metapts

Are wireless cameras reliable?

I'm looking to do install 21 cameras at a large apartment complex. For the other installations I've done, wiring and labor have cost me more than the actual cameras and recorders. So, one way to prevent this would be to install wireless cameras.

1. How reliable is wireless? Can you get 640x480 images at at least 4 fps?

2. Will 21 wireless cameras create too much traffic?

Thanks.

I'd go G wirless into a Giga hard wired....

reliability is going to be measured on how well you engineer the wireless backbone.

another issue will be finding a decent cost effective OUTDOOR IP camera. You'll also need POE type routers & AP's.

I don't see the wiring as the issue here since each and every IP wireless camera is still wired to a plug anyway? Maybe you need to stick with wired and go with POE on all? It's quicker to install CAT5 and the connections are quick. Only down side is setting up the camera view at the install location....laptop will be needed.

I like using the Axis 207MW BUT there is no weather proof version in this price range. If I could stuff the 207MW into a housing and add POE for the same price I'd be happy!

Also consider the fairly new Axis 211w...it's a little nicer than the 207 and can be used with an outdoor enclosure (of course anything can with a little creativity). I am also in agreement to use wired when possible...the PoE is REALLY nice for installing and resetting.

I have used 18 wireless cameras in one location with no issues. Let me know if any more questions regarding software, hardware.

100 miliwatt analog wireless cameras are not reliable in long distances, or where you are penetrating several walls.

(300 feet line of sight).

IMHO wireless is a no-no.

I have tried to have a reliable network wireless camera system, but there are 2 things that usually cause trouble:

1. wireless may disconnect and not recover until the camera is rebooted. this can be a problem if the camera is located in a hard to reach spot.

2. wireless interference and signal variations can cause wide fluctuations in the frame rate.

You never know when another wireless station will pop up in the area, and might be on the same channel. of course auto channel is supposed to take care of this, not all cameras are auto channel.

various building materials and objects can create major headaches in getting sufficient signal strength. if the signal path is in the way of cars, doors and other barriers, the signal strength can fluctuate as the environment is altered (car parked then leaves, door open/closed, etc).

also you still have to get power to the camera, so it isn't really "wireless", unless the mounting spot already has power.

also keep in mind that each wireless channel (assuming 802.11 G) is 54Mbps. it should be isolated from any other potential users to keep the network free of unwanted bandwidth loss.

maybe there are tricks that can make wireless stable and reliable, but I have not found this to be true.

The main wireless camera that I used of any quality was the

Axis 207w.

Wireless Routers are notorious for dropping connections, and having issues with wireless. Just a never ending battle to get it working and stay working. I always seem to buy the worst wireless router on the market, there are so many duds.

Never had a problem with wired network cameras. in the long run its cheaper and more reliable.

I'd really like to know what wireless routers and cameras other people have been successful with.

Edited by Guest

Also consider the fairly new Axis 211w...it's a little nicer than the 207 and can be used with an outdoor enclosure (of course anything can with a little creativity). I am also in agreement to use wired when possible...the PoE is REALLY nice for installing and resetting.

I have used 18 wireless cameras in one location with no issues. Let me know if any more questions regarding software, hardware.

yeah but the 207 w is only $300 and the 211 w is $700 !

I like using the Axis 207MW BUT there is no weather proof version in this price range. If I could stuff the 207MW into a housing and add POE for the same price I'd be happy!

I am trying to come up with a decent housing for the 207W/MW.

I found a few acrylic dome housings that might work, but adds $150 to the cost of the camera.

I thought of just getting a PVC case from home depot and siliconing a window in the top plate. mounting the camera inside that. Worried about heat dissipation, which isnt much.

I'm a true believe in 'you get what you pay for' so yes the 211w is more expensive than the 207w. The 211 is indoor/outdoor while the 207 is not. The 211 is absolutely a more reliable, sturdy camera but the 207 can be a good option.

Isn't there an enclosure for the 207?

I'm a true believe in 'you get what you pay for' so yes the 211w is more expensive than the 207w. The 211 is indoor/outdoor while the 207 is not. The 211 is absolutely a more reliable, sturdy camera but the 207 can be a good option.

Isn't there an enclosure for the 207?

yes for the 207/206 but doesnt fit for 207w

You can use the ach13 with the 211w. It actually works well with me pointing the antennae down right out the cable hole.

If you're in an area of extreme weather you'll want the one with heater/blower. If it doesn't get above 105 or below 20 for a long time then the indoor version works great outdoors (less $$).

I am also looking for a housing for an axis 207w that will work outside. I can't imagine how you would stick the antennae out of the cable hole. Could you explain this a little more?

Thanks

keith

ps. I have been trying to find a "plastic" enclosure with heter/fan that would work but not luck there. I have also made a homemade encloure but can't find a heater/fan for it.

You can use the ach13 with the 211w. It actually works well with me pointing the antennae down right out the cable hole.

If you're in an area of extreme weather you'll want the one with heater/blower. If it doesn't get above 105 or below 20 for a long time then the indoor version works great outdoors (less $$).

For that many cameras, I'd think about using "N" rate wireless. I have been using some new equipment from Ubiquiti that is working great, and would not cost too much for your application (much less per cam than the difference in cost between Axis models).

Take a look at http://ubnt.com/products/nsm.php ,this unit will also allow you to power it and a PoE camera through it with one cable.

The wireless "N" protocol is also optimized for carrying multiple streams. It also provides more resistance against interference, and at apartments, you are going to have quite a bit of it.

Their stuff is designed for wireless ISP's, where cost and performance are both concerns.

Also, if you have more than one camera in a location you can cable back to a single point, you'll save even more over Wi-Fi type cameras. Plus, the camera is not always going to be in the best spot for the wireless link back to the headend.

For that many cameras, I'd think about using "N" rate wireless. I have been using some new equipment from Ubiquiti that is working great, and would not cost too much for your application (much less per cam than the difference in cost between Axis models).

Take a look at http://ubnt.com/products/nsm.php ,this unit will also allow you to power it and a PoE camera through it with one cable.

The wireless "N" protocol is also optimized for carrying multiple streams. It also provides more resistance against interference, and at apartments, you are going to have quite a bit of it.

Their stuff is designed for wireless ISP's, where cost and performance are both concerns.

Also, if you have more than one camera in a location you can cable back to a single point, you'll save even more over Wi-Fi type cameras. Plus, the camera is not always going to be in the best spot for the wireless link back to the headend.

Great find hardwired!!!!

Wireless will work but don't count on it with consumer grade linksys access points. YOU MUST DO SITE SURVEYS and look into Engenius and Ubiquiti for your wireless solution. In my experience if you can get a wire there it is cheaper and more reliable to run the wire. If you have to trench a parking lot and you have LOS, go wireless.

Edited by Guest

Great find hardwired!!!!

Wireless will work but don't count on it will consumer grade linksys access points. YOU MUST DO SITE SURVEYS and look into Engenius and Ubiquiti for your wireless solution. In my experience if you can get a wire there it is cheaper and more reliable to run the wire. If you have to trench a parking lot and you have LOS, go wireless.

Indeed, wireless is not a "plug & pray" solution, it takes a fair amount of planning to make a reliable system.

I neglected to mention another solution I have used at an apartment complex: DSL extenders. If you can get access to unused pairs from phone trunk cables in the complex, this provides a very reliable solution for sending IP video around.

Take a look at this for the headend http://netsys-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=NVF-2400S ,and this for the cam end http://netsys-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=NVF-200R

These provided me with a rock solid 15 meg per link at the distances in the complex I installed it at.