down to a minimum, and even with a Combo card, it can be a great machine.

Rory, google ADD-2 add on card for the Intel graphics. It will let you add DVI or HDMI. Some of the boards now even come with DVI or HDMI on them. In either case you can now have dual displays with on board graphics if you so choose. I had one that had a config for 4 displays, however I have no clue how you get 4 ports on an x3000.

Yes, but even with the X1300 chipset, there is no DVI by default, in fact I still havent seen a motherboard yet with the DVI; which model are you using that has DVI? If you are adding a card to it, might as well make it a PCI-e card one time hey

Look at this little firecracker.

A. It's mini ITX so it's not much bigger then a CD case.

B. It already has DVI, VGA and HDMI on it.

C. It's got 2 RS232 COM ports, so you can do RS232 and RS485 without USB.

The ADD-2 is dirt cheap.

Really I gathered all this from the theater side of stuff it's not too needed for CCTV. In the theater you have to watch for DVI and HDMI as they are the only ones capable of carring future copywrited materials. For CCTV there isn't much point in it so save $ when you can.

Yeah, but Mini ITX wont really work for us

In fact unless the case can use a standard ATX PSU I dont even look at it ..

For a MicroATX DVR we can just stick in a PCI-e card for $40.

PS. where is the link though?

Yeah but the Mini ITX case wont support a normal ATX PSU ..

If Im using a Micro or Full Atx Case, then I would have no use for this mobo

I looked into mini cases for DVRs before, found a manu that does the mobo and cases out of Asia, also provides risers for PCI etc, so would be able to build your own Mini DVR, they would even badge them etc .. but then yah know .. living down here its not going to happen in my lifetime.

And with our power and import issues here, would need to keep a load of spare PSUs for those cases. .. Standard ATX we can get .. with minimal problems.

Update:

I've built the system and thigns look good but I can't find the turbo button for 960fps recording. I have a Core 2 Duo in there.

Got it figured out. The Turbo button doesn't appear until you have cameras connected to it. Pretty decent video quality, and real time. It's actually quite impressive.